For Those Who Like Nice Guns

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

For Those Who Like Nice Guns

Postby orhunter » Mon May 15, 2017 12:13 pm

If this doesn't bring tears to your eyes.............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUXoNUzAyvk
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: For Those Who Like Nice Guns

Postby STait » Mon May 15, 2017 2:07 pm

WOW!!! Thanks for posting.
STait
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Mon May 15, 2017 3:25 pm

My house is worth less than they get for some of those guns.
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Texasphez » Mon May 15, 2017 3:31 pm

What a rip off, 10's of thousands of dollars they charge for those things, and in 18 minutes they made how many? :D

Really enjoyed watching that!
Texasphez
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby bhennessy » Mon May 15, 2017 9:40 pm

I had some time to kill in Manhattan one day so I went to the Holland and Holland showroom near grand central. Amazing guns. so expensive.

Two thirds of them were used and still were well in excess of $20 or $30k. Definitely worth a visit.
bhennessy
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby woodboro » Sat May 20, 2017 9:13 am

Even if I was a millionaire , I would not buy a new gun..
BUT I would buy a used one....

I have handled a Boss , Purdey = and when you mount the gun ,there is no other feeling like it. :!:
woodboro
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Huntin4fun » Sat May 20, 2017 9:53 am

Never would have imagined the level of "handcrafted"!

Almost hard to watch him reposition those barrels! I was like "oh no! You are gonna wreck em!"
Huntin4fun
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby orhunter » Sat May 20, 2017 10:14 am

Bhennessy: You should have been wearing your reading glasses, those prices start at around $200K for the used stuff.

H4f: Yea, that's what I thought.

When I was there, the only thing I could afford was a H&H belt buckle. Wife wanted to buy me one but told her if I didn't have the gun I shouldn't be wearing the belt buckle. The closest thing I have to anything H&H is two Remington Model 721's in .300 H&H. One I've never fired. Have put a couple of bulls in the freezer with the other. They'll launch a Nosler 180 gr. at 3050 fps and leave a fifty cent piece size exit wound on the off side.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby blue04 » Sat May 20, 2017 11:58 pm

orhunter wrote:and leave a fifty cent piece size exit wound on the off side.

and leave a baseball sized bruise on your shoulder?
blue04
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Sun May 21, 2017 7:07 am

I made it through about 4 or the videos then started to cry and couldn't watch anymore. Beautiful pieces but I doubt anyone would let me through the door to even look at one.

If they saw the way I handled my guns in a grouse and woodcock cover, they'd put a bounty on me.

Those guns are great to look at, to see the incredible precision with which they are made, the beauty of the Turkish Walnut, but in truth I would never want one. I see them as impractical works of art. Like carrying a painting to a duck blind. I had a midas grade superposed made for me once and sold it because I couldn't stand to use it. The bead on those guns is probably more valuable than my poor little midas grade.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Sun May 21, 2017 8:40 am

Blue: Recoil is quite mild when compared to the .300 Win. Mag. I have a .338-'06AI that kicks far more than the H&H.

Gonehuntn': Yea, they're not for me either but I am in the market for something nice since I've never owned anything that could be considered nice. Kinda looking toward Zoli or Guerini right now. Finding a nice 28 gauge is a bit of a challenge. Looks like they come in two barrel sets combined with the 20 gauge and if there's something I don't want, it's a 20. Other guns like Kreighoff or Perazzi seem to focus on competition 12 gauges. Getting through some of the websites is a challenge also. Local dealers is another. Not going to make an on-line purchase because not many guns fit me out of the box. If I can't shoulder it, I'm not buying it.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Sun May 21, 2017 8:48 am

I'm very fortunate in the fit regard Orhunter. Most guns fit me out of the box. I test them by starting at a tiny spot on a wall, closing my eyes, then quickly shouldering the gun and then opening my eyes to see if I'm dead on.

A few (about 12) years ago I decided that I was no upland hunter unless I was shooting a side by side, english stock. Now, the problem came in because I shoot left handed, I'm blind in my right eye. Virtually, no EVERY side by side I tested had a bent stock for a right hand shooter. When I threw them up, they would point right of the point of aim. Finally I got hold of a Ruger Gold Label. Wow. Fit like a glove. Kicked like Mohamed Ali. I had to put a recoil pad on it and I am NOT sensitive to recoil. I love the look of a beautiful side by side but at my age I'm now content to did shooting the same Super Light Superposed I've shot for the last 50+ years. She ain't purty but she's mine. Incidentally, sold the Gold Label after a year of being in the ring with it for less than I paid for it. Story of my life. Buy high, sell low.

OLD RELIABLE.

GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Sun May 21, 2017 9:14 am

Gonehuntin': Everybody is recommending side X sides but not in the market for one, never warmed up to their looks. I shoot them okay but they aren't me. A gun with sentimental or collector value is of no interest, don't want to feel the need to baby something and keep it in pristine condition. Don't need to look pretty and sophisticated when I'm hunting but there's one thing I won't skimp on and that's the wood. A nice gun is always built around the wood. One of a kind engraving with gold inlays and other custom doodads, doesn't carry any weight. Something simple and clean is just fine. I have a couple of e-mails out to Zoli and Guerini and waiting for a response. Browning is another consideration as they have a nice custom shop, I should shoot them a note. I already have nine Brownings, might as well make it ten.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Sun May 21, 2017 9:25 am

orhunter wrote:Gonehuntin': Everybody is recommending side X sides but not in the market for one, never warmed up to their looks. I shoot them okay but they aren't me. A gun with sentimental or collector value is of no interest, don't want to feel the need to baby something and keep it in pristine condition. Don't need to look pretty and sophisticated when I'm hunting but there's one thing I won't skimp on and that's the wood. A nice gun is always built around the wood. One of a kind engraving with gold inlays and other custom doodads, doesn't carry any weight. Something simple and clean is just fine. I have a couple of e-mails out to Zoli and Guerini and waiting for a response. Browning is another consideration as they have a nice custom shop, I should shoot them a note. I already have nine Brownings, might as well make it ten.

Man of my own heart. You can also still find Ruger 28's, straight stock, built on a true 28 frame. I have a Browning Feather with sets of 20 and 28 barrels built on a 20 frame. I never shoot the 28 because it's the same wt. as the 20. I have handled the Ruger 28's at Scheel's used and like them a lot. But. They have the uglies wood the good lord ever created. I would be half tempted to buy one and have it re-stocked. It's also possible that if you got one and sanded down the stock, then hand rubbed it, it would come out very nice. I am tempted by one every time I see one with 28" barrels.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Willie T » Sun May 21, 2017 1:18 pm

I grew up hunting upland birds with my grandpa. He carried a Winchester model 21. I guess that imprinted me early on as far as what the best looking bird guns look like to me. When he passed away he left me the 21. Boy was I excited till I tried to shoot it. LOP is perfect but I am a lefty and just like you GH, the cast does not work for me. I couldn't bring myself to alter it so I ended up giving it to my son who loves it. I ended up settling on 20ga over unders as my favorite. I am a forester by profession and I'm sure that influences the fact that I am a sucker for satin oil finished, well figured,American black walnut. Give me a blued gun with a well figured black walnut stock that fits me well and I am content.
Willie
Willie T
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Next

Return to General Discussion