Hip Question

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Hip Question

Postby Runningwild » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:12 am

I just go a dog tested through pennhip and I got the results back as a .56 DI I was sent the English Pointer DI percentiles and average on accident. So I was wondering what the DI averages and percentiles for the pudelpointer are?
Also will do dogs hips tighten as they get older?
Last edited by Runningwild on Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Runningwild
Seasoned
Seasoned

Re: Pennhip-Pudelpointer

Postby KJ » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:49 am

I do not know the pudelpointer breed specifically, but those are some pretty loose hips and probably well below average for most athletic hunting breeds. Maybe 20th percentile?

I would think that there are enough pudelpointers in the Pennhip database now to be able to compare to within the breed, and that comparing your results to the english pointer was just a mistake on their part. Hopefully someone who has pennhip'd pudelpointers can chime in.
KJ
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Hip Question

Postby orhunter » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:27 pm

My Griff which I intended to be a significant contributor to the western gene pool had numbers of 49/51. I immediately had her spayed. There are enough good hip dogs, we don't need to start breeding whatever just because we can.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Urban_Redneck » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:12 am

How old was the tested dog?
Urban_Redneck
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Runningwild » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:40 am

Urban_Redneck wrote:How old was the tested dog?

16 months
Runningwild
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Runningwild » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:40 am

16 months
Runningwild
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Calvinator » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:57 am

The average DI will fluctuate over time as more dogs enter the database. Last I saw the PP DI average was 0.38. Let's keep this in perspective. The more important information IMO on the Pennhip documents is if there is any evidence of DJD. So you dog has a DI of 0.56 That may not indicate that the dog is not breedable. Look at the whole picture objectively. Look at all the strengths and weaknesses of the dog. All dogs bring something good and something not so good to the table. I have yet to see a perfect dog of any breed. I don't see many if any field trial Pointer breeders doing hip x-rays. If the dog can't perform, it doesn't get bred. Same with racing Greyhounds. I'm not advocating not to do hip x-rays. Use some common sense, be objective, always think about improving the breed.
Calvin
Calvinator
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Urban_Redneck » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:59 am

Runningwild wrote:

16 months

I believe OFA doesn't score hips until 2 years old, why so anxious?
Urban_Redneck
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Urban_Redneck » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:12 am

Calvinator wrote:The average DI will fluctuate over time as more dogs enter the database. Last I saw the PP DI average was 0.38. Let's keep this in perspective. The more important information IMO on the Pennhip documents is if there is any evidence of DJD. So you dog has a DI of 0.56 That may not indicate that the dog is not breedable. Look at the whole picture objectively. Look at all the strengths and weaknesses of the dog. All dogs bring something good and something not so good to the table. I have yet to see a perfect dog of any breed. I don't see many if any field trial Pointer breeders doing hip x-rays. If the dog can't perform, it doesn't get bred. Same with racing Greyhounds. I'm not advocating not to do hip x-rays. Use some common sense, be objective, always think about improving the breed.
Calvin

I don't think you can acurrately equate field trial and racing dogs with minority breed hunting dogs- performance in the field, maintaining quality of a small gene pool, and longevity(health predispositions), as beloved pets all ought to carry significant weight in breeding decisions of the latter. Obviously, winning trials and races is really the whole game, with the former.
Urban_Redneck
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Runningwild » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:25 am

Urban_Redneck wrote:
Runningwild wrote:

16 months

I believe OFA doesn't score hips until 2 years old, why so anxious?

Pennhip does it as early as 16 weeks
I had a buddy who had a dog get hit by a car and messed up his hips he is a good dog now he can't be breed
Trying to avoided that issue

Thanks for everyone's opinion I will evaluate her and see if I should breed her give her a year and see
Runningwild
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Calvinator » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:51 am

[quote]I don't think you can acurrately equate field trial and racing dogs with minority breed hunting dogs- performance in the field, maintaining quality of a small gene pool, and longevity(health predispositions), as beloved pets all ought to carry significant weight in breeding decisions of the latter. Obviously, winning trials and races is really the whole game, with the former./quote]

We know there are other factors besides genetics that affect musculoskeletal development. Things such as nutrition, environment, early spay/neuter all affect musculoskeletal development.
Calvinator
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to General Discussion