Can I handle a very bold and confident dog?

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Can I handle a very bold and confident dog?

Postby JTracyII » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:40 am

TruAblePup wrote:
Bruce Schwartz wrote:
TruAblePup wrote:
What do you guys honestly think? Should I go for the most dominant dog of the litter or get something a bit more laid back?

TP

I'd vote for something a bit more laid back. You're going to love the dog no matter what, and it'll be a PIA a fair amount of the time no matter what, so getting the best fit for your family is preferable to getting a high torque animal that nobody's going to like. Your breeder should be able to steer you to the best dog for your purposes. I haven't read the other thread but I'd say you need a griffon - they're lovable, clownish, biddable, and love to hunt.

Thanks Bruce, but it's a DD for me. In know the parents (esp. the sire) and am excited about what they will produce.

I am going to let the breeder make the choice for me, because I will only have a short time to decide. But I will tell him everything he needs to know to make the best choice. He has a wealth of experience. It would be stupid of me to think that I could see something meaningful enough in a pup in one visit to out-weight the breeder's suggestion for me.

I really appreciate all the help guys!

Speaking in terms of generalities, but your average GWP, DD, GSP, DK, etc. is going to be more dominant than your more dominant griffs, per se, so in my mind your probably better off going with a middle of the pack DD temperament if your concerned about getting a dog that is too dominant.
JTracyII
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:37 pm

What are these dogs like? Are they decent pets? Naturally well mannered? Or are they super high strung dogs, "chainsaws" to quote 3D's.

I really think there are three different traits being discussed that are sort of related, but only tangentially.

1) Bold/Confidence
2) dominance
3) prey drive

My dog, as an example, is confident/bold. He has a high prey drive. He is not what I consider dominant. He's pretty relaxed around just about every dog he's met. He doesn't roll over but he doesn't pick on other dogs either.

I also think some people use "dominance " to describe behavior that is probably more accurately attributed to insecurity, poor socialization, or other mental flaws. Also, most behaviors can be attributed to "dominance " without trying real hard, from barking to humping to aggression of any sort to the dog testing you.

If you pick the litter right, you should have a good idea what you get regardless of what they look or a
act like as infants.
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Urban_Redneck » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:32 am

JONOV wrote:
I really think there are three different traits being discussed that are sort of related, but only tangentially.

1) Bold/Confidence
2) dominance
3) prey drive

My dog, as an example, is confident/bold. He has a high prey drive. He is not what I consider dominant. He's pretty relaxed around just about every dog he's met. He doesn't roll over but he doesn't pick on other dogs either.

I also think some people use "dominance " to describe behavior that is probably more accurately attributed to insecurity, poor socialization, or other mental flaws. Also, most behaviors can be attributed to "dominance " without trying real hard, from barking to humping to aggression of any sort to the dog testing you.

If you pick the litter right, you should have a good idea what you get regardless of what they look or a
act like as infants.

I agree.

My BA girl is hardly dominate, she fine with other dogs and she's even friends with the stray cat I feed. I believe she is bold and confident in the field and demonstrates what appears to be an overdeveloped prey drive- she treed a bear in the pre-dawn, Sunday morning :oops:
Urban_Redneck
Seasoned
Seasoned

Previous

Return to General Discussion