What's allowed in your household?

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: What's allowed in your household?

Postby mrelite » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:33 am

I have had my male EP for 2 months and he is 6 mths old now. I basically do not let him out of my sight, if he walks out of the room I have an eye on him. It is daunting to say the least but right now he has had very few bathroom accidents and has only chewed up a few things, it's amazing how fast something can get destroyed, in time with good behavior I will loosen up on him but he will never be allowed on furniture, his world is on the ground (I am often on the ground with him). He does have free reign outside in parts of the yard that are secured but when I am gone he is kenneled in solitary confinement .......LOL basically it sounds like a very nice prison resort and I am the warden :lol:
mrelite
Started
Started

Postby Urban_Redneck » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:20 am

My girl pretty much has run of the house although in 9 months she has never ventured down into the basement :lol:

Half the time she sleeps in her crate the other half she's on the couch or in my bed.
Urban_Redneck
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby cjm » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:39 am

Mine is allowed in the kitchen and basement but isn't allowed to cross the threshold into the living room (and therefore can't get to the the stairs up to the bedrooms). It is just a personal preference thing though - the living room furniture, the white rugs, and our bed stays clean. It is also nice because we don't have to think about leaving the baby or his toys in the living room. I don't think either way matters for the relationship with the dog.
cjm
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby jlw034 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:26 pm

Our old dog (a mutt), I swear to God, has a moral compass. The dog just doesn't do any wrong in the house. It's not like we correct her either...she never gives us a reason to. I've left a plate of human food on a low coffee table, and walked out of the house for several hours...she didn't even like the sides. That being said, she is a super soft dog that can barely take a stern NO. So she has run of the house, day and night, and has had those liberties since she was 6 months old. She sleeps in the bedroom, and gets let on the couch when the wife is gone :D

The pup (DD) is a different case. She is just plain naughty. She takes corrections well, but always finds some new way to be bad. We caught her chewing a pillow once, so we corrected her. Now every once in a while she'll just carry a pillow around in her mouth, but not chew it (testament to FF?). So, at just over 1 year old, she is never out of our sight. She is kenneled whenever we are gone.
jlw034
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Willie T » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:13 pm

The old dog has run of the down stairs whether anyone is home or not. She is trustworthy. Her favorite room is what my wife refers to as the "bubba room". It's the man cave and is full of taxidermied birds and animals, hunting gear, firearms, and reloading bench. The smells of feathers and gunpowder seem comforting to her. The young dog is 9 months now. He is given run of the downstairs but requires supervision. I did not see it in his pedigree but somewhere along the line there must have been an outcross with a termite. His favorite room is the kitchen for obvious reasons. They are allowed on the furniture but only when invited. No begging or bothering people while they eat. Bedrooms are upstairs and out of bounds for dogs.
Willie
Willie T
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:04 pm

two griffs, a PP, and three cats ... all have run of the house. The PP is just coming into heat this week (the only male is neutered).
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby aaronk » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:32 pm

The bedrooms are off limits to my griff but otherwise she can go anywhere in the house including on the couch, she sleeps in a crate and is crated when we're not home. She loves to put anything and everything in her mouth, and with a 3 year old and 5 month old their rooms are waaaaay too tempting for her. We've had plenty of tears shed because soft stuffed animals get crusty after she gets hold of them :lol: As for our room, well, if I could pick up my socks we'd be OK, socks are another weakness of hers.... If you let yours in the kitchen make sure your butter is well hidden, griffs seem to love butter!
aaronk
Started
Started

Postby oldtimer » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:03 pm

Oh, these stories are too funny. My DD has probably consumed 4-5 lbs. of butter in her lifetime. Had a male Brit that ate double that amount. I have never owned a hunting dog I did not air kennel when I was not home. Until they were geriatric anyway.
oldtimer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby JONOV » Mon May 01, 2017 8:54 am

oldtimer wrote:Oh, these stories are too funny. My DD has probably consumed 4-5 lbs. of butter in her lifetime. Had a male Brit that ate double that amount. I have never owned a hunting dog I did not air kennel when I was not home. Until they were geriatric anyway.

