High Calorie Dogfoods

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

High Calorie Dogfoods

Postby SMAbby » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:12 am

I just got one of my "B" litter pups in for force fetch. So he is a 2 year old. Man is he skinny! About a year ago the owners told me about it and that they cant get him to gain weight. I suggested PP 30/20. Well, they never checked back in with me until now and the pup is thin, like you could use his tail bones as iron sights.
I know this dog is well cared for and loved by the man of the family. But his purpose with me is 2 things. 1. Force Fetch 2. Hide from wife. A divorce is going on and the lady is using the pup against the guy.:-(

My question is, are there any quality, not break the bank, higher cal foods out there? I have seen 1 brand, cant find it now, that was 35% fat. But can 5% make that much of a difference.?

On a side not, it is really cool to get to handle one of your pups as an older dog. He looks really well put together aside from a couple of little things. He has manners. Hell, mine jump on people, this guy doesnt. Maybe mine will learn something! :lol: He is a humpaholic, he even got my husband while my husband was playing with him on the ground! :lol:

My only concern is, all the dogs I have put through FF have been younger dogs. Is there going to be a huge difference with this one?
Also, one of the things that surprises me is that this pup wont play fetch, chase a ball, a bumper or a stick.I think part of my success with FF is implementing the natural retrieve in the dog. Once they understand they have to do it, they go back to being happy to play a more controlled game of fetch. I have not seen one of my pups not want to play fetch like that. Could it have been how he was raised?

So to recap:
1. are there any higher calorie dogfoods out there that might get weight on this guy? ( BTW, I had the guy neuter him before bringing him over. So this may help too....I think.
2. Is his age and lack of desire to retrieve naturally going to make FF a bigger issue?
VC Max vom Schutzenknapp VJP 75, HZP190, VGP 303 PI 4H Nose, NA 112, UT 204 Invite 196
Baja vom Wamsbach VJP 64, HZP 169, NA 112
Anka vom Loofkamp VJP 66, HZP 139,HZP 172, NA 112
Krystal Creeks Untamed Spirit ( Abby) NA 93 Prize III UT 200 Prize II
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: High Calorie Dogfoods

Postby orhunter » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:21 am

Wow, this dog is carrying some serious baggage. Sounds like upbringing/nurturing issues? Like the dog never developed any kind of relationship with the owner? Good luck.

I spoke with a well known retriever trainer one time about FF. I asked what kind of dog he prefered to work with, one with lots of natural retrieving desire or the opposite? He prefered the idiot dog.

I'd start the FF program with a casual hold approach. See if the dog will take objects from your hand or will willingly open its mouth when you force the object into its mouth. Light force. This should offer some light into what kind of dog you're working with.

The food thing might be a little tricky. The dog may have some intestinal problem or metabolic issue? I'd get some blood work done and an intensive anti-paracitic medication to clean out the gut. Depending on what is learned through this, I'll assume nothing, put the dog on a temporary home made diet. Ground meat, like high fat hamburger, brown rice, yogurt, cottage cheese. No vegetable fat. See how much the dog will eat when it gets yummy stuff. Slowly reintroduce the high fat canine food.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby SMAbby » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:30 am

orhunter wrote:Wow, this dog is carrying some serious baggage. Sounds like upbringing/nurturing issues? Like the dog never developed any kind of relationship with the owner? Good luck.

I spoke with a well known retriever trainer one time about FF. I asked what kind of dog he prefered to work with, one with lots of natural retrieving desire or the opposite? He prefered the idiot dog.

I'd start the FF program with a casual hold approach. See if the dog will take objects from your hand or will willingly open its mouth when you force the object into its mouth. Light force. This should offer some light into what kind of dog you're working with.

The food thing might be a little tricky. The dog may have some intestinal problem or metabolic issue? I'd get some blood work done and an intensive anti-paracitic medication to clean out the gut. Depending on what is learned through this, I'll assume nothing, put the dog on a temporary home made diet. Ground meat, like high fat hamburger, brown rice, yogurt, cottage cheese. No vegetable fat. See how much the dog will eat when it gets yummy stuff. Slowly reintroduce the high fat canine food.

The boy was just neutered and I have his paperwork. Looks like they gave him a full work up. He is on Nexgaurd so I am guessing worm free. But your right, I should take a fecal in since he will be living inside with the rest of the pack.
Cabt tell you how happy my hubby is to have 5 dogs in the house with us!

Incase I forgot to mention it. His sire, Max, was just like this. I just think he was this bad.
As soon as I neutered him he tried to eat me out of house and home.

Thanks for the input.
VC Max vom Schutzenknapp VJP 75, HZP190, VGP 303 PI 4H Nose, NA 112, UT 204 Invite 196
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby daeion » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:04 am

We've had good success with Nutri Source and another hunter I know who has a LM switched to Pure Vita when he was looking for his dog to put on weight.
Last edited by daeion on Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daeion
Started
Started

Postby Az Draht » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:29 pm

Mary,

I am having luck with the Annamaet Impact supplement on my draht. She developed a fear of her food bowls and lost a lot of weight. I have been giving the impact for a couple weeks now and she has put weight back on despite still having trouble getting her to eat.

http://www.annamaet.com/products/Impact

I got it through chewy.com for about $40
Az Draht
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby SMAbby » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:07 am

I will look into that..thanks
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Calvinator » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:44 pm

Inukshuk has three formula levels. I feed the 30/25 protein/fat. They have a 32/32, but it may be too rich.https://corey.ca/inukshuk/inukshuk-3025

I purchase it direct by the pallet. www.chewy.com is now carrying it, but it costs more per bag through them.

Calvin
Calvinator
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ForestDump » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:51 am

I would stick to a quality dog food like Pro Plan 30/20 and add satin balls. Satin balls are high calorie and cheap/easy to make will help put weight on a dog fast. We have used them for pregnant/whelping bitches and foster animals.

5 pounds ground meat
5 cups Total whole grain cereal
5 cups oats (slow cooking type)
2½ cups raw wheat germ
¾ cup oil
¾ cup molasses
6 egg yolks
5 packets gelatin
2 ½ tablespoons Solid Gold Seameal supplement

Mix up, form balls, freeze, feed as treats or food supplement.

Mix all ingredients together thoroughly like you would a meatloaf.
Roll into balls no larger than 1 inch diameter.
Divide into at least 6 separate containers or bags. Freeze. Thaw as needed for feeding.
ForestDump
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby orhunter » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:41 am

I would freeze them on a greased cookie sheet before putting in storage bags so they don't stick together.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Duckdon » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:30 pm

Increase his PPP and decrease his work load and see if he gains any weight in 2 weeks.
Don and Crew
Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 4 Drahthaars.
Tundramoor Drahthaar Kennel
Don Lietzau, Chugiak, Alaska
Duckdon
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Calvinator » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:22 pm

Satin balls didn't work for us, but we've only tried it with one dog several years ago. That particular dog ended up having a food allergy.
Calvin
Calvinator
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mtlhdr » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:41 pm

Tallow, lard, egg, drumstick?

FWIW, I definitely had to cut by boy's rations during the off-season after neutering.
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby CEA » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:35 am

My work dog lost a ton of weight at 2 years old during drug training as it was a food reward system. I could put weight on him with anything. Switched to EVO turkey and chicken. It is over 500 cal per cup. I can now change the look of my dog (to heavy to skinny) within three days by adjusting food in take by a half of cup in either direction.
CEA
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Return to General Discussion