GSP Breeder search begins

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

GSP Breeder search begins

Postby overit2 » Thu May 04, 2017 10:39 am

Hello all,

My SO and I know that down the road (likely another year or 1.5yrs) we want to get another dog as a companion to our Weim pup (now 7 months). Honestly I LOVE the Weim breed-his breeder did an excellent job on temperament/conformation and bird ability/hunting. So we have a very well rounded dog- YES he does have some separation anxiety (mainly with me) but even that is improving each month that goes by. He's not anxious, nervous, shaky, edgy, aggressive. We socialized him extensively (still do) -from other dogs, to people, we take him in to as many stores that allow us to, in the car, at AKC gatherings, NAVHDA training. He's very affectionate, sweet and great disposition. Hard for me to find any faults with him honestly.
My SO also loves GSP's-and we met a few at our NAVHDA gathering that REALLY made us both fall for the breed.

We have a list of solid Weim breeders to choose from if we go that route (Silvershot/Southpaw/Timberdoodle a few) but really know not much of solid GSP breeders. We live in GA but we are willing to travel to find the right fit. We would be looking for parents with both NAVHDA and AKC titles but not an owner that would push to show. We will be showing our Weim but only because of breeder desire and he really does have excellent conformation-he's an absolute stunner. But HE nor us have much interest in that at ALL. We LOVE learning about bird hunting and focusing on those aspects more. We're totally getting into the sport and enjoying it so much.

So couple questions- anyone have both breeds, how do they get along? Are GSP's sweet? Hard to imagine a sweeter dog then our boy Weim. We would likely go with a female to avoid the 'male wars'- We do plan to stud our Weim down the road after completing his championships and hunt titles and testing when we find suitable bitch as well as our breeder will be helping us pair him up. I heard that a male and female combo in dogs get along the best. How do your male/female gsp's compare at home and in the field?

We want him to have a friend and partner to play and expend that energy on and frankly we've always wanted 2 dogs. Now, our Weim DOES have an off switch-he can play hard and lounge/lay around and be calm also. He doesn't need a 8 mile run every day top be calm. So he has energy but it's not as extreme as I thought it would be-could be he's young still.

Similarly we'd look for a GSP line that CAN be calm family dogs as well as great in the field/water. Our kids are all teens and close to graduating HS so we have more time for our pups and activities.

Thanks in advance.
overit2
Started
Started

Re: GSP Breeder search begins

Postby JTracyII » Thu May 04, 2017 1:30 pm

I'd recommend NAVHDA bred dogs that that are bred by folks who do a lot of duck hunting. Dogs bred to sit quietly to sit in duck blinds are likely a bit calmer by nature, at least in theory. Sharp Shooter kennels are well known. Where do you live? I may have missed it in your post.
JTracyII
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby overit2 » Thu May 04, 2017 2:01 pm

I'm in GA- in doing some search though....Walnut Hills is in GA- and actually Rick was recommended to me by both my breeder and the Weim Club secretary in my area ALSO recommended him as a good trainer for our Weim (along with another one that works mainly with Weims). I reached out to Rick/Brenda just earlier via e-mail.

I think I may have run into him as a matter of fact perhaps at a AKC hunt test or NAVHDA training day. Not sure.
overit2
Started
Started

Postby Calvinator » Thu May 04, 2017 6:52 pm

Dreampoint Kennel in OH!
Calvinator
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby TobyTx » Fri May 05, 2017 9:47 am

Sharpshooter is going to have a 2 to 3 year wait.
Cabo vom Sendero vjp 69 hzp np
TobyTx
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby volraider » Sat May 06, 2017 6:47 pm

http://www.walnuthillgsps.us/

Brenda and Rick raise very nice dogs. Very versatile dogs and look great too boot!
1 Year old male Shorthair from Westwind kennels.
volraider
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby TXBirdHunter » Sun May 07, 2017 11:04 pm

Check out Steve Ries and Top Gun Kennels in Iowa. I had a deposit on one of his litters before I was given my current GSP. I talked to him on the phone for awhile and he was very knowledgeable, patient with plenty of questions, and definitely has a passion for bird dogs.
TXBirdHunter
Pup
Pup

Postby Huntin4fun » Mon May 08, 2017 8:04 pm

TXBirdHunter wrote:Check out Steve Ries and Top Gun Kennels in Iowa. I had a deposit on one of his litters before I was given my current GSP. I talked to him on the phone for awhile and he was very knowledgeable, patient with plenty of questions, and definitely has a passion for bird dogs.

I contacted Steve when I was searching for my next hunting partner, and while I ended up finding one closer to home and didn't purchase from him, everytime I spoke to him I was impressed!
Huntin4fun
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Coopdvlle » Tue May 09, 2017 3:21 pm

overit2 wrote:I'm in GA- in doing some search though....Walnut Hills is in GA- and actually Rick was recommended to me by both my breeder and the Weim Club secretary in my area ALSO recommended him as a good trainer for our Weim (along with another one that works mainly with Weims). I reached out to Rick/Brenda just earlier via e-mail.

I think I may have run into him as a matter of fact perhaps at a AKC hunt test or NAVHDA training day. Not sure.

You will not find better quality dogs or better quality people, and they're in your back yard!
Coopdvlle
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby TobyTx » Tue May 09, 2017 7:16 pm

Willowcreek has come up in my search and has been recommended by others as well.
Cabo vom Sendero vjp 69 hzp np
TobyTx
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby roosterbrews » Tue May 09, 2017 9:03 pm

Hurricane kennels in Wisconsin. Very impressed with their dogs.
roosterbrews
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Return to General Discussion