My parents had a golden retriever rescue that would counter surf the butter. He was very sneaky/stealthy about it. He would grab it and gently carry it back to his bed, and lick it clean. We were always finding the butter dish under his bed. We only caught him in the act twice. The first time we let it go because it was so funny. We stopped it the second time and started hiding the butter but didn't have it in us to shame him.
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby orhunter » Mon May 01, 2017 2:50 pm

Dogs can go anywhere they like, mine, yours, doesn't matter....except. STAY OFF THE KITCHEN COUNTERS!!!!

What's Allowed In Your Household? If you feed my dog anything without my permission, you are banned from the property and will get a good ass chewing as you leave.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mrelite » Mon May 01, 2017 4:56 pm

orhunter wrote:Dogs can go anywhere they like, mine, yours, doesn't matter....except. STAY OFF THE KITCHEN COUNTERS!!!!

What's Allowed In Your Household? If you feed my dog anything without my permission, you are banned from the property and will get a good ass chewing as you leave.

I am having that kitchen counter problem, my pup can take a look with lightning speed!!

+1 "don't feed my dog without my permission"
mrelite
Started
Started

Postby 3drahthaars » Mon May 01, 2017 8:28 pm

orhunter wrote:Dogs can go anywhere they like, mine, yours, doesn't matter....except. STAY OFF THE KITCHEN COUNTERS!!!!

I've posted this a number of times before, as my dog does/has surfed the kitchen counters. She also regularly cruises the house, particularly my youngest son's BR for food.

Before we got her I was resolute that kitchen counters would be off limits, but she's broken me down.

Yes, she has stolen. But, she has brought her "prize" either upstairs (from the kitchen) or downstairs (from our son's BR). Cheese, in its wrapper without a toothmark. Burritos, again in the wrappers without a toothmark.

No FF, but she seems to understand that whatever she finds must be brought to me... and, I'm not sure that any "training" could impose that upon a dog, especially one well out of the zone of influence.

Based upon that, she's pretty much earned her priviledges...

3ds
3drahthaars
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Mon May 01, 2017 8:32 pm

My dog "fetched" a couple of whole chickens one day to her pad and was preparing to eat them. The other dog did fetch a ten lb. pork roast (cooked) off the deck after eating a couple of lbs. She was really proud of what she'd found. She scratched at the door to be let in and when I opened the door, she picked up roast and brought it in the house. Couldn't get mad at her. Would have broken her heart.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Steve Anker » Tue May 02, 2017 7:46 am

My household...?

Well, first they are allowed inside....although not up on the furniture. (unless one wants to snuggle and or nap with me)
CRATES! a dire necessity inside the man cave for proper discipline.
Most will just ball up and sleep anywhere, usually right at my feet......(twisted many an ankle on 'em when I had to get up quick)
At night they all go into their assigned kennels, all within earshot of each other and me.
during the day it's romps outside or in the kennel yard.
Winter time I may spoil one at a time by allowing them up on the bed....for warmth.
Steve "HOSS" Anker
ANKER OUTFITTERS
A-TEAM Gun Dog Training
FEATHER TERROR KENNELS

"Time with my dogs clears my mind, renews my faith, and lets me see the world as it is. My only regret loving dogs as I do, is the misery of their early departure." Robert G. Wehle
Steve Anker
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby woodboro » Tue May 02, 2017 9:12 am

I have a some what difficult house , because pups have a tough time getting outside, cause I live in a carriage house.

Any case down to 2 dogs , one in crate and one gets access to liv rm, kitchen/din rm and bath room (water dish)
Bedroom is off limits.
They rotate.
At night they are in their crates, and when I am gone, or busy on the farms, or training , they are in their indoor/outdoor kennel runs.
I have 4 pro runs, and 2 extra runs..... clients (and if only one dog in training I try to have them upstairs as well)
woodboro
Master Poster
Master Poster

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion