Birds per year per dog

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Birds per year per dog

Postby oldtimer » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:24 am

Constructeur wrote:Wife went to Uni in the Midwest, you can have your 3 seasons and lack of high paying employment as far as I am concerned.

Ultimately, I think any retired guy anywhere could talk up the number of birds he gets on, the only limiting factor being his willingness to get in the rig and go explore...

Lack of high paying jobs? ND has the best economy of any state I have ever lived in, not close.
oldtimer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby jlw034 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:29 am

oldtimer wrote:
Constructeur wrote:Wife went to Uni in the Midwest, you can have your 3 seasons and lack of high paying employment as far as I am concerned.

Ultimately, I think any retired guy anywhere could talk up the number of birds he gets on, the only limiting factor being his willingness to get in the rig and go explore...

Lack of high paying jobs? ND has the best economy of any state I have ever lived in, not close.

Shhhhhhhh

Let the plebs think it sucks up here. Nevermind the abundant game, high QoL, plentiful public land, and low population density.
jlw034
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby oldtimer » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:38 am

Kiger2 wrote:I think we can easily break it down into a curve.

As the dog initially gets contacts with birds, the curve is quite steep. As the dog gets more contacts the curve flattens out. So it becomes not an issue of numbers but "difference".

A dog that makes 10000 retrieves of ducks that land in the decoys is really not that exceptional. Its the dog thats retrieved 10000 birds with 10% of those unusual such as blind retrieves or whatever you want to put in here.

A dog can point 10000 pheasants that never move and not learn a thing after the first 25.

Make sense?

I hear what you are saying, but do not think what you describe exists. My dogs point a ton of pheasants, never moving is not in their genes. The exception is the pheasant that holds perfectly. Just like ducks. Some land in the decoys, but many fall in cattails.
oldtimer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Highlander » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:58 am

300 pheasant kills, 50 sharpies, 300 waterfowl, geese, ducks, etc., and 30 -60 Ruffs

Is this per year?!
Good Lord. Me and my brother felt happy if we harvested 30 quails, 20 woodcocks and 2-3 alpine grouses :D
The hunter from highlands
Highlander
Started
Started

Postby Constructeur » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:46 pm

jlw034 wrote:
Shhhhhhhh

Let the plebs think it sucks up here. Nevermind the abundant game, high QoL, plentiful public land, and low population density.

My cousins farm near Minot and Beulah, I'm pretty clued in to what's going on in that relative area. The sentiments really show that many on here don't see or understand the income gap that is growing in certain areas or markets...
Constructeur
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby jlw034 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:32 pm

Constructeur wrote:
jlw034 wrote:
Shhhhhhhh

My cousins farm near Minot and Beulah, I'm pretty clued in to what's going on in that relative area. The sentiments really show that many on here don't see or understand the income gap that is growing in certain areas or markets...

...ok...
jlw034
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby oldtimer » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:13 pm

Highlander wrote:
300 pheasant kills, 50 sharpies, 300 waterfowl, geese, ducks, etc., and 30 -60 Ruffs

Is this per year?!
Good Lord. Me and my brother felt happy if we harvested 30 quails, 20 woodcocks and 2-3 alpine grouses :D

Yes. I am not personally responsible for all of the game. A typical day in November will start out in layout blinds for Canadas and Mallards. 5 people. We are allowed 8 geese per day and 5 mallards. So that's 40 geese and 25 ducks. Now, I do not limit out every time like that, but at least 5 times a year I do.
Then after that we chase roosters. 15 roosters. Sometimes we hunt with 10. 30 roosters. Honestly, I probably underestimated the numbers. Sometimes when the snow geese come through in the spring and fall, we kill 75 geese in one day.

When the ruffs cycle is up a 60 flush day is common in Canada.
oldtimer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby oldtimer » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:10 pm

Forgot about doves. Add 200 of those as well.
oldtimer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby jlw034 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:15 pm

oldtimer wrote:Forgot about doves. Add 200 of those as well.

What general area of ND are you in?

I hunt the SE corner quite a bit. Hoping to be in ND for opening sharptail grouse...and maybe some dove/early goose action.
jlw034
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby oldtimer » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:16 pm

West central. Canola fields are where to find the doves.
oldtimer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby jlw034 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:20 pm

oldtimer wrote:West central. Canola fields are where to find the doves.

Gotcha. Hoping I can find some sunflower fields just east of the river. Have had decent luck on cut wheat fields too...shoot the geese in the AM and the doves in the afternoon haha.
jlw034
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Meridiandave » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:28 pm

I will be honest. I have no idea. The main reason is do I consider a covey of huns as one contact or more. I had days I saw over a couple hundred birds this year.

I do hunt at least once a week during the season, which runs from August 30th to January 31. I hunt dusky, ruffed, grouse, quail, pheasants, huns and chukar. All wild.
Meridiandave
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby woodboro » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:50 pm

oldtimer wrote:I got to wondering how many wild bird contacts/kills/retrieves people get throughout the country? I know living in KS, NE, WI, MO,and now ND, I have been blessed with outstanding advantages when it comes to developing dogs.I know this. ecause I have also lived where I had to make extensive trips in order to keep my dogs up. The reason I am curious is that I never owned a great bird dog until I moved to the plains/ upper mid-west. My point to all of this is two fold. One, move if you can. Honestly, relocate in good bird country. If you love bird hunting, you will never regret it. Secondly, if you have a young dog that is impressive with little experience d/t few bird contacts, you owe it to that dog to travel.

I am just old, and reflecting, but I say these things so younger people might think it through.

My dogs typically are involved in 300 pheasant kills, 50 sharpies, 300 waterfowl, geese, ducks, etc., and 30 -60 Ruffs.I cannot imagine how many points my dogs have in the summer on birds, but I know it is 4 digits per dog. I have seen many 200 point 3 hour runs when the pheasants and sharpies are still young. I am not trying to brag, I am just telling you what a difference it has made in my life with dogs.

I can only hope you eat what you shot , otherwise it is called wasting game.
I hunt 6 days a week in mid west (grouse and woodcock) and {some ducks (not enough to count)} :lol: , then a week out in the Dakota's for phez.
I average 70 birds a year , and have a wild game meal every Sunday. I love my meals , but if I had them daily , am afraid I may eventually get turned off.
Any big game , I tend to eat 3X a week , simple due to quantity of meat.
I plan to start duck hunting more , and on average like taking 12-20.
woodboro
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Kiger2 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:58 pm

Oldtimer,
I see what you are saying, but you need to break it down. How many different ways are there for a pheasant to move?

Once the dog has seen something, then the next time its easier and it learns less. Once a dog learns that ducks fall in the cattails, it no longer learns much from ducks falling in the cattails.
Next , we have no idea unless we see the dog work, how well it actually did.

If it took 10000 ducks to make a duck dog, very few would have an acceptable duck dog and i think we can both agree thats not the case.
Kiger2
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby oldtimer » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:07 pm

We eat game almost as fast as we kill it. The geese/ducks are turned into sausage. Breakfast and asian 5 spice flavor. The legs of the geese are confit in the sous vide machine, then pan fried. Very delicious. We fry the pheasants when we have a fish fry, about 1 per month. When we have pheasant/fish frys, 25-50 people show up, so we go through a ton of food. I eat venison like most people eat beef. Doves are eaten within 1-2 days. One of my favorites. Every animal I shoot, I eat. I enjoy cooking as much as I do hunting and fishing.
oldtimer
Master Poster
Master Poster

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion