Off the wall Dog ID

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Off the wall Dog ID

Postby bhennessy » Sun May 14, 2017 5:45 pm

Today I had my Griff out for a down payment bike ride to wear him out and we stopped in a park so he could cool off in a fountain. A passing guy took an interest him in and asked if he was a Berenedoodle. I had to ask him to repeat twice before I figured out he was asking if Bear was a cross between a Bernese Mountain Dog and a Poodle! Is that legal!?

After I told him about Griffs, to the guys credit he lamented that it was a shame that most strange dogs he comes across these days seem to be some sort of crazy "doodle" cross or the other.

This was definitely the most obscure and out of whack ID of my Vdog in his 2.5 years. I'm sure though there are some great stories of other crazy "is that a.....dog" among this crowd.
bhennessy
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: Off the wall Dog ID

Postby Texasphez » Sun May 14, 2017 9:45 pm

Just be thankful you don't have a Pudelpointer and have to explain that to every idiot that comes by!
Texasphez
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Smilin Jack » Mon May 15, 2017 6:52 am

X2
If You Can't be a Good Example then You will just have to Serve as a Horrible Warning
Smilin Jack
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby orhunter » Mon May 15, 2017 9:47 am

I suppose the oddest I've heard is Schnauzer. I get GSP a lot. I then ask, "Does she have short hair?" Or, "she's the best looking of my three daughters, the only one I can bring out in public."
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Mon May 15, 2017 10:19 am

orhunter wrote:I suppose the oddest I've heard is Schnauzer. I get GSP a lot. I then ask, "Does she have short hair?" Or, "she's the best looking of my three daughters, the only one I can bring out in public."

Schnauzer I can kind of see, especially when they don't cut the ears, and I do get asked if my dog is a schnauzer once in awhile. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_Sch ... erhane.jpg looks like a GWP/DD that isn't docked.

I get the GSP comment with a questioning tone of voice, like they know its not quite that due to the shaggy coat.

People ask if my GWP is a wolfhound puppy, especially when he's wet at the beach, and also a Griffon or an Otterhund.
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Doc E » Mon May 15, 2017 10:20 am

Because our Yellow Labs are "fox red", we have a lot of people that wonder if they are Viszlas or Rhodesian Ridgebacks.

Doc E
HR UH MHR WR SR Casey RIP my friend :(
HRCH HR UH Tucker 1270 HR Ch. points :D
HRCH HR UH Weezle 250 HR Ch. points :)
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby carramrod » Mon May 15, 2017 11:06 am

Anytime anyone asks if it's some kind of doodle, just respond "no it's a cat".

I have to say I've had a lot more people ask he is a GWP more than odd ones recently. Maybe I'm just going to the right places more now.
carramrod
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Mon May 15, 2017 11:52 am

Last guy who came to my place and saw Spud in the kennel, asked if he was a Draht. There was no breed warden within ear shot, so I just said "yep". 30 years ago when I unloaded my first GWP at the family farm in KS, my Brother in Law called him a poodle (he has a good sense of humor and I enjoy it.) Had a little girl at a little league game last summer ask if Spud was a Schnauzer. I enjoy introducing him to people. There was a time when I would not have known what breed he is either.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Mon May 15, 2017 4:27 pm

Texasphez wrote:Just be thankful you don't have a Pudelpointer and have to explain that to every idiot that comes by!

Yeah...I've read more than one discussion board where someone brings it up only to have a couple of ignoramouses spout off about the issues they've seen with goldendoodles.
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby cjm » Mon May 15, 2017 5:57 pm

One convo I had that stands out about my PP:

"What kind of dog is that?"

me: "It's a pudelpointer"

"Ah, okay. I thought it looked like it had some poodle"

me: "Well, he shares a common ancestor with today's poodles, but the pudelpointer has actually been its own breed for over 100 years"

"Is that recognized by the AKC"

me: "No, and a lot of people like it that way because they are only working dogs"

"Well hopefully you guys will be able to get it recognized by the AKC soon!"

He starts to walk away and says to his partner, "Look at that one, some sort of poodle mix."
-----

meh. why do I bother?
cjm
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Scott Linden » Mon May 15, 2017 10:32 pm

If I had a nickel for every person who told me I owned a longhaired shorthair ...
www.scottlindenoutdoors.com
Follow the hunter with the longest nose!
Scott Linden
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby JONOV » Tue May 16, 2017 4:18 pm

Scott Linden wrote:If I had a nickel for every person who told me I owned a longhaired shorthair ...

I get that one as well.
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Urban_Redneck » Tue May 16, 2017 8:25 pm

Last week, I had a lady in Petsmart ask me (twice), if my dog (BA) was deaf. I guess her husband recognized the dumbfounded look on my face and said, "she thinks your dog is a Dalmatian, most Dalmatians are deaf."
Urban_Redneck
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby JASmith » Tue May 23, 2017 10:50 am

cjm wrote:One convo I had that stands out about my PP:

"What kind of dog is that?"

me: "It's a pudelpointer"

"Ah, okay. I thought it looked like it had some poodle"

me: "Well, he shares a common ancestor with today's poodles, but the pudelpointer has actually been its own breed for over 100 years"

"Is that recognized by the AKC"

me: "No, and a lot of people like it that way because they are only working dogs"

"Well hopefully you guys will be able to get it recognized by the AKC soon!"

He starts to walk away and says to his partner, "Look at that one, some sort of poodle mix."
-----

meh. why do I bother?

Yep... a couple times a week I feel like I am in this same exact conversation.

Now I try to make up stories, so at least it's entertaining to me.
For a while I was telling people she was just a wild dog I found. That went over well usually, but lots of follow up questions.
The "Rescued Chocolate Lab" is my go-to now days. I tell them she was homeless... and some people buy it because she is shaggy. LOL

Unless I know the person is actually interested in hunting, then I'll jump through the hoops of explaining what the PP is.

I really don't want every idiot knowing what my dog is 'because she is just so cute and now they want one'.
Rock Creek Gooseberry (Rebel)
JASmith
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby marsh » Tue May 23, 2017 11:49 am

JA-

I make up stuff now too- LOL. I just get so tired of the normal responses. I see if I can shock them into not asking anymore questions. It seems to be working well lately.
marsh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Next

Return to General Discussion