Pups are gone, Videos are fixed.Might make u grin

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Pups are gone, Videos are fixed.Might make u grin

Postby SMAbby » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:07 pm

I have come to the conclusion that had this of been my first litter, it would have been my last. It was trouble from the start. 4 weeks into pregnancy mama was already getting us up 2 to 3 times a night. When it came time to whelp, it so happened that I needed to be at a CE class and the next day run my pup,Anka in her VJP. I was hoping Baja would hold out until sunday when I returned. NOPE, she went into labor early Friday morning of the 21rst of April. Complication arose and I had to leave her with my husband at the vet for a C-section. Stress level at it max at this point.
12 puppies were born healthy and lively. Even the runt who was 3 oz, was strong as an ox. I am fortunate to have some great friends as my husband has no idea how to deal with this. I called my best bud and she drove 2 hours to spend the night with the pups and my husband keeping watch.

Things were good, until day 3 when I found a pup barely responsive. I dont know what happened, but he was gasping for air. A quick call to the vet at midnight and I discribed the situation. I think by that time I knew and didnt want to face it. The respose from the vet was, if he is still the same in the morning, call me. He knew and didnt want to tell me that the gasping was agonal breathing. I held the little dude for 3 hours wishing I could end it for him quickly, but not knowing how. I just held him til the end.
The next hick up came at 3 weeks of age. I had started feeding a sloppy mush because of the number of pups. I noticed 1 pup would regurgitate shortly after eating. SOmetime it would be so bad that he would aspirate through his nose. I have been on a canine fertility and neonatal FB for sometime so I had a feeling that it was either mega esophagus or PRAA(Persistant Right Aortic Arch).
My husband and I decided how much we would spend and how much we would do to try to save this guy. His name was Critter. Critter was a tough little dude who was the first to do everything. He was on his way out of the whelping box if we didnt keep an eye on him :cry: One morning I put him on the counter to feed him. Hoping that his problem was that he would just scarf his food and get sick. With in a few minutes he had aspirated so badly that I had to swing him to clear his air way. I decided right then that I had to euthanize him. When I went to the vet (just a country farm vet,mostly cows) I explained the situation and we agreed on the diagnosis and he was euthanized. I had to know. I had to know if I made the right decision, so I asked for a necropsy. I am a hunter, I have killed many animals and gutted them, butchered them etc. I figured this would be no different. Boy was I wrong. I guess the girly side of me took over as I watch my little Critter be dissected. I pretty much lost it as much as I would in front of someone. But, the vet showed me that we were right in the decision as he showed me the stricture in the esophagus.
And then there were 10. Nice round number. Pretty much from then on it was smooth sailing. But I watched like a hawk, more than I had any other litter. I was a nervous wreck for 7 weeks. Every sideways fart elicited a call to the vet or a friend .
As much pain and stress as we went through with this litter, I am thankful. I am thankful that I gained more knowledge on puppy rearing.

As of yesterday, they are all in their new homes and adapting well. I have received a ton of pictures and videos .

Just before they left, my friend came over and took some pictures. She is a pretty good photographer........dam good photographer. She is the same friend that came to the rescue during the whelping of the pups. My husband and I wanted to repay her, but she would take no money. SO, I called NAVHDA and got all the info on the dogs she has run and ordered plaques for ALL of them. I cant wait til she gets them, she is going to freak!

Anyway, here are some pictures and videos of the little demons. I hope you enjoy them. The videos are very short.

What you see here is a pile of pups. The dog in the very back is Anka, who had taken over the puppy duties. Just under Anka, and buried, is mama Baja.

]

Baja and 14 month old Anka looking after pups
https://youtu.be/X0Lr9mZiWt8

This is probably the longest at 2minutes Pups discover hose
https://youtu.be/xjEU7MWBm2Q

New object to explore, helps that it smelled like dinner
https://youtu.be/URI18gw7Bf0

New sounds they may hear in new homes
https://youtu.be/bpEluJ9FuKg

Pups discover pool
https://youtu.be/oigi4l6TQ2E

Vacuum training
https://youtu.be/HCoblouZyEY

Dog door Chaos
https://youtu.be/sY6qcYP3KQM

My 14 month old playing with the pups. SHe has always been really good with them. Even when she has a chewy or food. Really love this dogs temperment
https://youtu.be/sY6qcYP3KQM
Last edited by SMAbby on Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
VC Max vom Schutzenknapp VJP 75, HZP190, VGP 303 PI 4H Nose, NA 112, UT 204 Invite 196
Baja vom Wamsbach VJP 64, HZP 169, NA 112
Anka vom Loofkamp VJP 66, HZP 139,HZP 172, NA 112
Krystal Creeks Untamed Spirit ( Abby) NA 93 Prize III UT 200 Prize II
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Pups are gone, so it is time o show them off! :-)

Postby 3drahthaars » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:16 pm

Beautiful pups, and I truly empathize with you.

After 2 litters, I decided breeding was not for me... It's great when everything goes well, but the God decisions are tough if you're not a "farmer"... I'm not.

Other than the distress at putting my pup under GA, we had no compunction about having her spayed.

