Do you throw the baby out with the bathwater?

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Do you throw the baby out with the bathwater?

Postby gusto » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:57 pm

[quote="STait"][quote="gusto"]Branscom's Nickel?[/quote]

I wish, Mike has the last of that and it's not for sale. But that's okay because my dogs are loaded with him. The outside dog is a son of Millers Online. White Powder, top and bottom.[/quote]

Nice! Your dogs are with Travis in Sask or Broomhill?
gusto
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby gwp4me2 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:21 pm

3drahthaars wrote:
gwp4me2 wrote:
3drahthaars wrote:And, I may add that shooting preserve birds is not necessarily hunting.

You mean those pictures where the dog on point is looking straight down isn't a wild bird dog hunting late-season sharptails?
During the off season the local preserve will let us go run the 'refugees'. I can't tell you how many times people have come in from hunting with their dogs and only found half the birds. Then I get to take them back out with my dog to clean up. Good training opportunity for me since I don't carry a gun and can work on obedience with free birds.

Yes, on all counts...

Except, I wouldn't let a stranger shoot over my pup... and, I'm seldom without my Sauer.

3ds

I only do it with my finished dogs or at least one steady enough I can get ahold of the collar and keep us back. Ive never had to deal with a wild flush. We are very careful and control the situation. They know in no uncertain terms they cant afford to shoot my dog.
gwp4me2
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:18 pm

gwp4me2 wrote:I only do it with my finished dogs or at least one steady enough I can get ahold of the collar and keep us back. Ive never had to deal with a wild flush. We are very careful and control the situation. They know in no uncertain terms they cant afford to shoot my dog.

When I was training my now old dog I was not living where there were many wild birds close by so I frequented a game farm a friend of mine runs a good bit. He sold a European Pheasant shoot to a Body Shop owner/operator and he brought his dozen employees out for 300 bird shoot for their Christmas party. My Buddy asked if I would bring my pup over and retrieve birds and then hunt scratch and I said sure. The bird pickup went great and my pup got to hunt up and in many instances track and run down in the 5X range of pheasants.

Then we went scratch hunting in the tall warm season grass cover. Pup did wonderful. Then I had a 12 gauge load shot past my head at a few feet when I crawled down the side of a steep creek bank my pup was pointing on and the rooster flushed/flew straight away from me down the creek. I gave the guy a talking to that I misjudged would stick with him, and then foolishly continued on. Short time later the guy about shot my pup's head off when he pillow cased a pheasant 4 feet off the ground at 5 yards, the pup had pointed and then snapped up in the air after when it flushed.

Never again for me or my dogs.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby STait » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:20 pm

gusto wrote:
STait wrote:
gusto wrote:Branscom's Nickel?

I wish, Mike has the last of that and it's not for sale. But that's okay because my dogs are loaded with him. The outside dog is a son of Millers Online. White Powder, top and bottom.

Nice! Your dogs are with Travis in Sask or Broomhill?

Travis, in Sask. Heading up next month. Just heard the young birds are small, but there's lots of them!
STait
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby gusto » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:55 am

He told me two nights ago that my dog was "really out of shape" and started a pretty serious fight. Ugh....
I had that dog dragging chain for a month prior to camp, you think your dogs in shape until its next to some serious trial prospects haha
Anyway hope your dog gets it done this fall at the trials. :multi:
gusto
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby STait » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:51 am

gusto wrote:He told me two nights ago that my dog was "really out of shape" and started a pretty serious fight. Ugh....
I had that dog dragging chain for a month prior to camp, you think your dogs in shape until its next to some serious trial prospects haha
Anyway hope your dog gets it done this fall at the trials. :multi:

Mine are out of shape too.

It takes a lot of work to get a dog in competitive field trial shape. I used to think my dogs were in good shape until I saw for myself what a force they were after running in front of a horse and roading every day for two months straight.

Good luck with your dog as well. Championship entry fees will be coming soon 8-(
STait
Master Poster
Master Poster

Previous

Return to General Discussion