What's allowed in your household?

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

What's allowed in your household?

Postby mastercaster » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:08 am

Do your dog(s) get the run of the household? So far I haven't let my 4 month old griff get up on any furniture/beds in the house and I only let her stay in the downstairs living area but not in the hallway where I keep all my shoes, gym gear, etc. I've heard is said that an owner may have a closer bond with his dog if he allows the dog to sit with him on the couch but I've also heard it said that if you do or let the dog sleep on the bed that the dog puts himself on equal footing with you. I don't know what to believe.

When I had my brittanies I didn't let them on the couches but it was mostly because they shed a lot of hair. The WPG don't,,,,,, so that's why I'm wondering about letting her sit up on the couch and what the pros and cons are if you do.

a) Are there certain rooms your dogs can't go in?
b) Can your dog sit on the couch or lay on your bed?
mastercaster
Seasoned
Seasoned

Re: What's allowed in your household?

Postby oldtimer » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:17 am

I allow my dogs on all furniture and in my bed. My dogs have NEVER thought they were above me, and my dogs' cooperation has increased because of it. Just my opinion. One thing I do not do is let my dogs loose in a vehicle. Dangerous for both you and the dog.

I get a lot of joy lounging with my buddies on a cold ND winter night. :D
oldtimer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Densa44 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:20 am

I'm the wrong one to ask. My dogs pretty much do what they want, no fighting (we have 4 pps) no barking and no chewing! That's about it. I walk/train them every day and am retired. The dogs have kept me alive so it has been a good arrangement all around.

The dogs don't care what you train them to do, suit yourself.
Pine Ridges Ginnieve NA 112 UT pz 1 200
Camridge's Sienna NA 112 UT pz 1 204
Foothill Joce NA 112
Czarina Vom Oberland VJP 70 NA pz 112
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:57 am

Personally, I think that a lot of the obsession about the dog not knowing his place and not allowing it here or there is stoked by people that can't handle the dog in the first place, or reinforced by trainers that are rehabbing dogs from owners that completely laid down at the dogs feet and didn't let the dog be a dog.

My dog is allowed on the couches and the bed. He doesn't spend much time on the bed as it's too hot...he prefers the bathtub or behind the toilet because it's cold.

Sometimes I vacillate about if I should have broke him off the couches, but that's strictly out of convenience to me and not a reflection on the psychology of our relationship.

I've met one professional gun dog trainer that won't let the dog in her bedroom period, but would let them on the couches. I've met another that lets them sleep on the bed with her.
JONOV
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby bhennessy » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:08 pm

The bathtub? That's funny...love it.

Our Griff has run of the house including beds and couches. As was mentioned, he tends to prefer the floor anyway because he gets hot I think. I guess our attitude is that he's part of the family first, and since he's an obedient, trainable goofy pup with a huge heart, why not? It helps too that he doesn't shed or get ripe. Our old lab was an oily girl who would get stinky again 8 minutes after a bath, so no furniture for her when she was alive.

We'll see how the new pup develops, but if he's like our 2 year old Griff he'll he get the run of the house too once he is house trained.
bhennessy
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:41 pm

I am a strict disciplinarian in the home and in the field. No special privileges.

I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby stubblejumper » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:34 pm

My dog sleeps in his crate every night, but he has run of the main floor at all times, and run of the basement when someone is thee. So far no damage to the house or furniture, and his original crate mat was just retired after over a year, it is worn but not chewed. We also have two small dogs which also have free run of the house, and they all get along. We are often away from home for a few hours, and the dogs are left with run of the house, and other than a few shredded papers, and a couple of broken Christmas decorations( ones with feathers) we haven't had any surprises.
stubblejumper
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Beech » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:07 pm

My dogs are allowed in the kitchen, dining and laundry room (all the tiled areas) only. The carpets and furniture are off limits even for the Griffon. And they dont complain too much either. Dogs lay wherever they want even where we have heavy foot traffic we will step over them even when we are busy cooking supper. I think they like that and feel they are part of the family that way
Beech
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Bigearl » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:30 pm

GONEHUNTIN' wrote:I am a strict disciplinarian in the home and in the field. No special privileges.

That pic really takes the cake!
Bigearl
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby 3drahthaars » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:42 pm

My dog's only restriction in the home is to do its business outside.

That said, she doesn't beg at the table at home or in pubs or restaurants, she simply lies down next to my feet under the table.

Sometimes while we're eating a meal she simply lies down in the adjacent living room and waits for us to finish.

She can sleep on the bed, but she generally sleeps on the floor, in her crate or on a dog bed.

She has one chair, my wife's grandmother's that she will occasionally lie in during the winter months.

I think that if you consider temperament in breeding you see that it is possible to produce dogs that simply fall into place in the home without all of the alpha rolling and physical impositions of dominance that most claim necessary to maintain the pecking order.

3ds
3drahthaars
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:37 pm

3drahthaars wrote:
I think that if you consider temperament in breeding you see that it is possible to produce dogs that simply fall into place in the home without all of the alpha rolling and physical impositions of dominance that most claim necessary to maintain the pecking order.

3ds

Almost without exception, the people that have problems disciplining their dog's in the house, have problems with their children in the home as well. So people are disciplinarians, some are not.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Tom in WI » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:15 pm

The dog has access to the whole house but is not allowed on the beds or furniture. I will sit on the floor with the dog for a little scratch and cuddle.
Tom in WI
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby 3drahthaars » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:18 pm

GONEHUNTIN' wrote:
3drahthaars wrote:

3ds

Almost without exception, the people that have problems disciplining their dog's in the house, have problems with their children in the home as well. So people are disciplinarians, some are not.

Just because two dogs are fertile... doesn't mean that they should breed...

The same goes for humans...

Some people are not cut out to be parents. Some not cut out to own a dog.

And, quite a few shouldn't have either!

3ds
3drahthaars
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:30 pm

3drahthaars wrote:
GONEHUNTIN' wrote:
3drahthaars wrote:

3ds

Just because two dogs are fertile... doesn't mean that they should breed...

The same goes for humans...

Some people are not cut out to be parents. Some not cut out to own a dog.

And, quite a few shouldn't have either!

3ds

+1
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Constructeur » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:40 am

My guy has free run of the entire house if he doesn't come to work with me.
I don't like my dog on the couch because it's a nice new leather unit and was rather spendy.
He's not allowed in the downstairs bathroom as there is cat food in there and it gives him the trots when he wolfs a bowl down.
If we are hunting or training he is crated, otherwise he rolls shotgun style with me to the office or on jobsite visits.
I tried the lots of rules thing...having a daughter at home let me know that I am really not in charge at all (haha) so hey, it's her dog too, he still hunts hard so no sweat off my back if she shares a pizza crust or whatever. I don't think there's anything she hasn't tried to share with her buddy yet.

...which might answer why he is the reigning and undisputed silent but deadly fart champ the last 3 years running 8)
Last edited by Constructeur on Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Constructeur
Master Poster
Master Poster

Next

Return to General Discussion