DDs and cats

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

DDs and cats

Postby oldtimer » Sat May 20, 2017 12:16 pm

Does anyone have inside cats with their DD? I have no cats inside, because my DD and PP would kill them. I have outside cats that never come in, and know to stay out of the fenced in backyard. I never socialized my dogs with cats.
oldtimer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: DDs and cats

Postby marysburg » Sat May 20, 2017 3:28 pm

I have a GSP, and two friends have DDs. We all have indoor cats, but the pups were raised with cats in the house. No problems with the family cats, but strays in the yard are pushing their luck.
marysburg
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Densa44 » Sat May 20, 2017 4:49 pm

I have 4 pps but the cat is very concerned about the German one, she stalks the cat and I have to watch her like a hawk.
Pine Ridges Ginnieve NA 112 UT pz 1 200
Camridge's Sienna NA 112 UT pz 1 204
Foothill Joce NA 112
Czarina Vom Oberland VJP 70 NA pz 112
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GFORCE » Sat May 20, 2017 5:33 pm

PP he gets a little excited when the cats go racing by in the house. Usually he just runs after them and sniffs their butts. More of a Fun Police situation. But the chickens...if they get out of their run forget about it.
Attachments
Packerandkittens.jpg
GFORCE
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Calvinator » Sat May 20, 2017 9:59 pm

All 7 of my PP are fine with indoor cats. Outdoor cats are fair game as they should be. Cats should not be allowed to roam free killing our native wildlife. It is estimated that free roaming cats kill upwards of 1.4 billion birds annually. Cats are the #1 problem our native birds face!

Calvin
Calvinator
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby bhennessy » Sat May 20, 2017 10:28 pm

Calvinator wrote:All 7 of my PP are fine with indoor cats. Outdoor cats are fair game as they should be. Cats should not be allowed to roam free killing our native wildlife. It is estimated that free roaming cats kill upwards of 1.4 billion birds annually. Cats are the #1 problem our native birds face!

Calvin

Agreed completely Calvin. Being an urban dweller I also get so frustrated with people who let their outdoor cats roam at will, crap under my house and carry fleas into my yard.
bhennessy
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby carramrod » Sun May 21, 2017 1:08 pm

Calvinator wrote:All 7 of my PP are fine with indoor cats. Outdoor cats are fair game as they should be. Cats should not be allowed to roam free killing our native wildlife. It is estimated that free roaming cats kill upwards of 1.4 billion birds annually. Cats are the #1 problem our native birds face!

Calvin

Agreed. All outdoor cats are fair game. Ironic some of the same people against hunting birds turn a blind eye on their cats outside.
carramrod
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby stubblejumper » Mon May 22, 2017 8:12 pm

I don't have a cat, but my DD has come face to face with a few, and he has never been aggressive to them. At this point the only animals other than birds that he likes to chase are rabbits.
stubblejumper
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Georgia Boy » Mon May 22, 2017 9:38 pm

I don't have any cats, if I did they wouldn't live 5 seconds with my DD or Teckels
Home of the truly versatile hunting companion. http://www.vommountaincreek.com
Georgia Boy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Whiskers » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:59 pm

My DD will flat out kill any stray or feral cat he catches outside (along with any other vermin) one minute, then come in the house and play with/tolerate the two house cats. He was raised with both of them since a pup though. One of them might not be long for this earth if she keeps pushing him though... He is also great with all domestic dogs from a Chihuahua to a great dane, but will engage every coyote and fox he can. My 18 month old can crawl all over him without any worries also. All about training and conditioning.
Whiskers
Started
Started

Postby 3drahthaars » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:36 am

I have two friends with DDs that co-habitate with cats.

Both dogs have HN, one several raccoons, the other with a feral cat.

Now, if I were to pick my perfect dog it would be a dog with the switch to not KILL what belonged to the "pack" yet could handle its duty in the field.

Just my $.02,

3ds
3drahthaars
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Duckdon » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:56 pm

I hate cats. I believe my dogs can read my mind.
Don and Crew
Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 4 Drahthaars.
Tundramoor Drahthaar Kennel
Don Lietzau, Chugiak, Alaska
Duckdon
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Highlander » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:32 pm

When I brought my DK home my sister brought a kitten a week after. They grow up together and become the best friends.
She (the DK) loved him (the cat) but hated any other cats in the neighborhood.
The hunter from highlands
Highlander
Started
Started

Postby bhennessy » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:21 am

Duckdon wrote:I hate cats. I believe my dogs can read my mind.
Don and Crew

x2. Can't stand them either. My Griff keeps them out of our yard for the most part, but I've got to watch him around the neighborhood as he's constantly in fur mode. I cannot fathom he would tolerate one in the house. I'd be fine with a few less cats around, but I don't want to have to pay off their owners.
bhennessy
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Return to General Discussion