anticipating new pup's arrival

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: anticipating new pup's arrival

Postby mgrucker » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:35 pm

We got our pudelpointer at 7 weeks old and only fed him one 11lb bag of puppy food to continue what the breeder had been feeding and then switched to Pursuit and fed only that ever since. It's been 3.5 years now and he's very healthy! It's a bit hazy in my memory now but I did quite a bit of research at the time and convinced myself that it was OK to do so. I could have swore I emailed Dr Tim's and got a response from him about the subject that concurred but I cannot find it again. I did find an older post of his here about the subject though: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=16579&p=188849#p188849
mgrucker
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby ryanr » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:30 am

Well, I picked up Hazel last Thursday evening. I promptly took her for a run in the field with my 5yr old neutered DD. Quade has handled it rather well, he's trying to figure out how he can play with her, occasionally he's a little rough (for her tiny size now anyway) and I have to curb it but overall he's been good and while maybe not exactly thrilled, he's been quite tolerant of her arrival in the house. Still, I will always feed them separately, each in their own crate and I haven't allowed them to have chew toys or bones when they're out in the house together (Quade has quite a possessive nature.)

Anyway, she's amazing. She basically housebroke herself (from what I've heard her littermates a picked up on that quick too.) After having only been taken out 3 times to do her business, by early Friday afternoon she went right to the front door and began whining. I let her out and sure enough she went right to the spot in the yard I had been taking her to and did her business (and got lots of praise.) Last night she even slept thru the night from about 10PM until 5:30AM! (Again too, word his her littermates are doing the same) She goes in the crate easily, she quickly picked up the concept of Click and Treat. Of course she has quite a bite with those needle sharp teeth but she's seemed quick to learn that continuously biting ankles of fingers abruptly ends play time. She's very smart and also bold but at the same time has already proven to handle better overall than Quade, who from just about day 1 fought me tooth and nail on so many things. Had her with me all weekend at training and she was great. We tucked heads on a couple homing pigeons for her too and she stopped and turned towards the pigeon as soon as she hit scent. Had her first bear encounter too when a big male black bear strolled right in to where we were parked near the field. My hatch was open with both dogs in their crates and bear smelled something interesting in my car and headed right towards it. I got up and immediately started walking after the bear yelling "Move on bear, Get Out of Here." He moved on but at his own pace. My male saw him and immediately gave out some low barks at the bear which helped too.

I think she's going to be a lot of fun to train, hunt & test with. Looking forward to it.

I'd post some photos but I have no clue now with photo bucket. Sorry.
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby TruAblePup » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:08 pm

Good stuff Ryan!

Who is this second pup out of? Dwight again? I forget what you said before in your PM.

Glad to hear things are going well. My pup is ready for pick-up mid-september. Can't wait!

Keep coming with those updates.

TP
TruAblePup
Started
Started

Postby ryanr » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:37 am

TruAblePup wrote:Good stuff Ryan!

Who is this second pup out of? Dwight again? I forget what you said before in your PM.

Glad to hear things are going well. My pup is ready for pick-up mid-september. Can't wait!

Keep coming with those updates.

TP

She's a GWP out of VC Thunderhill's Flint and Schwarzwald's Dakota (UT1).
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Previous

Return to General Discussion