Thoughts on picking up pup

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Thoughts on picking up pup

Postby Steve Anker » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:22 am

9 weeks for me......that's what we've always held it to, the snatching up of pups by their respective owners. It has always worked for me. Not too early and not too late to cause issues. Oh yeah, like it's been said.....make sure you got owners BEFORE the litter hits the ground. Makes life a whole lot easier and less stressful for you and your helpers.

We once had a litter of pups from the number one AKC dog crossed with the number one Am Field Dog, the litter was SOLD OUT right after the two connected... :D Yes, less stressful for sure.
Steve "HOSS" Anker
ANKER OUTFITTERS
A-TEAM Gun Dog Training
FEATHER TERROR KENNELS

"Time with my dogs clears my mind, renews my faith, and lets me see the world as it is. My only regret loving dogs as I do, is the misery of their early departure." Robert G. Wehle
Steve Anker
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:54 am

Good point Hoss. I folks aren't lining up to get the pups, ya probably shouldn't breed. I think litter timing is important here also. Owners are less likely to go for a fall litter as opposed to spring.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby STait » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:57 pm

orhunter wrote:Good point Hoss. I folks aren't lining up to get the pups, ya probably shouldn't breed. I think litter timing is important here also. Owners are less likely to go for a fall litter as opposed to spring.

Very true, everyone, including me likes a pup born early in the year, or end of year, so they'll be ready for some serious bird work in the fall. Worst time to have pups, but best time to sell. IMO
STait
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby orhunter » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:19 pm

STait.... Fall pups have to wait too long for their first hunting season. My personal feeling is 9 months is almost too old which is what my last dog was. Suppose if I had a preference, it'd be around seven months to begin serious hunting. I don't think four months is too young. In lots of cases, you have to take what you think is the best pup when it's ready because if you don't, you won't get it.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby STait » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:49 pm

orhunter wrote:STait.... Fall pups have to wait too long for their first hunting season. My personal feeling is 9 months is almost too old which is what my last dog was. Suppose if I had a preference, it'd be around seven months to begin serious hunting. I don't think four months is too young. In lots of cases, you have to take what you think is the best pup when it's ready because if you don't, you won't get it.

Yeah, I think ideally 7-9 months old is perfect to start hunting. At 4-6 months I'm running them on birds, but getting them used to the gun. I tend to be on the cautious side, but that's just me.

Steve
STait
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby orhunter » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:39 pm

Waiting has risk. They can develop phobias/quirks as they get older if they're a bit unstable to begin with. When they're tiny, they aren't afraid of anything, or shouldn't be. A dog of mine that develops one of these quirks is going back to the breeder. We don't need to accept defects in manufacturing. The earlier we discover a problem, the easier it is to deal with. Ya ought to see how much gunfire KJ's pups get from the day they're born. At 5 weeks, you could probably fire most anything right over the top of them and they'd sleep right through it....ZZZzzzzzzzzzzz. They're a solid as any pups on the planet because they haven't been coddled.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby STait » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:14 am

orhunter wrote: They're a solid as any pups on the planet because they haven't been coddled.

So they're "coddled" if they haven't been shot over by 5 weeks old??? Does he use a 12 gauge at 5 weeks or does he wait til 7 weeks?? :lol:
STait
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby JONOV » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:21 am

orhunter wrote:STait.... Fall pups have to wait too long for their first hunting season. My personal feeling is 9 months is almost too old which is what my last dog was. Suppose if I had a preference, it'd be around seven months to begin serious hunting. I don't think four months is too young. In lots of cases, you have to take what you think is the best pup when it's ready because if you don't, you won't get it.

Yeah...Especially for Pudelpointers, etc...

If you want a nice GSP or Pointer or Lab, it seems like they're popular enough that you should find what you're looking for in relatively short order, assuming you aren't looking for a dog out of a National Champion of one sort or another.
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby JONOV » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:21 am

Duplicate
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby orhunter » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:44 am

Stait: Coddling means waiting because you think it might ruin the pup if done too soon. Has nothing to do with five weeks but there's nothing accomplished by waiting longer.

I was at KJ's one weekend last summer and he had a fresh batch of 4/5 week youngsters. Weather was nice so the pups had the run of the back yard. We had some rifles to shoot and KJ has a nice range behind the house. We put maybe 100 rounds through the various rifles while the pups ignored us.....ZZZzzzzzzzzz on the lawn. No, we didn't shoot over the top of them but probably could have nearby....with a little discretion. I don't think there's a breeder anywhere that puts more into providing a well balanced pup than KJ. They've seen it all by 8 weeks and are well on their way to becoming solid adults. Average Guy's dog was one of the pups we ruined by gunfire at too young of age.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:46 am

STait wrote:
orhunter wrote: They're a solid as any pups on the planet because they haven't been coddled.

So they're "coddled" if they haven't been shot over by 5 weeks old??? Does he use a 12 gauge at 5 weeks or does he wait til 7 weeks?? :lol:

I was shooting over my pups at 5 weeks. It's a good age to make/break them. Can absolutely ruin them if you are stupid, but a good breeder should know how to do it right.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby STait » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:31 pm

Okay, I'll bite, I'm always willing to learn. What is the best way to gun break a 4-5 week old puppy?? If it sounds reasonable I'll try it on my next litter. I bang food pans and such during feeding time, but no guns at that age. I also live in a somewhat residential area so I can't fire big guns around the house. An occasional blank gun yes, but no canons;-)
STait
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby orhunter » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:34 pm

STait: That's one of the problems many breeders face, where they live. Your pan banging and whatever else you can dream up is great. Make sure whatever noise you expose the pups to has some sort of reward. Food, bird, doesn't matter. Be creative. Always move the pups toward the sound for the reward.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Smilin Jack » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:08 pm

I started Duchess with Guns at 9 wks . At my Skeet range . Parked about 75yds. away and moved closer each day [ I shoot 3 times a week ] at 12 she was right there with us . By the way does anyone know if lead is sweet tasting . Duchess loves chewing on wads ???
If You Can't be a Good Example then You will just have to Serve as a Horrible Warning
Smilin Jack
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:29 pm

STait wrote:Okay, I'll bite, I'm always willing to learn. What is the best way to gun break a 4-5 week old puppy?? If it sounds reasonable I'll try it on my next litter. I bang food pans and such during feeding time, but no guns at that age. I also live in a somewhat residential area so I can't fire big guns around the house. An occasional blank gun yes, but no canons;-)

I let them run the timber with mom. When all were 50 yds away with mom, I'd fire a .22 blank. They all got to watch mom get excited about the gunfire. Shot 3 times when appropriate, took a half hour to get everyone in position on their own volition for three shots. Repeated at 6 weeks. I didn't do anything more, want them chasing birds for the next stages.

Exposed to gunfire is all I do, certainly not fully desensitized. Weather this does anything much at all I don't know, they certainly didn't seem to care.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion