Tell me about the Small Munsterlander

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Tell me about the Small Munsterlander

Postby orhunter » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:12 am

AG: You are correct, the PP has no advantage over any other breed, that includes the Griffon.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby 3drahthaars » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:52 pm

Looking at the last few posts, one thing comes to mind. And, that is the mistake of generalizing amongst breeds.

Though the DD is like most versatiles tested 90% for performance after the shot, there are a lot of DDs that show the pointing and manners equivalent to many of their peers.

My current pup was not FF nor broken/steadied to pointing. However, she has recovered several ducks in thick cover and flooded timber for other hunters in the public impoundments that we shoot. All of these were well after the shot, and some of have involved searches of 20min to a half hour. This performance comes from hunting experience, as she's not had a single plucked duck released for her in any training scenario.

Similarly, I've taken 15 or so minutes to find her in thick cane with a GPS after she's locked up to find her like a Gun Dog Magazine cover photo waiting for me. And, I have seen her point, relocate, and point on moving quail in the same cover.

She's a great little bitch out of what has been defined by the fanatis as a "pop up kennel", and I wouldn't trade her for the world. I will say that I judged her father, many pups out of her grandfather, and did several years research on the German kennel that her mother came from.

I got her luckily because I missed out on a pup out of an Orion bitch that "didn't have enough search for out west", but was a "decent grouse/quail dog"...all of which was the selling point to me. Again, alot of people think Paul's dogs are all big running... but, these are generalizations...

Do your due diligence, and that means getting out from behind the PC monitor and behind some breeding dogs, and you won't be disappointed.

Regards,

3ds
3drahthaars
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:33 pm

3drahthaars wrote:Looking at the last few posts, one thing comes to mind. And, that is the mistake of generalizing amongst breeds.

Do your due diligence, and that means getting out from behind the PC monitor and behind some breeding dogs, and you won't be disappointed.

3ds

It is really not possible to discuss a breed online without some degree of generalization. And it is useful to the discussion in terms of what the most likely outcome might be vs someone piping up about their 400 yard wheels turning 50 lb dog that is out of the norm for the breed in terms of both size and range for example ... (not you Bob)

But I also agree to the potential for variation to some extent, hence why I suggested consulting the west coast breed warden within the DDs to find those with an earned reputation for bigger running and then attending some NA tests and getting eyes on some pups out of those lines.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby SMAbby » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:17 pm

AverageGuy wrote:I was hoping you meant yards.

Yes, I think your pup may well open up more as it gains experience and maturity. Have seen some that did and some that did not. I bought a Garmin Alpha with my current pup and it allowed me to keep track of him in silence and never recall him just because I was getting nervous while he was out of sight. I think it is an excellent tool to allow a pup to develop its range, independence and search with minimal interference from the handler.

Spot on!
What I have seen from MANY SM owners is that they hack the pup in from day 1. Having a garmin will eliminate the feeling of having to hack the dog.
Let them run the first year.....safely of coarse. Things can be adjusted later. But things cant always be undone once taken away.
This I have had to learn for myself and from the help of the SM guru that lives on the hill. :D
VC Max vom Schutzenknapp VJP 75, HZP190, VGP 303 PI 4H Nose, NA 112, UT 204 Invite 196
Baja vom Wamsbach VJP 64, HZP 169, NA 112
Anka vom Loofkamp VJP 66, HZP 139,HZP 172, NA 112
Krystal Creeks Untamed Spirit ( Abby) NA 93 Prize III UT 200 Prize II
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Previous

Return to General Discussion