Thoughts on picking up pup

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Thoughts on picking up pup

Postby STait » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:57 pm

Okay, I got it. I was thinking there might not be enough concern for the pups hearing haha. My pups get somewhat desensitized to loud noises simply because there are random loud noises throughout the day. Including lawnmowers, outside projects with hammers and saws, etc. I like the idea of encouraging the pups to move towards the loud noises.
STait
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby orhunter » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:30 am

A general assumption: We're all experienced dog people. There should be a general assumption among us that when we talk about gunfire exposure, we're all on the same page as to the proper way to do it so we don't have to explain every time the subject comes up.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:41 am

orhunter wrote:A general assumption: We're all experienced dog people. There should be a general assumption among us that when we talk about gunfire exposure, we're all on the same page as to the proper way to do it so we don't have to explain every time the subject comes up.

You aren't on Facebook are you?? Taking your puppy to the gun range is all the rage these days!
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:08 am

MissK. I'm not an, in your face book, participant. Your example is a good reason. Please pass the Prozac and the bong. I wouldn't sleep at night.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:37 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:
orhunter wrote:A general assumption: We're all experienced dog people. There should be a general assumption among us that when we talk about gunfire exposure, we're all on the same page as to the proper way to do it so we don't have to explain every time the subject comes up.

You aren't on Facebook are you?? Taking your puppy to the gun range is all the rage these days!

I cringe like a gun shy dog, each time I read a post advocating that approach. There are posts in this thread to that effect, and a guy recently posted his plan to take his puppy to the skeet range on Pheasant Junkies. Person after person pleaded with him to not do so as he argued with them, after claiming to be seeking advice in his OP. I felt very sorry for his puppy.

Spud and I attended a 4 day Clinic at Perfection Kennel a couple of weeks ago. There were 3 young dogs there with gun sensitivity due to their owners using the gun range approach to gunfire introduction. Jon was able to cure them using a bunch of released pigeons and quail letting the dogs chase and even catch a few to bring them out of it and properly teach a positive association between gunfire and birds. A dog should have something really exciting going on when gunfire is first introduced and then at a considerable distance using a low volume blank pistol initially ... Taking them to a gun range is the worst approach possible. Yea some survive it but the use of released birds and chasing is the far better method ... I post only on behalf of the puppies and much more experienced trainers than I are where I learned the approach.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby daeion » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:16 pm

I'm only on my first dog so take what I say with a grain of salt. We picked up our puppy at 10 weeks, didn't introduce birds and guns until 5.5 months of age, and we haven't had any issues so I'm curious as to what issues people are referencing from picking up a puppy later on. From the research I've done and the conversations I've had with breeders and trainers I agree with the sentiment of not taking the dog to the range to introduce gunfire, everything has pointed to making sure the dog is positiveness associating gunfire with something. I've had a few trainers tell me 95% of gun shyness is man made because the gun wasn't introduced correctly, that there wasn't a positive association made while introducing the gun.
daeion
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby orhunter » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:04 pm

AverageGuy's pup associated gunfire with sleeping.

One way I like to do it is have someone off in the distance, like 60 yards or so, standing near to a planted bird. If the bird is alive, it should be made incapable of flying. Duct tape works great. Helper fires a shot, handler immediately gets the pup excited and together they run toward the sound and pup finds the prize. Don't want the shooter so far away the dog doesn't react. The ideal reaction is the pup's head comes up and it looks around for the, what was that!!! Any timid behavior is a clear sign of an unstable pup.

Some stuff I discourage folks from using for the initial exposure are starter pistols or any full house shotgun loads. Probably the best, is a shotgun shell with just the primer. Don't need a fancy loader to make a few of these. Ordinary hand tools will do the job. Can graduate to using a little powder and a wad with some rice or whatever (be creative) and then on to factory stuff. A good powder for your poppers is Bullseye or something with a similar burning rate. Start with a very small amount, like 10 grains or so till you get the right pop. Smaller the gauge, the less you can use. A good pup will graduate to regular loads very quickly.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby gwp4me2 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:06 pm

It's not gunfire but sharp noise. I still maintain that that it can be accomplished with 2 short boards in your hands. You can create any level of noise you want and can do it in your living room if you want. Feeding time, play time, while retrieving or chasing or any random time. a couple 2x4's in the garage can create quite a noise. By the time my pups make it to the field noise is a good thing already and that might be at 9 or 10 weeks. That being said I think it is less about the timing than the method. If I ever have to have a dog at the range I park the truck fairly far away even for older dogs. No need to make them put up with endless shooting even if it is just for the sake of their hearing.
gwp4me2
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Willie T » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:05 am

I picked my PP up at 7 weeks with absolutely no ill effects. A lot depends on what you do when you get them home.
Willie
Willie T
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Previous

Return to General Discussion