Obedience in house

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Obedience in house

Postby Northstar » Tue May 23, 2017 8:57 am

Looking for some insight with my 10 month old PP. When he is home without me he is driving my wife and kids crazy by grabbing pillows and running around the house. My wife is fairly consistent with him and spends time with him walking etc. Any thoughts on corrections would be appreciated.
Northstar
Pup
Pup

Re: Obedience in house

Postby orhunter » Tue May 23, 2017 9:12 am

He's looking for attention and he know he gets it by doing it. A couple things you can try is first to ignore the dog when he does it and second, put away all the pillows. We had a Basset Hound that would drag every pillow in the house out to the back yard if the door was left open. She taught us to keep bedroom doors shut.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Duckdon » Tue May 23, 2017 9:36 am

Obedience. Teach "Down" and use it when in the house. I have 5 large dogs, 2 of which are 13 months old now. No rough house play in the house. They are all "Down" when in the house. Another option, the crate.
Don and Crew
Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 4 Drahthaars.
Tundramoor Drahthaar Kennel
Don Lietzau, Chugiak, Alaska
Duckdon
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Tue May 23, 2017 9:42 am

At that age I have always found the pup needs supervision. When I am not able/wanting to provide it, I restrict the pup's access and activities using an outdoor kennel. Many others use an indoor crate. And I close doors and remove obvious temptations to limit their access, while leaving items I want them to use to burn off energy on the floor. It has always gotten better as the pup grows up and yours will too.

I have a lumbar support pillow I use in my recliner. My pup has grabbed it and paraded around with it MANY times growing up. We put it out of his reach when not in use and the behavior has declined to near zero. But he did it again last night when I let him in and was changing from my rubber chore boots to leather boots upon entering the house while he foraged ahead to greet the old dog who was already in the house. It is exactly as Orhunter says, he comes running straight to me with it, as he prefers being disciplined to being ignored. We will reach a point where he leaves it alone entirely. I thought we were there now but he proved me wrong last night.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Tue May 23, 2017 10:05 am

Obedience is an all-the-time thing, not just when he's outside and you're training him. Every waking minute of every day is a golden opportunity to train a dog. Most people waste these valuable minutes. You can shorten your time training a gun dog or competitive dog immensely by simply enforcing obedience in the dog 24 hours a day. It's easy and really doesn't require much effort. The only things "magic " about having a well trained dog are teaching, repeating, consistency. That's it.
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Tue May 23, 2017 10:05 am

Obedience is an all-the-time thing, not just when he's outside and you're training him. Every waking minute of every day is a golden opportunity to train a dog. Most people waste these valuable minutes. You can shorten your time training a gun dog or competitive dog immensely by simply enforcing obedience in the dog 24 hours a day. It's easy and really doesn't require much effort. The only things "magic " about having a well trained dog are teaching, repeating, consistency. That's it.
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Tue May 23, 2017 10:12 am

It is way to late for real success. Not saying it can't be done, but, if it was ever gonna get done it would already be done.
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby bhennessy » Tue May 23, 2017 6:25 pm

Well, at least he isn't destroying those pillows...hopefully. I've found with my Griff that he just really likes to work, and especially when he gets a little excited if he doesn't have a job, he'll give himself one.

Flip flops are his favorite thing to carry around the house if we forget to stash them in the off-limits laundry room. He'll grab one, trot around then come arcing back generally looking for the magic "fetch it up" and/or "hold" and then "release". He never gets to keep it and we always use it as a training opportunity. We don't scold him as I want him to love the work. I honestly think the dog just likes to keep busy and have a job.

When he was going through his thankfully short lived destruction stage (we lost a pillow or two) I taught him that "time out" was on the back stairs and he had to stay there until released. A little scolding too and he was generally crushed. I don't know if this would work on a PP though. My Griff isn't even that soft, but time out was super effective with him.

My 2 cents then is, generally let him carry whatever he wants and use it to reinforce fetch/hold/release. If you don't want it picked up at that age, then put it out of sight and reach. If he still gets something he knows he isn't supposed to then you've got an obedience issue. If he isn't on the e collar yet, then he will be soon I'm guessing? Make sure he knows what he can't pick up, then reinforce with the collar if other lower pressure methods fail.

I fully agree with Averageguy too. At 10 months, out of sight probably still means into trouble!
bhennessy
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Densa44 » Wed May 24, 2017 10:50 am

In addition to what you have just read, LOTS of exercise. I teach the dog what sight blinds are and then get her running them out to 600 M the dogs love it, it makes the duck search very easy to teach and it is fun for man and beast. When they get back in the truck they fal asleep right away, ditto for at home. Depending on where you teach this, you may have to bring your own water. I keep it up until I can see 3" of pink tongue.
Pine Ridges Ginnieve NA 112 UT pz 1 200
Camridge's Sienna NA 112 UT pz 1 204
Foothill Joce NA 112
Czarina Vom Oberland VJP 70 NA pz 112
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mastercaster » Wed May 24, 2017 3:01 pm

Densa44 wrote:In addition to what you have just read, LOTS of exercise. I teach the dog what sight blinds are and then get her running them out to 600 M the dogs love it, it makes the duck search very easy to teach and it is fun for man and beast. When they get back in the truck they fal asleep right away, ditto for at home. Depending on where you teach this, you may have to bring your own water. I keep it up until I can see 3" of pink tongue.

At what age would you expect a dog to be able to do this?
mastercaster
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Densa44 » Wed May 24, 2017 7:12 pm

Actually I never thought to include that in my post. As soon as they will retrieve a dummy. 6 months is lots. If you FF your dog any time after that. I'm an old retriever guy and if the dog drops the "bird" and doesn't pick it up you are out. So for years I've always fumbled the dummy when she brings it back, I say fetch it up and she does. After a few cycles she grabs it before it hits the ground and loves the game.

I started this for the same reason the OP wants to do it, to give the dogs more exercise than I could by walking them. I start by showing the dog where the dummies are, don't put them too close together of she will be tempted to switch or bring you 2 at once.

It may take a day or two before she gets what you want and then the sky is the limit. My young one barks when I send her for the second one! This helps teaching just about anything else in retrieving.

BTW This is not lining a Black Lab don't put the dummies all in a straight line set it up so that she hunts. It is not hard to transfer it to the water. Let us know how this works.
Pine Ridges Ginnieve NA 112 UT pz 1 200
Camridge's Sienna NA 112 UT pz 1 204
Foothill Joce NA 112
Czarina Vom Oberland VJP 70 NA pz 112
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Thu May 25, 2017 4:00 pm

Northstar wrote:Looking for some insight with my 10 month old PP. When he is home without me he is driving my wife and kids crazy by grabbing pillows and running around the house. My wife is fairly consistent with him and spends time with him walking etc. Any thoughts on corrections would be appreciated.

Its a game to him. I don't think it has anything to do with obedience, really.

He grabs pillows. Your wife and kids chase him for it. What Fun.

My mom's lab does the same thing. He waits til she's on the phone, grabs something he shouldn't, and walks in front of her mouthing it and taunting her because he knows she doesn't want to yell at him while she's talking to her sister. So it becomes a game of keep away with the derpy lab skedaddling just in front of my mom, thumping his otterlike tail the entire while.
JONOV
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Return to General Discussion