Issues with giardia (beaver fever)

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Issues with giardia (beaver fever)

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri May 19, 2017 1:54 pm

Here's everything you need to know about Giardia.

https://www.capcvet.org/guidelines/giardia/

Farm vets are great for the basics, but antibiotics and steroids don't fix everything.

If she's not hale and hearty by 8-10 months that may just be how she is. Some dogs are sensitive, others are garbage guts that can handle anything. If you continue to have trouble, a fecal PCR panel, or prescription GI profile will occasionally fix the "sensitive" ones that have a chronic infection or food sensitivity.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby deerhost » Tue May 30, 2017 10:43 pm

Dogs usually get Giardia as pups because of their lower immune system. Once they have it they will always have it. They may get over the symptoms and they may be out of the acute infestation phase but the Giardia cysts lay dormant in their system. When ever the dog gets stressed due to anything such as being placed in a strange kennel or being around strange dogs, it may be anything that the dog finds stressful. Its immunity is lowered and at such times the Giardia grabs a hold and reproduces to a point that Infestation occurs. Usually runny smelly stools with mucus and some times bright red blood from straining, lethargy, appetite my be good or not, the dog looks run down. These are just the most common symptoms. I have raised one type of hunting dog or another for the last 25 years. I have battled Giardia with a few dogs. What worked best for me is Metrondiazole which is a type of antibiotic that also kills Protozoa and acts as an ant inflammatory to the digestive track. Most vets will start the dog on a 5 day dose and repeat for another 7 days if the dog still has runny stool. It got very expensive so I purchased Metrondiazole over the counter marketed for fish. It's called Fish Zole and it is the same exact thing. I treat the dog for 7 days right off the bat. As someone else has said Safe guard wormer is also used for Giardia dosed for 5 days but it was never as effective as the Metrondiazole. I always keep it on hand now. As the dog ages they will have less frequent bouts of Giardia. I still have an 11 year old beagle who got Giardia as a pup and still has bouts of it from time to time. After treating the dog you should clean it's kennel and bedding and feed pans as the dog can reinfest itself from Giardia cysts clinging to its surroundings. Hope that helps.....deerhost.
deerhost
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby mastercaster » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:43 pm

So I figured an update was in order. As it turns out it's possible that my pup didn't have giardia at all. I don't think I mentioned it in an earlier post but the first time I took my griff into the vet to get her checkout for it they wanted a stool sample. It came back negative but my pup was still treated as if she had giardia,,,,,twice in in a three week period. Because I had put her on a bland diet of rice and boiled turkey for a few days the runny stool went away each time.

BUT the runny stool and frequent distress calls in the middle of the night occurred every time I'd go away on a 3-4 day fishing/camping trip which was every week in the month of May. When I'd go back to the white rice and boiled turkey, along with her probiotic, her digestive system would return to normal. This was when I thought it might not have anything to do with giardia at all and more to do with her diet even though at time there was some slime in it. That could have come from her eating things she had no business getting into while we were in the bush.

As far as her diet goes, when my griff was between 9 and 14 weeks I had her on a kibble diet made by a company called Go (maybe only available in Canada??),,,,it's pricey stuff consisting of turkey, duck, and trout,,,,no grain. She did OK on it but when I running out of it the store didn't have another large bag of it so I bought something similar from another Canadian company called Ultra, except instead of trout in it, it had salmon. It was during this time I was doing all my camping and fishing and because the food was so similar to the other I never gave it a second thought while I transitioned her over. I'm now quite positive it was what was causing her diarrhea, not giardia,,,,, but I'm no vet. Maybe there's an ingredient in there that doesn't sit well for her or maybe it's just too rich in protein at 37%.

In any event, I switched her onto Nutro,,,,a lamb and brown rice formula and her digestive system has been tickety boo since then. Didn't even bother to transition her onto this kibble. Right from day one she was fine with it and her digestive system appears to be doing fine.
Last edited by mastercaster on Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mastercaster
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby deerhost » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:38 pm

Sure sounds like Giardia. When you leave she is stressed and gets bouts of it. It could be IBS also. Also be careful with giving the dog too many treats. I feed my dogs the same food and try not to sketch too often whe u give them too Manet treats or biscuits it some times upsets their digestive system. Good luck.
deerhost
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby mastercaster » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:26 pm

deerhost wrote:Sure sounds like Giardia. When you leave she is stressed and gets bouts of it. It could be IBS also. Also be careful with giving the dog too many treats. I feed my dogs the same food and try not to sketch too often whe u give them too Manet treats or biscuits it some times upsets their digestive system. Good luck.

I'm not convinced it was giardia since her stool sample was negative. I don't think she was stressed out either,,,she seems to like going anywhere with me. We were up at my cabin the last four days and her stool was solid . She had only been on the new kibble for a 3-4 days before we left, too. Conversely, when she was on the other kibble (turkey, duck, salmon), even if we were at home, my townhouse small back yard looked ilk a mine field of cow-like poop patties.

I'll be heading out for another 3-4 days next Monday camping/fishing so I guess I'll find out for sure.
mastercaster
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby deerhost » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:59 pm

Master caster, I'll leave you with one more piece of info. Click and read the link on a detailed description of Giardia. You will understand why your vet thought your dog had Giardia even though the stool came back negative. Read and or skip to the paragraph on diagnosing Giardia. Most time stools come back negative. Good luck. http://www.beaglesunlimited.com/health/ ... prevention
deerhost
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby mastercaster » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:54 pm

deerhost wrote:Master caster, I'll leave you with one more piece of info. Click and read the link on a detailed description of Giardia. You will understand why your vet thought your dog had Giardia even though the stool came back negative. Read and or skip to the paragraph on diagnosing Giardia. Most time stools come back negative. Good luck. http://www.beaglesunlimited.com/health/ ... prevention

You're right,,,,she most likely had a case of it. Thanks for the link.
mastercaster
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby deerhost » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:41 am

If your dog does have it. He will get better as the dogs immune system matures. At 2-3 years of age the dog should rarely have any bouts of it. And as it gets older even less so. When the dog does show signes of it, put him on a bland diet for 4-5 days and if you can get it some Metrondiazole or the over the counter "safe Gaurd" wormer for the 5 days and she will be good. Take care Hope that helps. Dh
deerhost
Seasoned
Seasoned

Previous

Return to General Discussion