Electric Chicken Fence

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Electric Chicken Fence

Postby njp158 » Mon May 01, 2017 10:03 am

I'd like to put up an electric fence around a chicken coop I have to keep out predators. However, I have a new DD puppy. He is 11 weeks old. I'm a litte nervous that if he gets a zap from the fence trying to mess with the chickens that it might affect him on game birds also. I have two older dogs that have been hunted extensively, so I'm really not worried about them. But the puppy with having really no exposure makes me a little nervous. What do you all think?
njp158
Seasoned
Seasoned

Re: Electric Chicken Fence

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Mon May 01, 2017 10:42 am

the fence should have no effect on the dog's desire to hunt birds, although I'm not sure an electric fence is the best way to protect your chickens from predators .
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby njp158 » Mon May 01, 2017 11:11 am

The electric fence I'm talking about may be bit different than what you are thinking. It's actually a netting that goes all the way down to the ground and can be moved. It's basically an electrifed poultry net.
njp158
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby GFORCE » Mon May 01, 2017 12:58 pm

How many chickens have you lost so far? I would be more worried about the puppy being afraid of fences in general. All/most hunting dogs get zapped at least once. My PP got his first one in SD last year bothered him for a bit but that was his second year and has been on birds a lot. This year he really got tagged from the neighbors fence ( HOT! ) he will not go near where that fence runs in that particular spot. I think the pup needs to know, trust and navigate fences and fences in general are not going to hurt him.
GFORCE
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby blue04 » Mon May 01, 2017 4:51 pm

I've had lots of dogs that love to dig over the years, and I've learned that a single strand of electric wire low to the ground around the perimeter of the dog yard is the best deterrent for digging out. Every dog I've had for the last 15+ years has lived inside this setup, and I haven't had a single "fence shy" dog. Nor has it affected their hunting in any negative way. I use a lower power e-fence box that is made for sheep and goats (the cow boxes are much hotter).

My dogs are "fence aware" in the field. Rather than just charge under a fence, they'll slow down and look at me. If I say "go ahead", they'll take off under it. I actually find this handy, as prior to the e-fence exposure, I had several dogs get gashed by charging under and/or through barbed wire fences. Now when the dogs pause, I have time to walk over and lift the bottom strand of barbed wire for them to go under.
blue04
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GFORCE » Thu May 04, 2017 1:19 pm

Good points Blue
GFORCE
Seasoned
Seasoned

Return to General Discussion