The new pup

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

The new pup

Postby ryanr » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:34 pm

Ok, first I'll apologize for lack of photos. Never been much at posting photos on the forum and now with photobucket's death I'm lost. Any simple ideas for posting photos here? (keep in mind I typically use my smart phone and not a PC)

Anyway, Hazel has been with me 2 weeks now today and she's really something! Quite smart and quick to learn and already too fast- man this 10wk old pup has wheels! She picks up things with ease. She can be feisty and sometimes has a helluva puppy bite but she's gotten much better and is quickly learning that's not the way to go. She and my big male DD seem to get along well although they play a bit too rough so I watch them closely and step in every now and then. She really goes at him sometimes, got him by the upper lip the other day and made him squeal. Thought for sure he was going to retaliate but amazingly he was restrained but also visibly not too happy.

At first I was taking her with me to work. I can't bring her into the building but I can go out to her at least 3 times a day and play with her- 15 minutes at mid-morning, about an hour at lunch and another 15 minutes in the afternoon. Not ideal but certainly not a bad setup. I parked under a shade tree and she spent the idle time in her crate with a bunch of chew toys. I did this as a pup with my now 5yr old DD and it worked out fine. Well a week into it some busy body called the cops & animal control because she didnt like it. Yup, rather than talk to me (I thought we were friends) she called the cops & AC without me knowing! A real a_ _hole move in my book. End result I took the dog home and won't ever bring her back. So now she spends 2 days a week at my sister's playing with her dog and my nieces and nephews (she's wore out when I pick her up.) And the other 3 she has to stay in her crate at home for almost 10 hours. All because some emotional busybody doesn't know jack about raising dogs. To my amazement I came home yesterday and she peed on the newspaper once or twice but somehow held off on #2 until I promptly let her out.
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: The new pup

Postby cohanzick creek » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:15 pm

good luck with your new pup
cc
cohanzick creek
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby SMAbby » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:20 pm

regarding the new puppy, if there are no pictures, it never happened! LMAO Congrats on the pup.

As far as the busy body, they are everwhere anymore. This isnt the same place I was born into 43 years ago.
VC Max vom Schutzenknapp VJP 75, HZP190, VGP 303 PI 4H Nose, NA 112, UT 204 Invite 196
Baja vom Wamsbach VJP 64, HZP 169, NA 112
Anka vom Loofkamp VJP 66, HZP 139, NA 112
Krystal Creeks Untamed Spirit ( Abby) NA 93 Prize III UT 200 Prize II
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GFORCE » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:02 am

I take Packer with me all the time. He comes into the office with me and when I am on a sales call he stays in the truck.
If its around 70 or cooler I leave the windows down and park in shade. If its hotter I leave the AC on for him. One day I
have to go back out to the truck and the customer comes with me she says " YOU LEFT YOUR DOG IN THE TRUCK???" I said
its 70 degrees! He has his mouth open but not panting and she says " LOOK HE'S HOT!" "DO YOU HAVE WATER FOR HIM?" Yes I do
right here. Then she notices he isn't cut and says "YOU DIDN'T NEUTER HIM???"

My Sister In Law has poured water through an open window to a dog. It wasn't even panting. I told her if someone pours water
into my vehicle they better run.

My wife asks everyday if anyone has called the cops. So far so good. I am sure it will happen eventually.
GFORCE
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby ryanr » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:43 pm

We had another NAVHDA chapter training this past weekend and I was very happy with my 5yr old male, he had almost entirely clean field runs and his delivery was much more direct. He had one odd drop while running back in from the retrieve. Other than that his steadiness and cooperation was excellent. I had a couple of live chukars leftover and we pulled the primaries from one and dropped it in the grass for the pup. She came in cross wind and acknowledged it briefly as soon as she hit scent. Then when it hopped up she saw it and pointed it. When it flapped its wings and tried to fly though she got a little unsure and backed up. But every time it moved and ran away she pursued it. She's still just a little young though but light bulbs are starting to turn on for her. She loved carrying around the dead chukar I gave her though! Interestingly, my 5yr old male had pointed, intensely, his first birds on scent by the 10wk mark and I shot a pheasant over him at 12wks old (which in hindsight was a mistake I won't repeat with her.)

Speaking of my male, I've been limiting their play time together and supervising it and overall he's been real good with her, quite tolerant especially with her nipping and sharp puppy teeth. However over the weekend his patience was really tested and I think he was about at his limit. The issue is she really goes at him when they play and he's very tolerant and not too physical but then she starts nipping- hard. And when she decides he starts getting too much for her she gets snappy at him. She's got that typical "piranha" thing going right now. Twice she got him in the lip hard and he then grabbed her by the neck. He didn't bite her but squeezed just enough until she yelped, then he let go. But both times he tensed right up and I could read his body language that he was not happy at all. I shut down their play time together then immediately each time. At first I was very worried he was going bite or kill her (pictured him shaking her hard like he does killing ground hogs) but felt better that he let go as soon as she yelped.

After discussing it with my breeder he felt too that my male was trying to teach her that she can't behave like that with other dogs and she needs to learn that but he said to definitely limit their play time together to maybe 10-15 minutes a day (he mentioned he hasn't allowed his two pups to play with the big dogs at his kennel yet. Basically until she gets some more size and gets rid of her puppy teeth/ learns better manners with her nipping. When I run them together things are fine, he does his thing and she tries to keep up but he can get his space easily. It's mostly in the house where I really seem to have to limit their time together. I've been mindful of triying to give him a fair amount of attention too but the reality is that of course the pup is getting more attention right now and I think that's been part of the recent friction and then the hard nipping from her frustrates him further. I'm pretty sure they'll be fine together once we get past that initial puppy phase (I also started focusing on shutting down that "piranha phase" better and teacher her that is not acceptable (she's gotten a few leash corrections and even a swat on the butt or two when she's snapped at and bit me hard). Going at my ankles has almost stopped entirely too because I keep walking and she's caught a heel in the face or a knee when she jumps up to bite at my shorts, etc. And she gets rewarded (with praise & click & treat) for good behaviors. She's smart and quickly responding well, not near the level of PIA stubborn that my male was, thank goodness too. I don't need two like that.
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:59 am

And she's got a nose! Yup, on our daily field trips she's really started using her nose more this week more and more, and not just with nose to the ground but she's lifting her head and to find interesting scents on the air current. Of course, this has been mostly to find deer poop, but hey it's a start! She loves to pick up and carry sticks and stuff too. She's really starting to respond to her name a lot this week and comes running to me for a treat. She's learning & responding to NO quite well too. All of this is being accomplished right now via nothing more than conditioning. She picks things up quickly. I'm really enjoying her and excited for the future.
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Urban_Redneck » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:54 am

SMAbby wrote:regarding the new puppy, if there are no pictures, it never happened! LMAO Congrats on the pup.

The pup exists! Ryan brought her by Hickory Run NAVHDA on Saturday (UT/NA test day 1) She's a doll, and was very well behaved with my falsely pregnant, BA :D

I might have a photo, but have the same upload issue :(
Urban_Redneck
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby ryanr » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:36 pm

Thanks UR! FYI, I was running the dogs up there this weekend and my male slammed on a point right near the test parking area. I start walking in and out flushes a pretty cockbird! The pup never saw it but the older dog scoured every inch of that field twice after that looking for more.
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Urban_Redneck » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:28 am

ryanr wrote:Thanks UR! FYI, I was running the dogs up there this weekend and my male slammed on a point right near the test parking area. I start walking in and out flushes a pretty cockbird! The pup never saw it but the older dog scoured every inch of that field twice after that looking for more.

Probably an escapee from the track :D Should be a chuckar or two running around as well.
Urban_Redneck
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby ryanr » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:04 am

Yup, that's what I figured as well. I didn't bother with bringing the shotgun as the leftover chukars probably got hunted up within a day or two of the test. Last year I hunted them up that Monday morning, I even got a double off 1 point. And Rich J. also cleaned the field up of chukars that day too. I'm betting he did it again this year as well.
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:15 am

Something cool happened over the weekend with the pup. Actually a couple things. She's 14wks old now and she loves water but she's hesitant on fully committing to swim. First couple times were by accident when she went charging in after my male and suddenly realized she was over head. She first tried to climb onto his back then turned and puppy-chopped her way back to me. Well Saturday after a late afternoon run she again followed my male into a pond. Again she got a little nervous and got right back to shore. Then I guess she decided if he could do she could too and went back in and started cruising around- using her back legs this time too! No puppy chop, she just cruised around near the shoreline, right thru the lily pads too. She got lots of praise from me.

Then on Sunday, after training was over I took her out with my male just to run and play and then cool off in the creek. Well my male finds & staunchly points a leftover chukar so I start walking towards him. She bounds ahead of me and then it happened... As soon as she saw he was pointing she froze- head & tail up and rock steady. She instinctively honored his point! It was so cool to see. I just stood back and smiled watching her focusing intently, she even had her front foot up "pointing."
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to General Discussion