Just what feelings do you have for your dog?

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Just what feelings do you have for your dog?

Postby 3drahthaars » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:31 pm

I just saw a gut wrenching FB post about a guy and the last bird his 17yo setter pointed, and it made me think.

In my 25+ years with DDs, I've encountered several individuals who "retire" their hunting dogs (maybe better described as breed stock and/or ego fodder) with a "last hunt" and proceed to end their age, suffering, etc. with a load of shot. I cannot even begin to describe their explanations or logic.

Personally, I LOVE my dog. When I say it in passing I truly mean it. She's been a joy, because of my 4 DDs, she's required the least formal training, due no doubt to the lack of "holes" in her natural ability (SOLID pointing, retrieving, track and desire). She's not high maintenance because a lesson learned is not forgotten over the off season, and that's made life easier. I don't cringe when other dogs are around (even ankle biters). I savor every minute with her, because I know her life (like my others) will be too short, and because I truly enjoy every minute with her at work, at home, in the field and swamps.

I'm really not sure how to describe it other than my wife's claim that the dog "adores" me, and I feel likewise.

So, how close are you all to your hunting dogs? Are you "bonded" and make each others' lives complete?

3ds
3drahthaars
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Just what feelings do you have for your dog?

Postby AverageGuy » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:44 pm

If we were FB friends you would not have to ask :).
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:33 pm

I truly loved my first Griff. She bonded with me and me with her. Her passing was very painful, still is almost four years later. My current dog is odd for a Griff, not nearly as close to her. I tried to get her to come around but it hasn't worked. She was born to hunt and not much else. To give her affection, I have to go to her, she rarely comes to me and if she does, it doesn't last long. Odd dog. I'll miss her for sure but not like my Cassie.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Beech » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:51 pm

I cant say I love my dog(s). When I was a kid I loved my dogs. As an adult I admire and respect them and I supppose I do love them to a point. But pets have aplace in the pecking order of priotities. Children and spouses first then the well being of family and neighbors (even if we dont like them). Dogs are ahead of cats which are ahead of my kids frogs and crayfish. And like all other animals our pets are disposable and replaceable. People are never disposable even the ones we dont like.
Beech
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby oldtimer » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:45 pm

To be honest I value my dogs just below my family. I value them more than 90% of the people I know. Loyal with unconditional love. The human race has FAR overrated its own importance. If I knew someone had intentionally hurt my dog, I would not fear jail time for what I would do to them.
Years and years ago a man I was hunting with was beating his dog. I took the dog away from him. He acted tough, until I split his skull with my gun butt. I got into some trouble for it, luckily my family had tremendous influence with the local Sheriff and prosecutor. Very lucky that I did not receive a felony. That being said, I would do it again.
Last edited by oldtimer on Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
oldtimer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby oldtimer » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:46 pm

oldtimer wrote:To be honest I value my dogs just below my family. I value them more than 90% of the people I know. Loyal with unconditional love. The human race has FAR overrated its own importance. If I knew someone had intentionally hurt my dog, I would not fear jail time for what I would do to them.
Years and years ago a man I was hunting with was beating his dog. I took the dog away from him. He acted tough, until I split his skull with my gun butt. I got into some trouble for it, luckily my family had trmendous influence with the local Sheriff and prosecutor. Very lucky that I did not receive a felony. That being said, I would do it again.
oldtimer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby woodboro » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:47 pm

Just what is affection -
(my little story)

I had a doctor client bring in a GWP.... it was not the most desirable looking dog , but it was a client.
He was in for force breaking to retrieve , bird work.
12 weeks the dog was steady to scent / point steady to flush as well as kill.
Dog had close to 400 retrieves , and had casting work down pat.
While dog was on the table force breaking to retrieve dog was some what evasive , and every session I always
congratulate the dog. Putting two and two together , I realized this outside kennel run / shed dog had little to no
interaction with his owner. ... (doctor was busy , busy busy) ie- guy shoulder never own a dog.
I held the dog , hug and kissed him , and he looked at me like I was weird...
Weird as in I have never received affection.
Every session , I continued this therapy and soon not only a break through after break through ... I was more than willing to buy the dog.
I struggled with this - Because I knew where he was headed back too... JAIL.
I did my job , and as you can imagine owner never came out to see his dog.
I showed him where dog was advised him what he needed to do , before hunting
First hunting day - I get a call with a doctor not acting professional at all , so I advised him to bring dog out.
Had him casting , pointing and retrieving , and owner said he doesn't do that for me...
I gave him professional advise , and told him the dog is not a machine , but a living thing that needs affection.

One or more of my dogs may have issues , but every morning they get their eyes cleaned , a kiss , hug , told to shake and off we go for a barn yard
run. They would die for me , and I typically wait way to long to put them down.
I always have the dogs , put to sleep first , then the injection .
My last words , "I hope to be standing by you when I get there....."
woodboro
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby 3drahthaars » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:57 pm

Woodboro,

We're on the same page... they are not just tools, eh?

My dog gets kisses every day, and she knows we're partners.

3ds
3drahthaars
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby HUNT 24/7 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:24 pm

I love my boy with every ounce of my being, he is my best friend & partner in crime, my family's life is planned around him, where he can go, what we can do that includes him. The best part of hunting is watching him work & the team we have become together. He's loved, respected, but also knows his place in the pack, I've given him the life & training he deserves, I couldn't be happier with him & I think he feels the same!
HUNT 24/7
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby oldtimer » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:39 pm

Woodboro, feel exactly the same way.
oldtimer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby randomnut » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:49 pm

A few short years ago I'd call a man a fool for "loving" a dog.

I guess I'm a fool now. I give 100%, all the time, no matter what I'm doing (except dog training). I watch my dogs give 100%, for me, every day, no matter.

I try to give 100% back.
randomnut
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby JTracyII » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:49 am

At the risk of being judged I must admit that I guess I am different than some of you. I look at my hunting dogs as tools first and family members second. Once they have proven themselves some in the field only then they become family. If they do not measure up in the field I would be willing to sale them. In fact, I have made that clear with my family for my next pup, which I will pick up in 2 wks. Don't get me wrong, I love my dogs and they are treated well. But, I also remind myself of the reason I bought them in the first place. As the old saying goes, "It cost the same to feed a good dog as a bad dog." If that is not where others stand and they are willing to live with what they get that is fine, and if they are happy, I am happy. I have given away a young hunting dog due to a health problem that would have limited him in the field and I pretty sad about it, but I'm willing to do it if I have too. I don't regret that decision today. I now have a great hunting dog to share memories with family and friends, which I now have several.
JTracyII
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Steve Anker » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:56 pm

As I've said many times before, my dogs are a very important part of my very existence here on this mortal coil. Their every days fill MY every days with smiles as well as a sense of accomplishment and reward for all OUR work together. Kind of tough to get such a feeling from humans, unless you are a Coach or Tutor.
There is nothing in the world, MY WORLD, as being saddled up, in a brace, Field Trialing an adult finished dog, watching them do their thing. Ripping around a huge course in an intelligent search, handling like a charm, steady to point and flush, all working like it should. Mannnnnnn, that's what I call feeling good with your dog. As my nephew would say....."Representin'...."

Oh, yeah .....and nice dog snuggles up on the couch after dinner too.....
Last edited by Steve Anker on Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve "HOSS" Anker
ANKER OUTFITTERS
A-TEAM Gun Dog Training
FEATHER TERROR KENNELS

"Time with my dogs clears my mind, renews my faith, and lets me see the world as it is. My only regret loving dogs as I do, is the misery of their early departure." Robert G. Wehle
Steve Anker
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Bigearl » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:37 pm

JTracyII wrote:At the risk of being judged I must admit that I guess I am different than some of you. I look at my hunting dogs as tools first and family members second. Once they have proven themselves some in the field only then they become family. If they do not measure up in the field I would be willing to sale them. In fact, I have made that clear with my family for my next pup, which I will pick up in 2 wks. Don't get me wrong, I love my dogs and they are treated well. But, I also remind myself of the reason I bought them in the first place. As the old saying goes, "It cost the same to feed a good dog as a bad dog." If that is not where others stand and they are willing to live with what they get that is fine, and if they are happy, I am happy. I have given away a young hunting dog due to a health problem that would have limited him in the field and I pretty sad about it, but I'm willing to do it if I have too. I don't regret that decision today. I now have a great hunting dog to share memories with family and friends, which I now have several.

well said.
Heck if I had kept every coon hound I had over the years that couldn't cut it, I would be dog poor!
Bigearl
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Urban_Redneck » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:11 am

It's very near embarrassing how much affection I have for my dog.
Urban_Redneck
Seasoned
Seasoned

Next

Return to General Discussion