anticipating new pup's arrival

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

anticipating new pup's arrival

Postby ryanr » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:36 pm

Well I'm about 4 weeks away from my new pup's arrival. As some already know I have a 5yr old Drahthaar and I feed Dr. Tim's Pursuit 30/20. I really don't want to get into buying two different types of food, so is it feasible to stick with my 30/20 for both? I'm going to talk this over with my vet as well but it's always preferable to consult the internet right? :D
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: anticipating new pup's arrival

Postby orhunter » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:15 pm

That seems like pretty zippy stuff for maintenance food? I'd probably start the pup on something a little lighter, 26/16. That's just me......
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:59 am

orhunter wrote:That seems like pretty zippy stuff for maintenance food? I'd probably start the pup on something a little lighter, 26/16. That's just me......

Maintenance food? I feed the same food year round, which I think works better for my dog than switching foods mid-year. Instead of changing foods I vary the amount per day as well as the amount of supplementing I do (yogurt, meat fats, salmon, etc). We're pretty darn active year round so he burns it off rather easily. The exception being extended hot & humid weather but then his appetite naturally slows quite a bit during these heat waves.

I may end up putting the pup on something less, at least for a while.
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:07 pm

Oh, if anyone has a good suggestion for a name beginning with H let me know? The pup's a female. I was trying to find a unique name: cool northern town, Norse or German goddess, cool Native American name or word but H turns out to be a tough letter.

Right now I'm thinking Huntress and just having her call name be Layla, after the Clapton song. I also like Holly.
Last edited by ryanr on Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Charli » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:32 pm

I also feed 30/20 year round. A puppy formula would fall between the 30/20 and 26/16 formulas and I start my pups on 30/20 around 16 weeks. It really depends on the individual pup, their condition, and growth rate. Slow and steady as they say.
Charli
Pup
Pup

Postby orhunter » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:49 pm

My dog ended up with Pancreatitis from too much fat and I was mixing the high powered stuff to thin it down a bit. I'm a little gun shy from dealing with a dog that was sensitive to diet extremes in the off season.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ANick » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:29 pm

ryanr wrote:Oh, if anyone has a good suggestion for a name beginning with H let me know? The pup's a female. I was trying to find a unique name: cool northern town, Norse or German goddess, cool Native American name or word but H turns out to be a tough letter.

Right now I'm thinking Huntress and just having her call name be Layla, after the Clapton song. I also like Holly.

It once crossed my mind that Charity and Faith would be good ones for a her-dog, or the last one out of Pandora's Box, Hope.
ANick
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby STait » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:33 am

I feed my pups 32/25 until they're about 12 weeks old then switch to something a bit cooler like 26/16 or something similar. The reason is sometimes that really rich food can create front leg issues where the feet start to turn out. Puppies don't need any extra weight so there's really no reason to feed hot food until they're all grown up and working hard.
STait
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby JONOV » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:09 am

ryanr wrote:Oh, if anyone has a good suggestion for a name beginning with H let me know? The pup's a female. I was trying to find a unique name: cool northern town, Norse or German goddess, cool Native American name or word but H turns out to be a tough letter.

Hariasa...Norse/Germanic Warrior Goddess...The name comes from Herja, who was a Valkyrie. Herja, Hildr, Hrist, Hrun, were all valkyries (valkyries were female characters.)

Hedwig, Hedda, Hedvika, all roughly translate to "fighting a battle."
JONOV
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby KJ » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:38 am

I feed all my adults 30/20, but think that is a little hot for puppies. I usually feed a large breed puppy food, or something 26/16 or less. Slow, controlled growth is better. This is particularly true when I am feeding an entire litter at once where it is difficult to control exact rations (3-9 weeks).

People are far more likely to overfeed than underfeed, and you can get structural issues with over-nurished puppies that grow too fast. I have also had a few clients over the years who's puppies developed pano (lameness from growing too fast). Fortunately, this is easily fixed by putting them on a large breed puppy or adult maintenance food. I switch puppies to 30/20 during their first hunting season, then they eat that forever.

I am a little more flexible on the food once the puppies are being fed individually. I am feeding an 11 week old puppy 30/20 at the moment for convenience, but I do think a large breed puppy food is still best . You can feed a 30/20, but just be careful not to overfeed.
KJ
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby bhennessy » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:08 pm

Good timing on this post for me personally. I've been thinking about when to switch our 14 week old Griff pup over to 30/20. I didn't give it much thought with our 3 year old Griff, but I was a lot more clueless then too. He seemed to do fine on sport 30/20 from 15 weeks or so. I don't want to feed two different types for a year, per Purina's guidance so this time I figured I'd see what the more experienced v dog folks had to say on the timing of the switch.

I dug up an old thread which discussed this subject at length and Misskiwi, in particular had posted some interestimg research which pointed to large breed pups needing chow lower in calcium while they were growing. If I understand it correctly, lowered relative calcium intake as a pup was found to be more correlated withhold osteo health in adult large breeds than other nutritional variables.

30/20 sport is .7% calcium, which is definitely lower than proplan large breed puppy, which comes in at 1.1%. Dash has awful farts on the puppy chow too, so I'm going to switch him in a couple weeks when he's worked through his current bag.
bhennessy
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Calvinator » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:00 pm

I feed Inukshuk 30/25 all year long to adults and pups. I adjust the amount so each dog is an appropriate weight.
Calvinator
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:18 pm

Jonov, thanks for the name info. I strongly considered Herja but ultimately I think I've settled on Schwarzwald's Hazel, in part because I had told my best friend's daughter if she came up with a H name I liked I'd go with her choice.

Anyway, I'm a week away from this pup coming home. She comes home Thursday (8/10) and we have a NAVHDA training weekend then too. Getting everything ready this weekend. I also ordered a couple of new books: "Absolutely Positively Gundog Training" and "Positive Gun Dogs: Clicker Training for Sporting Breeds."

For anyone curious, my pup is out of VC Thunderhill's Flint x Schwarzwald's Dakota UT1. Up until now I've been tight-lipped about the breeding for fear of jinxing things but it's hopefully safe now!
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:56 pm

Exciting. Flint's Sire is my pup's grandfather top and bottom.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:57 am

AverageGuy wrote:Exciting. Flint's Sire is my pup's grandfather top and bottom.

Cool, I've heard lots of good things about Lager. Heard he's particularly known for his cooperation and excellent use of nose, just as Flint is. VC Ken Vospet is on both sides of this breeding as a Great Grandfather and Great Great Grandfather. That was one of the factors my breeder liked when selecting to breed to Flint. Seeing him work sealed it. I know many of the current Schwarzwald dogs quite well, including my pup's Mother, Grandmother & Grandfather and a number of her mother's sisters & brothers. I couldn't be in too much of a better situation to know what type of dogs my breeder produces. I was there helping get my pup's mother started, helped prepare her for her UT and I've hunted and interacted with her a lot. I'm very excited.
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Next

Return to General Discussion