Kennel vs. house

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Kennel vs. house

Postby hicntry » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:09 am

ryanr wrote:
hicntry wrote:Have no idea why backyards are considered unsafe these days. Another option is benadryl for the GF.

Not everybody has a backyard with a 5-6ft high fence around it. $200 or so for a 10x10, 6ft tall chainlink kennel vs much, much more to fence in a yard, depending upon its size.

I don't think yards are unsafe although with my current dog I had to enclose the top of his 6ft kennel because I was coming home from work and finding he had climbed out! I'm actually lookin at fencing in at least part of my property, as much too keep my neighbor's dogs (one is sweet, the other is a dog killer) out, as to keep my dog(s) safe inside my yard. The neighbor's wife got chickens and ducks and my dog brought me a dead chicken about a month ago and Saturdsy he finally grabbed a duck, a really big white one. Tough bugger too 'cause I returned it to her husband alive and he said "I'll quick get it back with the others before my wife gets home." They have a pig that has about 4 inch tusks too and he wanders over to eat my bird seed. Their horses often get out and come over for shade and good grass. I don't mind much but all in all it's looking best to keep our animals separated.

Kept all those dog outside with a 3 foot fence(some parts were 4 feet.) ....and a single strand of electric wire. Just takes a little thought and uncommon sense to set up a safe yard for dogs.
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:30 pm

hicntry wrote:
ryanr wrote:
hicntry wrote:Have no idea why backyards are considered unsafe these days. Another option is benadryl for the GF.

Not everybody has a backyard with a 5-6ft high fence around it. $200 or so for a 10x10, 6ft tall chainlink kennel vs much, much more to fence in a yard, depending upon its size.

I don't think yards are unsafe although with my current dog I had to enclose the top of his 6ft kennel because I was coming home from work and finding he had climbed out! I'm actually lookin at fencing in at least part of my property, as much too keep my neighbor's dogs (one is sweet, the other is a dog killer) out, as to keep my dog(s) safe inside my yard. The neighbor's wife got chickens and ducks and my dog brought me a dead chicken about a month ago and Saturdsy he finally grabbed a duck, a really big white one. Tough bugger too 'cause I returned it to her husband alive and he said "I'll quick get it back with the others before my wife gets home." They have a pig that has about 4 inch tusks too and he wanders over to eat my bird seed. Their horses often get out and come over for shade and good grass. I don't mind much but all in all it's looking best to keep our animals separated.

Kept all those dog outside with a 3 foot fence(some parts were 4 feet.) ....and a single strand of electric wire. Just takes a little thought and uncommon sense to set up a safe yard for dogs.

For me I don't think that would cut it even with the electric strand on top. My current dog can clear a 3 ft fence rather easily without having to touch the fence, and a running start, forget about it!

I am curious though, can you set that electric strand up to run off a solar panel? I think I've seen that. I think I still need a 5 footer but with an electric strand on top I'd have piece of mind when the dogs were out playing and I was busy working on some house project.
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:44 pm

Ryan, Yes Farm Supply stores sell solar powered electric fence chargers.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:58 pm

Yeh, yeh Ryan. My dogs could clear it to. The wire is put at the bottom on pins a bit away from the fence so the just stay away from the fence all together. It eliminates both digging and jumping. Dogs can even tell when it is off or on. Solar chargers are pretty pricey. The ones I have seen used to be about 180 bucks on up to well over 200 bucks. The electric ones suitable for a dog are about 30 bucks. An average back yard can be done for about 50 bucks give or take a few bucks.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby SMAbby » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:20 pm

They can be unsafe for a few reasons. 1 being dog theft as happens around here. Stolen dogs are bait dogs.

I never leave my dogs unattended in or yard. People can screw with them. They can bark and piss off neighbors. Get a collar stuck on the fence. Neighbors cats can patrol can cause my dog to jump fence and eliminate yet another one of her cats. Who knows.
VC Max vom Schutzenknapp VJP 75, HZP190, VGP 303 PI 4H Nose, NA 112, UT 204 Invite 196
Baja vom Wamsbach VJP 64, HZP 169, NA 112
Anka vom Loofkamp VJP 66, HZP 139,HZP 172, NA 112
Krystal Creeks Untamed Spirit ( Abby) NA 93 Prize III UT 200 Prize II
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:01 pm

I have to wonder, if people today are afraid to leave a dog in the yard ....just how does anyone justify having kids today when they may trip on a sprinkler head and break and arm or a leg or any of the other countless perils kids are faced with today. What do you do....put em in a kennel under lock and key so YOU feel good. Personally, I think most dog owners have gone off the deep end.

hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:05 pm

hicntry wrote:I have to wonder, if people today are afraid to leave a dog in the yard ....just how does anyone justify having kids today when they may trip on a sprinkler head and break and arm or a leg or any of the other countless perils kids are faced with today. What do you do....put em in a kennel under lock and key so YOU feel good. Personally, I think most dog owners have gone off the deep end.

Actually yes, when I leave him in his kennel it is padlocked, precisely for some of the reasons SMabby mentions. I don't trust anyone and there are some effed up people in this world. Since dogs sleep most of their day anyway, does it really matter if a dog is fenced in a kennel or backyard? Why do you even have to fence your yard? The way you tell us about your dogs I figure your dogs should practically be born knowing where they could and couldn't go.

Thanks for the advice on the fence, had been thinking about it more and wondered if it was a bottom strand. Probably going to put in an underground fence for now because it's what I can afford and I'll just start putting in corner posts for a wire fence as I can. Money's pretty darn tight for a while more for me yet.

Thanks as well AG.
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby daeion » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:15 am

Our SM lives inside, I believe some breeds handle kennel life better than other. I'll echo the advise to find a dog she's not allergic to, aren't Vizslas considered hypo-allergenic? The problem, as pointed out earlier is that even if the dog isn't living into the house, it's still going to end up sharing spaces with your gf
daeion
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby oldtimer » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:09 pm

Dogs are pack animals. Keeping them inside helps them feel close to their pack. Plus, a dog can't guard a house in a kennel.
oldtimer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Previous

Return to General Discussion