Breed of Duck

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Breed of Duck

Postby Runningwild » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:17 pm

I'm going to start working on the duck search does it matter the breed of duck do I have to use mallards or can I use meat ducks and such?
Runningwild
Seasoned
Seasoned

Re: Breed of Duck

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:10 am

anything works. If you're using them alive, and if they're big and nasty, you need to consider that they could peck pretty hard at your dog and either intimidate it or possibly cause an eye injury. Taping their bills shut can help. If they can fly then you should pull the primaries from one wing only so they're unbalanced in flight. Also, if they swim well, you should consider taping their webs on feet together or both feet together. Also, in deep water an uninjured duck can tire a dog out without being caught. A big sock or sleeve over the duck with a cutout for the head can sometimes allow you to use the same duck over and over.
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Runningwild » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:29 pm

Ok thanks
Runningwild
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Meridiandave » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:10 am

They are all mallards. Nearly all domestic ducks come from Mallards. The only exception is the Muscovy Duck. Roans, Peking, etc are all just domestic mallards.
Meridiandave
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby TobyTx » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:58 pm

In my limited training with ducks, I have found hens are much smarter and hide better than drakes.
Cabo vom Sendero vjp 69 hzp np
TobyTx
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to General Discussion