My dog is getting eaten alive

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

My dog is getting eaten alive

Postby mastercaster » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:01 pm

As the summer goes on the bugs appear to be getting worse and worse up here in the BC interior and my poor pup is paying the price since we're outside so much. Have to say in the dozen years we've had our cabin the mozzies have NEVER been this bad due to higher than normal run-off! There's also lots of pesty black flies and deer flies about, as well, not to mention ants!

So,,,,the last two trips up to the cabin Sako has gotten bit by something that leaves a sizeable red ring or red spot on her belly which just so happens is quite exposed as we all know. Luckily, the marks only last a couple of days. I know it is not a tick bite because I've yet to find one on her,,,,plus she's vacinated for lyme and takes monthly tick and flea meds.

What do you think? Ever see this before?

[url="http://s207.photobucket.com/user/mastercaster07/media/IMG_1504_zpsrjmdklns.jpg.html"]Image[/url]

Edit to ad: I'm figured it out but I'll see what others have to say on the matter.
mastercaster
Seasoned
Seasoned

Re: My dog is getting eaten alive

Postby SMAbby » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:24 pm

I think.it is black flies.
I use fly spray for horse on my dogs when the bitiing flies are bad.
VC Max vom Schutzenknapp VJP 75, HZP190, VGP 303 PI 4H Nose, NA 112, UT 204 Invite 196
Baja vom Wamsbach VJP 64, HZP 169, NA 112
Anka vom Loofkamp VJP 66, HZP 139,HZP 172, NA 112
Krystal Creeks Untamed Spirit ( Abby) NA 93 Prize III UT 200 Prize II
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mastercaster » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:16 pm

SMAbby wrote:I think it is black flies.
I use fly spray for horse on my dogs when the bitiing flies are bad.

Bingo!

http://www.greybrucepethospital.com/201 ... fly-bites/
mastercaster
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby ryanr » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:32 am

mastercaster wrote:As the summer goes on the bugs appear to be getting worse and worse up here in the BC interior and my poor pup is paying the price since we're outside so much. Have to say in the dozen years we've had our cabin the mozzies have NEVER been this bad due to higher than normal run-off! There's also lots of pesty black flies and deer flies about, as well, not to mention ants!

So,,,,the last two trips up to the cabin Sako has gotten bit by something that leaves a sizeable red ring or red spot on her belly which just so happens is quite exposed as we all know. Luckily, the marks only last a couple of days. I know it is not a tick bite because I've yet to find one on her,,,,plus she's vacinated for lyme and takes monthly tick and flea meds.

What do you think? Ever see this before?

[url="http://s207.photobucket.com/user/mastercaster07/media/IMG_1504_zpsrjmdklns.jpg.html"]Image[/url]

Edit to ad: I'm figured it out but I'll see what others have to say on the matter.

My dog occasionally gets bit and has the same red mark on his belly, usually down near his groin where he's bare. Black flies- hate 'em. They don't bite, they suck! Lol.

Even though his outdoor run is plenty shaded on really hot & humid days I leave him inside in his x-large crate because of the nasty biting flies. My neighbors have horses and now ducks & chickens so there's no shortage of flies on hot & humid days.
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to General Discussion