Tell me about the Small Munsterlander

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Tell me about the Small Munsterlander

Postby Constructeur » Tue May 30, 2017 11:50 pm

KJ wrote:If you want another power chukar dog like your Tygh, and you are heading to north Idaho, get a shorthair from Dan Hoke in Spokane. If you want a similar style hunting dog that is more personable and easier around the house, get a field bred GWP from a breeder that hunts chukars.

Having seen plenty of KJ's dogs, I'd go a KJ GWP over a Hoke Shorthair anyday. 8)
Constructeur
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby KJ » Wed May 31, 2017 8:23 am

Constructeur,
Thanks for the kind words. Hoke raises some nice shorthairs, especially if you are looking for a upland dog with some horsepower. Fortunately, their are also a handful of GWP breeders in the NW that are hunters and producing dogs that can run around a little bit, too.
KJ
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Wed May 31, 2017 9:01 am

"Run around a little bit too." Now there's an understatement if there ever was one.

Rowdy: Ya might want to show up at the Treasure Valley Test this weekend, stay in Baker City. The test is just west of North Powder a few miles. Most of us stay at the Best Western.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby KJ » Wed May 31, 2017 12:13 pm

orhunter,
AvergeGuy may also be in attendance at the Baker test!
KJ
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Wed May 31, 2017 12:38 pm

KJ wrote:I have seen a number of them over the years, and hunted over a few.

All I have seen have been very friendly. My guess is that they are great family/house dogs. They are great tracking dogs, but pretty weak on pointing (both in instinct and intensity). Searches are OK for mixed hunting, but don't expect a run-and-gun chukar dog like your white shorthair. Sorry you lost him. He looked like a great dog.

If you want another power chukar dog like your Tygh, and you are heading to north Idaho, get a shorthair from Dan Hoke in Spokane. If you want a similar style hunting dog that is more personable and easier around the house, get a field bred GWP from a breeder that hunts chukars.

If you are looking for a completely different style of dog, than maybe a SM or different breed is a good match.

I would never get a dog from Hoke, much less have a conversation with him.
"You have to be smarter than the dog to train it."
"A working dog is a happy dog."
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
"Chukar: The first time you hunt them it's for sport. After that it's revenge."
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Wed May 31, 2017 12:39 pm

SMAbby wrote:First, there are 2 clubs. The Small Munsterlander club that uses NAVHDA as their breed approval system.
The ther3 is KLM-GNA and we run JGHV tests and hold breed show ad have an extensive health data base.

KIM are very smart and if you are going to play silly wings on strings and such, they will flag. When I work my bitch on pigeons in a trap, she flags.She has figured out the game and is playing along. I hunt her on wild birds she is rock solid.Its a total generalization that they have no style or are not staunch on point.
They range well. I never cut my pups legs off until the following year. I think this has given me bigger running dogs. Even my 53cm will open up and cover ground nice.

Just like ANY other breed out there, you will run into some duds. I am pretty familiar with a current kennel that is breeding a male dog that did not make the grade hip wise in the GNA club.

They are great in the house. No kidding. maybe 5 to 10 min energy spurt when we get home or have company and then they are right back to settled in.
wish you were closer I would take you out with my dogs.

The loss of Melissa was devastating to the breed in my opinion. We spoke often and I know she had been troubled for a few years. She showed me alot and was always around with helpful ideas.
This was my "C" litter and I wanted to do something to remind me of her smile and talent. I ended up naming one of my pups "Cadence" as this was the name of one of her personal dogs.
I was in the duck blind when I got the call......:-( Good people she was.

This was a great memory. It was the SMCNA conference in 2011. I entered Max in the puppy class, but it was cancelled so we had to run with the big dogs. I was concererned as he was just a pup running against older dogs and VC dogs. Melissa told me not to worry about it and that she would be my gunnar. We ended up taking 1st place with Max and 2nd with Abby! She was a great shot among other things.

Thanks. That is some good info to consider.
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Wed May 31, 2017 3:18 pm

KJ: Cool.....
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:03 pm

After this thread and talking with a couple SM owners in person, I'm probably going to stay somewhere in the range of a female NAVHDA shorthair, to a female DD.
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby 3drahthaars » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:08 pm

RowdyGSP wrote:After this thread and talking with a couple SM owners in person, I'm probably going to stay somewhere in the range of a female NAVHDA shorthair, to a female DD.

Curious as to what turned you off of the KLM / SM.

3ds
3drahthaars
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby SMAbby » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:20 pm

im guessing range and flag.
VC Max vom Schutzenknapp VJP 75, HZP190, VGP 303 PI 4H Nose, NA 112, UT 204 Invite 196
Baja vom Wamsbach VJP 64, HZP 169, NA 112
Anka vom Loofkamp VJP 66, HZP 139,HZP 172, NA 112
Krystal Creeks Untamed Spirit ( Abby) NA 93 Prize III UT 200 Prize II
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby 3drahthaars » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:19 pm

SMAbby wrote:im guessing range and flag.

Like you explained, if you screw around enough with wings, and in my experience "planted" birds, an intelligent versatile dog will figure out the game and flag.

I used a launcher 3x on my female, then I put it away (in case my next pup lacks the intelligence) and just went hunting. She started to flag and want to bust in.

The remedy was to go hunting, and the result was/is a dog that on several occasions took me 15-20 minutes to locate in the cane via Garmin Astro and was still on point!

3ds
3drahthaars
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby CEA » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:00 pm

I have a 3 year old PP and a 6 month old SM. The SM is a very nice dog with high drive and a outstanding shut off. I want to get more of both breeds.
CEA
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby daeion » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:11 am

We have an 8 month old SM and she's a great member of the family, really goofy sometimes around the house, but tons of drive in the field and at the end of 10 days of gun and bird intro she was pointing, just can't get her swimming yet... I was originally looking at getting a GSP but after meeting many and watching them at NA tests I never met one that I'd want to take home. I understand that these are hunting dogs, but the reality is that we aren't going to be hunting most of the year so our dog is going to be a house pet more than a hunting dog, with that in mind it was very important that the dog have an off switch, which no GSP that I've ever met has.
daeion
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby RowdyGSP » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:34 pm

Basically the range turned me off. Or lack thereof. Also the tenacity for flagging isn't high on my list even though I know not all of them flag.
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Constructeur » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:48 pm

CEA wrote:I have a 3 year old PP and a 6 month old SM. The SM is a very nice dog with high drive and a outstanding shut off. I want to get more of both breeds.

My 2 favorite breeds too.
Constructeur
Master Poster
Master Poster

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion