Introducing - Aiken - Surgery Story

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Introducing - Aiken - Surgery Story

Postby TarHeel » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:31 pm

This post has been a long time coming and sorry for the delay. Aiken is now 18 weeks old and this first picture was taken around 11 weeks old. He is my first DD and my first versatile hunting dog. He is already a huge part of our family and has really spoiled us. Slept through the night immediately and loves his Kennel. He is house broken and we have a great start on obedience training. Here is where things get interesting and scary. About 3 weeks ago without us knowing Aiken ate a sweatgum ball that somehow had a piece of nylon string attached to it. He woke me up early one morning throwing up. For the next 4 days he fooled us and two different vets as he would eat a little and he was still pooping. Nothing showed on X-rays besides gas and a piece of pea gravel ha. 5 days in, he stopped eating and pooping and got a small fever. To our shock, we were headed for surgery and it actually turned out to much worse once the doctor got started. The nylon string was the real issue and damaged a portion of his small intestine. Due to a major risk of infection he was taken to an ICU area for 48 hrs. The ER doctor told me he had a 50-60 percent chance of making it. Long story short, he exceeded all they're expectations and was home doing well in just over 48 hrs. He is doing amazing and is eating like a horse. He got his stitches out a few days ago and he is cleared to train etc. Sorry for the length of this intro but thought I needed to share. More pictures to come and thanks for letting me share. The Vets are still amazed at how resilient he was as these results are far from normal.
Attachments
5A91B971-B819-4727-91EE-9173012D32BC.JPG
TarHeel
Started
Started

Re: Introducing - Aiken - Surgery Story

Postby randomnut » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:49 pm

Great news! Pretty rough when you get attached so quick, then have to worry about losing a friend.
randomnut
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:59 pm

String foreign bodies are the worst!! I've been fooled enough times I discuss it as a possibility for every vomiting painful dog these days.

Glad to hear your pup is on the mend and out of the woods!! He's a real cutie!
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby TarHeel » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:04 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:String foreign bodies are the worst!! I've been fooled enough times I discuss it as a possibility for every vomiting painful dog these days.

Glad to hear your pup is on the mend and out of the woods!! He's a real cutie!

That's what I have learned through this and they said 12 more hours and there would have been nothing they could have done. We now freak every time he puts something in his mouth but we are going to have to let that go. Thanks and I will post updated pictures soon.
TarHeel
Started
Started

Postby marysburg » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:18 pm

Great looking pup, and he must be one tough dude who has a fierce determination to live. Glad it worked out this way, and wish you all the best. Great fun coming up for you and your pup this summer.
marysburg
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Return to General Discussion