Top notch DK breeders

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Top notch DK breeders

Postby oldtimer » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:23 pm

Just curious if anyone knows some of the best/most respected DK breeders. I have owned many GSPs, just never a DK.
oldtimer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Top notch DK breeders

Postby oldtimer » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:46 pm

Any DK owners at all?
oldtimer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby JONOV » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:41 pm

Maybe you would get better info if you were more specific about what you were looking for.

Best from the perspective of performance in the JGHV?

Best in terms of performance in JGHV and NAVHDA?

Best in terms of reputation for producing strong hunting dogs that do well with the family?
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby oldtimer » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:11 pm

Medium range. Very biddable. No quit. Lots of point, natural backer. Tremendous water search and " cripple finder". Basically, a DD with short hair.
oldtimer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby JONOV » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:46 pm

Why not just buy a slick dd...
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby oldtimer » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:52 am

I have one. Not always easy to find. I may be hunting warmer places in the future.
oldtimer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:17 pm

The DKs I have been around were large, dark colored dogs with thick undercoats. Slick DDs most often have similar size, coloration and thick undercoats. None of which predict they would handle heat well. And then there is the issue of where you live. My pup ran daily in the mornings and evenings through the summer and so was able to handle mid 70s with good breeze for a few hours in the morning, the first couple of days we hunted in ND in early Oct, (then the weather dropped to mid 30s and high winds and he could hunt all day.)

But when we travelled to KS at the end of Jan and then to TX at the end of Feb, he had a wonderful thick undercoat from living in an outdoor kennel at night in temps commonly between 10 and 20 F. Got a couple of hours in the morning and another couple in the evenings carrying lots of water and getting into every tank we came across. But the superiority of the white thin coated EPs at handling the mid-day heat while my pup was staked out in the shade was abundantly evident.

There is No Free Lunch. Dogs with good thick undercoats to handle cold water retrieving duties cannot handle heat as well as some strains of GSPs and EPs whose smaller slighter built conformation, white coloration and thin coats are all better adapted for heat. Probably easier to put a vest on a thin coated dog for occasional colder waterfowling duties than to get a thick undercoated dog to handle heat, particularly when they go from a cold climate to heat over the course of a short duration traveling hunting trip.

Expect you know all this already however.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby oldtimer » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:52 am

I have owned many EPs. Just never found any that were as versatile when it came to waterfowling (duck search) or hunting dead for pheasants. If I could find one, I would own one.
oldtimer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:22 pm

oldtimer wrote:I have owned many EPs. Just never found any that were as versatile when it came to waterfowling (duck search) or hunting dead for pheasants. If I could find one, I would own one.

No doubt most EPs are poor candidates for water fowling duties, but they can be developed/trained to be pretty darned good at recovering upland birds. I owned one and hunted with several this season that were good at recovering downed birds. I shot a triple on Bobwhites this past season, and a very capable EP recovered them all, one after the other. Not as good as the Vdog breeds noted for tracking, but far better than the stereotype suggests. Most EPs that do not hunt dead is because they were never developed to do so. If they are developed from little puppies, in the similar ways we develop our Vdogs, most EPs will do a respectable job of it.

It is very feasible to get a GSP that is capable of casual water fowling duties, hunts dead well, while also having the conformation, coloration and thinner coat to handle heat better than many other breeds, including the DKs I have been around.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Steve Anker » Mon May 01, 2017 6:58 am

Being a EP purist here....I won't go and start touting the EP as the ultimate dog.............. (not as of this writing) Butt, I have found that a well bred DK is truly the pinnacle of VDogs. Cool collected temperments , intelligent, willing to please, out shining every other breed out there, this is what you'll find when you delve into good DK Bloodlines. Although it must be tried and true bloodlines, not easy to find. But, when you get it all correct, when you have done the homework, you will be happy with what you learn and find in your quest.

A buddy of mine has a gaggle of DK's, one is as nice as the next, all winners. Some are VC's (most) and they are the easiest dogs to train I have ever run across, learning with only minor difficulties. The products of a careful selective BREEDING program. Even my buddy can't wear out these dogs as hard as he tries, guiding all season on three Preserves as well as wild bird hunts up in the Great North Woods.

Keep looking for a good DK.....they are out there!
Steve "HOSS" Anker
ANKER OUTFITTERS
A-TEAM Gun Dog Training
FEATHER TERROR KENNELS

"Time with my dogs clears my mind, renews my faith, and lets me see the world as it is. My only regret loving dogs as I do, is the misery of their early departure." Robert G. Wehle
Steve Anker
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Mon May 01, 2017 7:33 am

Steve Anker wrote:Being a EP purist here....I won't go and start touting the EP as the ultimate dog.............. (not as of this writing) Butt, I have found that a well bred DK is truly the pinnacle of VDogs. Cool collected temperments , intelligent, willing to please, out shining every other breed out there, this is what you'll find when you delve into good DK Bloodlines. Although it must be tried and true bloodlines, not easy to find. But, when you get it all correct, when you have done the homework, you will be happy with what you learn and find in your quest.

A buddy of mine has a gaggle of DK's, one is as nice as the next, all winners. Some are VC's (most) and they are the easiest dogs to train I have ever run across, learning with only minor difficulties. The products of a careful selective BREEDING program. Even my buddy can't wear out these dogs as hard as he tries, guiding all season on three Preserves as well as wild bird hunts up in the Great North Woods.

Keep looking for a good DK.....they are out there!

I believe it.

What I question is DKs are the best candidate for handling hot temperatures which was the key criteria from the OP or by his own words he would get another DD. Could well vary by the stain I suppose, but the DKs I have been around would provide only a marginal improvement if any over a DD in handling heat because they were similar in conformation, coloration and undercoat. Guard hairs/outer coats and furnishings are the primary difference in the DKs vs DDs I have seen and that plays a much lesser role in retaining heat than the undercoat does. Perhaps there are thin skinned/haired DKs around as well. If a guy is serious about getting a dog to handle heat that had better be high on their radar.
Last edited by AverageGuy on Mon May 01, 2017 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Steve Anker » Mon May 01, 2017 7:49 am

Shave down a GSP.....?

Or a good DK........?

:D
Steve "HOSS" Anker
ANKER OUTFITTERS
A-TEAM Gun Dog Training
FEATHER TERROR KENNELS

"Time with my dogs clears my mind, renews my faith, and lets me see the world as it is. My only regret loving dogs as I do, is the misery of their early departure." Robert G. Wehle
Steve Anker
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Dkmatt » Mon May 01, 2017 10:27 pm

There are plenty of Dk's out there with thinner coats and handle heat extremely well. I have one with a thinner coat which performs wonderfully on the hot south texas days down here and another with a thicker undercoat that tends to handle the colder water a little better. This is not to dismiss how far good conditioning and climatization goes though. Just my two cents but you should have no problem finding a great DK desert dog
Dkmatt
Pup
Pup

Postby TobyTx » Tue May 02, 2017 10:15 pm

That's good to hear dkmatt, I have just about given up on dk for South Texas quail hunting but am glad there's hope.
Cabo vom Sendero vjp 69 hzp np
TobyTx
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby TobyTx » Wed May 03, 2017 9:08 am

Still no one has given the names of breeders.
Cabo vom Sendero vjp 69 hzp np
TobyTx
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Next

Return to General Discussion