First heat for grifts??

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

First heat for grifts??

Postby mastercaster » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:08 pm

Having never owned a griff before I was wondering when I can expect my dog to go into her first heat? I did get in touch with the breeder and he said it can be anywhere from 10-15 months. Seems long to me,,,, but as I mentioned I've never owned a griff before.

How old were your griffs when they experienced their first heat?
mastercaster
Seasoned
Seasoned

Re: First heat for grifts??

Postby centershots » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:55 am

Most of our Griffs that we have and have bred come in at around 8 months. But there's no exact science on this, that's just an estimate.
George DeCosta, Jr.
www.huntinggriff.com
centershots
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby SwitchGrassWPG » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:30 pm

6 mos. - 2 yrs. Every dog is different...can't generalize based on breed. Some have two cycles a year, some only one.
The only thing worse than a bad dog, is no dog at all...
SwitchGrassWPG
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby orhunter » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:12 pm

13/14 months in this house.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mastercaster » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:21 pm

orhunter wrote:13/14 months in this house.

So if it sometimes happens that late I guess it's possible that a dog's bone growth could be completed before she goes into her first heat because that was why I thought I'd wait to have her spayed. I've heard there is the possibility of hip dysplasia or ligament damage if you spay your pup before her bone growth is complete.
mastercaster
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby orhunter » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:04 am

It's more than just bones. I like to see that nice wide chest and substantial muscle in the back end.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mastercaster » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:05 am

orhunter wrote:It's more than just bones. I like to see that nice wide chest and substantial muscle in the back end.

So are you saying muscle development is affected by spaying or neutering too early?? I would have thought muscle development would be more a product of a good exercise regime.
mastercaster
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby orhunter » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:33 am

I'm certainly not a scientist so the only thing that matters is what I think is best. I don't believe in spaying/neutering just because. I want to do my best in insure everything is in order beforehand.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:56 pm

mastercaster wrote:
orhunter wrote:It's more than just bones. I like to see that nice wide chest and substantial muscle in the back end.

So are you saying muscle development is affected by spaying or neutering too early?? I would have thought muscle development would be more a product of a good exercise regime.

I know more about this in the human sphere than the canine sphere, for reasons related to my job. But, sex hormones control how vertebrates develop both as males and females. They also are needed to build muscle. If you remove sex hormones, it doesn't develop the same way, or as much or at all.

What do sex organs do, aside from their obvious reproductive purposes? They release sex hormones. These sex hormones influence how we physically develop and affect physical appearance. Female sex hormones influence bone structure and other traits. The easy example in a human female would be widening of the hips, softer facial features, a smaller waste, developing breast tissue, etc.

So, it certainly does stand to reason that a littermate spayed at 5 months old and a littermate allowed to mature intact would have markedly different physical traits.
JONOV
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Return to General Discussion