Great post,

3ds
3drahthaars
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:38 pm

Nice looking litter and cudos in the biggest way for making the tough calls. In your heart, you know the right decision. Isn't always easy, but, if you watch the pups, they pretty much tell you what you need to know.
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:42 pm

Wow Mary, what a journey with that litter. I applaud your passion and dedication and you do have a great support team. Terrific photos. On a side note my friend & training partner's younger female just whelped her first litter overnight on Friday. GWP pups, 5 females, 3 males and 1 of those little girls will be coming home with me in about 8 weeks.
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby SMAbby » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:49 pm

hicntry wrote:Nice looking litter and cudos in the biggest way for making the tough calls. In your heart, you know the right decision. Isn't always easy, but, if you watch the pups, they pretty much tell you what you need to know.

Beyond supplemental feeding of a big litter, I dont believe in heroic measures. I truely believe that some of us.......some of our pups.....arent meant to be here. As you said it isnt an easy call, but they tell ya, even at that age. :cry:
VC Max vom Schutzenknapp VJP 75, HZP190, VGP 303 PI 4H Nose, NA 112, UT 204 Invite 196
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby SMAbby » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:51 pm

ryanr wrote:Wow Mary, what a journey with that litter. I applaud your passion and dedication and you do have a great support team. Terrific photos. On a side note my friend & training partner's younger female just whelped her first litter overnight on Friday. GWP pups, 5 females, 3 males and 1 of those little girls will be coming home with me in about 8 weeks.

That is great news! I bet you are chomping at the bit.
BTW, the guy that was looking did get ahold of me. I talked to him about the breed and what I felt were pros and cons. He decided not to get one. I think it was the right choice for what he needs.But thanks for the shout out.!
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JTracyII » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:49 pm

Smabby,

Good job on the litter. I appreciate your passion for the breed and the honesty with which you discuss your experiences with your dogs and breeding as a whole.
JTracyII
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JTracyII » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:51 pm

ryanr wrote:Wow Mary, what a journey with that litter. I applaud your passion and dedication and you do have a great support team. Terrific photos. On a side note my friend & training partner's younger female just whelped her first litter overnight on Friday. GWP pups, 5 females, 3 males and 1 of those little girls will be coming home with me in about 8 weeks.

Hey Ryan,

Congrats on the new hunting partner.
JTracyII
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby SMAbby » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:14 pm

JTracyII wrote:Smabby,

Good job on the litter. I appreciate your passion for the breed and the honesty with which you discuss your experiences with your dogs and breeding as a whole.

I am a little to open, even openned my house to hundreds of people. I had a nest cam on the pups since day 1.It was viewable by the public. I had several people I didnt even k ow co tact me and comment on the pups. People were adicted to it when the pups got busy. I remember shutting the camera off once and getting email asking for it to turnwd back on. It was nutz.
I am pretty sure people saw us lose a pup and save a few more. They saw when the pups distroyed the place and I would clean.
The puppy owners got to watch the pups grow and explore new things, having fun and sometimes getting injured.
They saw how we would wake the pups up and get them outside to potty at 430 am everyday.

They, the puppy owners, enjoyed every bit of it and it made them appreciate how much work raising a litter,.
But I also opened the door to morons and micro managers that had nothing better to do

It was all good. I enjoyed sharing the adventure with you all.7
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby jlw034 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:32 am

Wow! What a read. You seem to be a heck of a breeder!

Any pups coming to Minneapolis area? Love seeing the SM at your training nights.
jlw034
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby mtlhdr » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:52 am

Thanks for sharing. Sounds both incredibly heart-wrenching and heart-warming. They sure are cute!
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby SMAbby » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:34 am

jlw034 wrote:Wow! What a read. You seem to be a heck of a breeder!

Any pups coming to Minneapolis area? Love seeing the SM at your training nights.

Na, not a heck of a breeder. I have a TON to learn. I just try to think of anything they may be exposed to in their new homes and try to prepare them for that. I also use a video called Puppy Culture. It kinda teaches about stages in development of puppies. When the most crucial times for learning are and when the fear stages hit and how to deal with them. The rest I just had fun with them.
1, male went to LAke Elmo 1 female went to st.paul area.
I need to get them hooked up with NAVHDA group and JGHV groups.
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby jlw034 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:57 am

SMAbby wrote:
jlw034 wrote:Wow! What a read. You seem to be a heck of a breeder!

Na, not a heck of a breeder. I have a TON to learn. I just try to think of anything they may be exposed to in their new homes and try to prepare them for that. I also use a video called Puppy Culture. It kinda teaches about stages in development of puppies. When the most crucial times for learning are and when the fear stages hit and how to deal with them. The rest I just had fun with them.
1, male went to LAke Elmo 1 female went to st.paul area.
I need to get them hooked up with NAVHDA group and JGHV groups.

Lake Elmo is just 10 minutes from where we train in Hugo. We've got lots of puppies, several training groups, and lots of knowledgeable people. Let them know they are always welcome. Let me know if they need someone to contact.
jlw034
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby K Locke » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:17 am

I have no idea how you get such good pictures. I'm guessing it takes a lot of time and patience. It obviously paid off. They look great!
K Locke
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby SMAbby » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:46 am

K Locke wrote:I have no idea how you get such good pictures. I'm guessing it takes a lot of time and patience. It obviously paid off. They look great!

The credit goes to Denise Heath. If you have a dog event and are a reasonable distance from Iowa, she would come and take pictures. She has had SEVERAL pictures in NAVHDA Magazine
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Next

Return to General Discussion