How to choose "pick of the litter"

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

How to choose "pick of the litter"

Postby TruAblePup » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:47 am

Hi all,

I am about to pick out a pup from Buffeltaler Kennel. I have pick of the litter. I know the sire pretty well form first hand experience in the field and have researched the Bitches and Sire history.

What I am looking for? A confident, biddable dog, that has no quit in him while hunting.

I dont want any dog aggression. We have another adult dog at home now.

The breeder has been watching the litter, and I will obviously take his suggestion very seriously. But how would you go about choosing your pup? What signs I am looking for?
TruAblePup
Started
Started

Re: How to choose "pick of the litter"

Postby Urban_Redneck » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:38 am

Ideally, I'd like to visit with litter at least once before I have to pick. All else being equal, the pup that runs to greet me on the second (or third) visit is the one I'd most likely choose.
Urban_Redneck
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby orhunter » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:34 am

Agree with the Redneck. Let the pup pick you. Prior to that day, give each potential choice equal time alone with you and see which one remembers. Good luck if they all remember.....
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Kirby » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:53 am

Wrongly...but that's just my luck :)
Kirby
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Willie T » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:55 pm

Many have different ideas. So here I go. First cull the bullies. Then I like the puppies who want to be off exploring by themself and not whining to get back to mama when separated. After I have identified those, I like to see how they react to bird scent, strange sounds, and a thrown bird wing. Sometimes there is a standout, but unless you have several days to observe, it's a crapshoot which one will turn out the best. I honestly think getting a pup from the right liter/breeder is more important. What you do after you get it is just as important.
Good luck with your new puppy.
Willie T
Willie T
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby hicntry » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:19 pm

You can tell which dog is the leader (most confident) by kicking back and and observing how the pups react to each other rather than how they react to you. Just leave them alone and watch them for a few hours and they will tell you what you need to know. Beats all the guesswork because the environment has already had too much influence on the pups behavior.
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:57 pm

I have made 5 pick of the litter over the years. I observe the litter 3 times if I can. Turn the puppies out in the yard and watch them. I like the pup that will go exploring using it's nose as it goes. I much prefer a pup which is more interested in exploring boldly the new world all around it, vs the one that wants to run to me and be with me. I like a bold dog and it has worked out well for me. They have been very naturally talented but not always the easiest puppy to train for OB in the presence of game. I will take that tradeoff every time.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:00 pm

AverageGuy wrote:I have made 5 pick of the litter over the years. I observe the litter 3 times if I can. Turn the puppies out in the yard and watch them. I like the pup that will go exploring using it's nose as it goes. I much prefer a pup which is more interested in exploring boldly the new world all around it, vs the one that wants to run to me and be with me. I like a bold dog and it has worked out well for me. They have been very naturally talented but not always the easiest puppy to train for OB in the presence of game. I will take that tradeoff every time.

+1
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Coveyrise64 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:08 pm

AverageGuy wrote:I have made 5 pick of the litter over the years. I observe the litter 3 times if I can. Turn the puppies out in the yard and watch them. I like the pup that will go exploring using it's nose as it goes. I much prefer a pup which is more interested in exploring boldly the new world all around it, vs the one that wants to run to me and be with me. I like a bold dog and it has worked out well for me. They have been very naturally talented but not always the easiest puppy to train for OB in the presence of game. I will take that tradeoff every time.

+2
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

"There are always going to be those who prefer to freeze in the dark rather than put forth the effort to light a fire." ~ Lvrdg07
Coveyrise64
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby greg jacobs » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:16 pm

I picked the most independent,the most dominant female in the litter. As a very young pup she would put a foot on the head of the pup next to her and hold it away from the food while she ate. I ended up with exactly that. She is the smartest most independent,biggest running dog I've ever owned. She is probably the best bird finder I've ever had.
That being said don't mistake smart as being a synonym for biddable. With her it was a polar opposite. I thought I knew what I had but she took it to another level. Had I really understood I would have trained a little differently. She has been a real pain in the rear. It wears on me always trying to be one step ahead of her.
My youngest pup isn't nearly as smart but has been much easier to train. Much more pleasant to hunt with. He doesn't test me every minute of the day. He acts on instinct instead of being a thinker. Far easier.
greg jacobs
Started
Started

Postby orhunter » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:47 am

Although I pretty much agree with all the suggestions and the independence factor is the one I'd use, we need to remember we're dealing with 8 week old pups. Their personalities are not well established and once we get the little blobs of clay in our nurturing hands, we can form them into whatever we want them to be. The one type of pup I'd avoid like the plague is a timid one. A breeder needs to really make an effort to stress the pups at an early age to help in identifying them or to toughen them up and avoid the issue altogether.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby cjm » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:48 pm

You can find older threads on here asking this question. Some people have very specific ways they look at pups, some just go with their gut, and others say you can't tell a lot at 8 weeks and so you should pick the breeder/litter and don't worry about which pup you get out of a good litter. I agree with the latter. If a dog comes from a consistent breeder and consistent pedigree, I feel good about any of the pups. I'd guess that the pup who seems most bold when you visit might be the pup who would have laid down the whole time if you visited the day before. But it's your choice and you have to feel like you did what you can - just don't stress too much if it's a good breeding.
cjm
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:28 pm

cjm wrote: I'd guess that the pup who seems most bold when you visit might be the pup who would have laid down the whole time if you visited the day before.

Not been the case in my experience, rather the top bold pups are consistent. That is why they are at the top. But looking at the litter more than once is what I do and recommend.

Starting with a pairing of solid dogs is a given, or should be.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby TobyTx » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:57 pm

If it's a good litter, they should all be pretty good and uniform depending on if it's a line breeding correct guys? So pick of the litter shouldn't mean much? I guess it depends on in you and your abilities or lack thereof of that the breeder should go by as to your "pick of the litter".
Cabo vom Sendero vjp 69 hzp np
TobyTx
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:05 am

That is what gets repeated alot. That line of thinking allows those who have no control over which puppy they get to not worry about it and believe theirs is as good as another, and it allows Breeders to not have to deal with 8-12 buyers all clamoring for Pick of the Litter ...

Environment makes a huge difference and with good development a well bred litter will produce good results. That does not negate there are a couple of standouts in the litter however.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Next

Return to General Discussion