Kennel vs. house

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Kennel vs. house

Postby LabGuy1981 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:19 am

Hey all,

quick question.

thinking about getting another dog. girlfriend is allergic but wants one and suggests we add a kennel to a garage. I've never had a kennel dog before. all things being equal and the dog gets the proper amounts of human contact/training through the day is this a huge deal? will there be negative things to come from this? I'm assuming there are lots of you that have dogs that spend the majority of their time in kennels when not being run or hunted. Just looking for some advise to see if this is doable or something I should stay clear from.

thanks !
LabGuy1981
Pup
Pup

Re: Kennel vs. house

Postby Dakotazeb » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:42 am

In the house. Time for a new girlfriend! :D Sorry, couldn't resist.
Janees August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

Godfather's Dakota Elle
1X NSTRA Champion
2008-2016
Dakotazeb
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Dakotazeb » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:42 am

sorry for the duplicate post. Having trouble with my mouse double clicking.
Last edited by Dakotazeb on Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Janees August Breeze - Bree

Godfather's Dakota Elle
1X NSTRA Champion
2008-2016
Dakotazeb
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby LabGuy1981 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:26 am

Lol!
LabGuy1981
Pup
Pup

Postby AverageGuy » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:43 am

30 years with GWPs here. I house them in outdoor kennels with a covered roof and insulated dog houses set inside my insulated machine shed. I bring them into the house daily as well, but only when I am in the house with them. I am dedicated to twice a day work/training, exercise and stimulation for my dogs. The time in the house is usually following the afternoon exercise, training and play time and ranges from a hour to up to 3 hours. It gets longer as the dog learns to settle down and needs less supervision and correction. Their conditioning and mental state are excellent. I also sit on the front porch each evening 9 months out of the year and allow the dogs to roam out to 100 yards in the CRP and pond surrounding the house. Their preference to be outside vs inside is obvious. I think many people incorrectly attribute their emotions to their dogs.
Last edited by AverageGuy on Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:43 am

double post
Last edited by AverageGuy on Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:00 am

Why a kennel? Don't have a yard?
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:03 am

Why a kennel? Don't have a yard?

Couldn't help myself....had to double post mine too. LOL....Had trouble doing it and had to copy the post over. LOL
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby LabGuy1981 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:10 am

Yes I have a yard but have neighbours and work so need a safe place for the dog while I'm at work.
LabGuy1981
Pup
Pup

Postby JONOV » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:37 pm

It sounds like some breeds do better in kennels than other breeds. Just something to keep in mind.
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby 3drahthaars » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:49 pm

You'll have to bear with me on this one, but girl friends and dogs have two things in common:

1) You need to select them wisely, because you may have them around a long time.

2) chosen poorly, they can become a PIA.

My last girlfriend lasted 6 years and became my wife of 31 more. Her predecessor didn't want dogs in the house.

My last 4 pups were good selections, too. They had the switch and lived in the house.

Choose wisely...
3drahthaars
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Willie T » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:41 pm

Check around, you may be able to find a dog breed she is not allergic to. If you can't bring it in or put it in the truck when you go somewhere, the dog will stay in the kennel and be left at home. If you can't make it work where the dog is included then you need to let the dog go to a home where it will fit in. Sage advice from 3D's.
Willie
Willie T
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby hicntry » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:51 pm

Have no idea why backyards are considered unsafe these days. Another option is benadryl for the GF.

hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:08 am

hicntry wrote:Have no idea why backyards are considered unsafe these days. Another option is benadryl for the GF.

Not everybody has a backyard with a 5-6ft high fence around it. $200 or so for a 10x10, 6ft tall chainlink kennel vs much, much more to fence in a yard, depending upon its size.

I don't think yards are unsafe although with my current dog I had to enclose the top of his 6ft kennel because I was coming home from work and finding he had climbed out! I'm actually lookin at fencing in at least part of my property, as much too keep my neighbor's dogs (one is sweet, the other is a dog killer) out, as to keep my dog(s) safe inside my yard. The neighbor's wife got chickens and ducks and my dog brought me a dead chicken about a month ago and Saturdsy he finally grabbed a duck, a really big white one. Tough bugger too 'cause I returned it to her husband alive and he said "I'll quick get it back with the others before my wife gets home." They have a pig that has about 4 inch tusks too and he wanders over to eat my bird seed. Their horses often get out and come over for shade and good grass. I don't mind much but all in all it's looking best to keep our animals separated.
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby oldtimer » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:40 am

Inside. The bond is closer. Have your girlfriend take allergy medication. If that doesn't work build a room over the garage for her.
oldtimer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Next

Return to General Discussion