Garmin Upland Beeper

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Garmin Upland Beeper

Postby AverageGuy » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:01 am

I am considering getting a Garmin Upland Beeper compatible with the TT 550 I am training with. I read 6 reviews on Cabelas last night and they were all horrible, saying the beeper malfunctioned after a brief time.

So I was wondering if anyone here had experience with the current model Garmin Upland Beeper that is compatible with the TT 550?

I have lots of mostly good experience with the prior TT Beepers but that is not pertinent to the current Garmin model, so let's not mix that in here, please. Appreciate hearing your experience with the Garmin if you have any.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Garmin Upland Beeper

Postby jlw034 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:38 am

Are you talking about this beeper?

Screenshot_20170329-093726-720x1280.png

I bought one last spring. Used it for one training season, then upgraded to an Astro.

From my experience it works fine, as long as it stays perfectly vertical on top of the dogs neck.

I felt that to be impractical, hence my upgrade. It did work just fine with my Pro550.

If you decide to buy one, I'd sell you mine. Very lightly used.
jlw034
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:57 pm

Yes that is the one I am inquiring about.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby watermen » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:59 pm

I've got one as well, I bought it last summer, I can't recommend it, quit using it after about 3 tries.
watermen
Started
Started

Postby watermen » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:03 pm

I would like recommendation for a good point only beeper. Just not an astro fan, I use it but would prefer just a beeper.
watermen
Started
Started

Postby stubblejumper » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:17 pm

Not a stand alone beeper, but the beeper on my Dogtra 2500 has over 150 hours of use including water snow and -20 temperatures , with no issues.
stubblejumper
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:55 am

watermen wrote:I've got one as well, I bought it last summer, I can't recommend it, quit using it after about 3 tries.

Why did you quit using it?
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:57 am

jlw034 wrote:From my experience it works fine, as long as it stays perfectly vertical on top of the dogs neck.

That is a significant drawback.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby jlw034 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:21 am

AverageGuy wrote:
jlw034 wrote:From my experience it works fine, as long as it stays perfectly vertical on top of the dogs neck.

That is a significant drawback.

It is for sure. I ran it on the same collar as the ecollar, and since that acted as a counterweight I was able to do a hillbilly fix by taping the beeper in place on the exact opposite side of the ecollar.

That helped, but not 100%. And it also meant that whenever the dog wears the ecollar, she wore the beeper.
jlw034
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GRIFF MAN » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:33 am

I have used the TT beeper since the first year it came out and have bought several since. I use them on 6 dogs and I hunt probably 40+ days in the grouse woods . I can say I have had only one fail in the hundreds of times I have used them. When they get really old they get worn out and you have to replace them. I use them counterbalanced with a ecollar and have had no problems with them being to far off the top to not work. I find them very reliable and good for my kind of hunting.
I like the multiple sounds so I can tell which dog is on point. I don't use the track mode, point only and find a battery ( which is expensive) lasts all season long.

Best part is I can turn on/off and locate from my transmitter.

Hope it helps.

Griffman
GRIFF MAN * LOVING LIFE AND MY GRIFF!

Aspen Glo's Kennels
Wirehaired Pointing Griffons
www.aspenglokennel.com
GRIFF MAN
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:02 am

GRIFF MAN wrote:I have used the TT beeper since the first year it came out and have bought several since. I use them on 6 dogs and I hunt probably 40+ days in the grouse woods . I can say I have had only one fail in the hundreds of times I have used them. When they get really old they get worn out and you have to replace them. I use them counterbalanced with a ecollar and have had no problems with them being to far off the top to not work. I find them very reliable and good for my kind of hunting.
I like the multiple sounds so I can tell which dog is on point. I don't use the track mode, point only and find a battery ( which is expensive) lasts all season long.

Best part is I can turn on/off and locate from my transmitter.

Hope it helps.

Griffman

Griffman,

Are you using the model shown in the photo above?

I have two TT beepers which I used for 12 years with TT 500 (which is out of commission now) and they worked pretty well. But they are not compatible with my TT 550 and the new beeper model is made by Garmin. The reviews have indicated the Garmin Beeper fails early and often, but I was wondering if anyone on this board had experience with them.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GRIFF MAN » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:55 am

Yes, I use the new model. I had 7 of the old models and had more issues with those than the new models. The old ones would work one day and not the next...

Nothing is perfect or lasts for ever, but I do like the new model better.

Griff
GRIFF MAN * LOVING LIFE AND MY GRIFF!

Aspen Glo's Kennels
Wirehaired Pointing Griffons
www.aspenglokennel.com
GRIFF MAN
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Steve Anker » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:17 am

Yo GRIFF

Must be the interference from all that FUZZ.......
Steve "HOSS" Anker
ANKER OUTFITTERS
A-TEAM Gun Dog Training
FEATHER TERROR KENNELS

"Time with my dogs clears my mind, renews my faith, and lets me see the world as it is. My only regret loving dogs as I do, is the misery of their early departure." Robert G. Wehle
Steve Anker
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:41 am

GRIFF MAN wrote:Yes, I use the new model. I had 7 of the old models and had more issues with those than the new models. The old ones would work one day and not the next...

Nothing is perfect or lasts for ever, but I do like the new model better.

Griff

Good info. Thank you.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby deerhost » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:15 pm

The sport dog beeper works well as a stand alone beeper. It has many deferent sounds to choose from. Low and high beep, double beep, hawk scream, bobwhite quail chirp. It can adust to point only or point and run. It is rechargeable and small. The only negative is that it may be a little sensative and start beeping a bit premature before the dog is completely stopped in point or if the dog is at a slow walk. But I personally like it that way. I know when my dog is just about to make game or slowly tracking a running bird. I think the best beeper I've used by far is the beeper on the dogtra 2500 train and beep. It works flawlessly. Not too sensative and always goes off exactly when it needs too. Deerhost
deerhost
Seasoned
Seasoned

Return to General Discussion