Issues with giardia (beaver fever)

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Issues with giardia (beaver fever)

Postby mastercaster » Tue May 09, 2017 3:52 pm

For the second time in as many months my 4 1/2 month old griff has gotten giardia. Maybe I need to be more careful with her when she's out in the bush or out for walks in the city parks. My two brittanies never had any issues with beaver fever when they drank out of lakes, streams, and puddles all the time. AND I'm sure they ate other stuff not on their menu like horse and moose droppings, too. Is it because my griff's digestive and immune system is still developing? Just wondering if you let your dogs drink where they may or do you pack water with you?

Somehow I think it would be pretty hard to stop a dog from lapping up water when they are hot or thirsty when you're out hunting, hiking, or working your dog but it looks like I'll really need to deter my pup from doing it.
mastercaster
Seasoned
Seasoned

Re: Issues with giardia (beaver fever)

Postby orhunter » Tue May 09, 2017 4:02 pm

My Griffs have drank, bathed in, some pretty skanky stuff and never had a problem. One of the worst things they can eat is cat poop. I try to keep them away from anything that looks questionable and always carry dog water when I think I should.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Tue May 09, 2017 4:10 pm

There is no way in Hell you are going to stop a dog from drinking in the wild. I had one dog get a rare strain of Lepto drinking water in the woods and died of it. This sport of hunting is many times not kind to us or our dog's.
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mastercaster » Tue May 09, 2017 10:55 pm

I think part of the reason my pup has come down with it is because she's young and her immune system isn't as strong as an adult dog's is yet. The vet gave me some medicine for her to take over the next five days and also suggested she take a probiotic to strengthen the digestive abilities of her gut. She also mentiioned that I could put a rubber muzzle on her when she's outside the cabin on her own just to make sure she doesn't get into anything she shouldn't.

She just has a way of finding anything people discard,,,,orange peels, slimy banana peels, apple cores. I know these things won't kill her but as soon as she grabs them they're down her gullet in very short order because she knows if I see her with it I'll take it from her.

She even likes to eat the old caps off the acorns that fell out of the tree last fall. You'd think I never feed her. LOL

mastercaster
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby hicntry » Tue May 09, 2017 11:57 pm

You can try a wormer called Fenbendazole, When used, it is administered 3 times for worms to kill most any type of worm. Given on 5 consecutive days it will normally take care of giardia. Can be purchased over the counter at feed stores for cattle in liquid and is administered at one cc per 5lbs of body weight.
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Wed May 10, 2017 6:49 am

Quit obsessing over it. You will never stop her. In your yard or on a leash there's a fool proof way to do it. The word NO. It's just something they do and we have to put up with.
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Wed May 10, 2017 9:06 am

My dogs have always gotten good plain yogurt with their evening meal. I wouldn't say it's a cure all for sure it's just what I do.

Hicntry gives good advice. You can get all sorts of medications there without going through your vet and save a ton of cash over the years. Ivermectin for other worms including heart worms. Your local pet store that has aquarium supplies and fish for Tetracycline.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mastercaster » Wed May 10, 2017 9:30 am

orhunter wrote:My dogs have always gotten good plain yogurt with their evening meal. I wouldn't say it's a cure all for sure it's just what I do.

Hicntry gives good advice. You can get all sorts of medications there without going through your vet and save a ton of cash over the years. Ivermectin for other worms including heart worms. Your local pet store that has aquarium supplies and fish for Tetracycline.

I know other owners who do that, as well, but the probiotics that are in yogurt which are good for people are the same ones that dogs need in their gut for good digestion. Just the same, it sure couldn't help to add some yogurt to a dog's diet. I may have to check out feed stores, etc. for meds because every time I go to the vets it's about a hundred bucks!
mastercaster
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby orhunter » Wed May 10, 2017 9:54 am

I got tired of $100+ vet visits but have found a couple over the years that don't automatically reach for your wallet when you walk through the door. I can't believe how much money I've saved by not having to go to my local/neighborhood rip off for everything.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Constructeur » Wed May 10, 2017 10:12 am

Find the closest 'farm vet' to you and build that relationship. Mine is about an hour away, near a training ground, and right about 1/2 the price of a city vet.

and when doing the yogurt thing, as per Doc E, I use organic and mix is some organic pumpkin puree as well.
Constructeur
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Chadwick » Wed May 10, 2017 11:16 am

You could just get the dog vaccinated for giardia and then you wouldn't have to worry about it.
Chadwick
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Willie T » Thu May 11, 2017 11:45 am

My PP got girardia at 12 weeks of age. Bad luck your pup getting it twice. Dogs are gonna drink out of about any hole of water they come up on. Especially when they get hot. It's just something dogs do to regulate their body temperature. With age they usually toughen up.
Willie
Willie T
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby mastercaster » Thu May 11, 2017 3:21 pm

Chadwick wrote:You could just get the dog vaccinated for giardia and then you wouldn't have to worry about it.

I wasn't aware that dogs could be vaccinated for giardia. Might be something to look at. I wonder how old pups have to be when their immune system is such that they can fight off the bug without any meds. I have started her on some canine probiotics to help her gut/digestive process.
mastercaster
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby twistedoak » Sun May 14, 2017 8:24 pm

theres nothing I can do to stop my dog from drinking out of streams lakes or ponds .
but I do pack water and am pretty successful at keeping her from drinking out of puddles or stagnate wallows.
twistedoak
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby mastercaster » Fri May 19, 2017 12:30 am

twistedoak wrote:theres nothing I can do to stop my dog from drinking out of streams lakes or ponds .
but I do pack water and am pretty successful at keeping her from drinking out of puddles or stagnate wallows.

With my pup it's not just the water she gets into. Nope! I do a lot of fishing in the spring so we've been going on a 3-4 day trip each week in May and even though my 4 1/2 month old pup is good at sticking around the camp area on the whole while we're setting up she usually gets into other people's fire pits, nosing around for anything they may have put in there,,,,,not to mention that there's often fresh horse, moose, or deer crap in the near vicinity.

I guess I'm going to have to keep her in her crate or leashed up while setting up the tent, etc. since I can't watch her every move but then I will have to contend with the whining or barking because she wants to romp about after being stuck in the truck after a 3-4 hour drive. If I don't confine her, though, she'll end up having the runs again like she is having at the moment after our last 4 day stint. Not only that but she got me up twice through the night two nights in a row because of the digestion disorders which seem to occur every camping trip which is VERY annoying.

How old do dogs need to be for their digestive abilities are such that you don't have to worry about then drinking lake, stream, pond water, etc.? Obviously, her immune system isn't there yet!
mastercaster
Seasoned
Seasoned

Next

Return to General Discussion