Flying a dog in the US?

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Flying a dog in the US?

Postby Densa44 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:46 am

I'm in a situation that my dog has come into heat and the sire we have picked lives on the east coast. I live in Alberta. Ordinarily I'd go with her, but my wife is having a knee replaced and I have to stay here. The flight is so long that the dog will have to change planes, and this is my biggest fear.

I've been at this nearly 50 years and am a firm believer in Murphy's law.

What I'd like your opinions/experience on is; Is there a "best airline" ? Is there a best way to do this ? Any other helpful experiences?

BTW I know about most of the bad trips.

Thx.
Pine Ridges Ginnieve NA 112 UT pz 1 200
Camridge's Sienna NA 112 UT pz 1 204
Foothill Joce NA 112
Czarina Vom Oberland VJP 70 NA pz 112
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Flying a dog in the US?

Postby overit2 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:40 am

I haven't personally flown a dog, but I work in the industry- DL isn't known for many success stories. What about WestJet? Of course they may only codeshare into the US-and if so that means the other carriers rules apply.

I know it's expensive and there are many weather restrictions in the east coast. DL doesn't fly checked-in cargo pets anymore during spring/summer months.

I've been trying to figure out the best way personally to have a vacation w/our Weim travelling from Atlanta to Calgary but can't find a way to fly him there.
overit2
Started
Started

Postby bhennessy » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:11 pm

I've shipped my Griff twice in United with good results. PetSafe is United's in house company that ships animals. Full disclosure, I work for United and know we've killed some animals over the years, before PetSafe. It's much more controlled and procedurally oriented now, however. Before I shipped my pup the first time I found a PetSafe ramper by an airplane in Denver waiting to load a dog and asked him if he would ship his own dog on United. He said "absolutely". I figured one employee to another he would hopefully give me the straight scoop.

Several notes. First, I bought Bear a Gunner kennel because I've seen cargo shift and was worried it would happen on his flight. United wants the dogs in the cheesy Walmart low cost kennel with the wire door door zip tied, but I got them to take the Gunner kennel once I demonstrated it to them. I did have to jury rig mount a water and food bowl into the door which united insisted on...water I get, but food for a 4 hour evolution?

Second, the most unimpressive part of the operation was the contractors handeling the pets for United Cargo in Chicago. We've got dedicated kennels at our major hubs and united cargo must contract out the actual handling of the pets. Think the standard young kids who work at the local doggie day care. United's cargo people obviously handle the transport of the dog and the loading. They go on last and come off first when able, and they've got dedicated kennels and vehicles at our big hubs.

Third, get to the airport with the pup early because the paperwork takes a while. I almost missed the flight myself.

Last, it ain't cheap unfortunately. I think the billing is done on a combination of weight and volume. Unfortunately the Gunner kennel is heavy.

PM me if you would like to discuss more.
bhennessy
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Densa44 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:22 am

Thanks guys. I don't care about the cost. I just want the dog back in good health. She has to travel from Canada to the US and back. I think I have 2 choices West Jet (they may have a code share I don't know yet) and Air Canada + United. She probably changes planes in either ORD (Chicago) or Denver.

If it wasn't for my wife's surgery I'd go with her.
Foothill Joce NA 112
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:58 am

There may be customs issues I'm not aware of, but have you thought of AI?
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Densa44 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:59 am

AI, as an option? Here is what I have been told; frozen is a surgical procedure so that is out. Chilled is basically a fellow collecting the semen and then rushing to the airport and flying to Calgary and I don't think that there are any direct flights. We live 2 1/2 hours from the airport. This option has a lot of hair on it and it might not work.

In the past we have taken the dog to a sire in LA by car, a nice holiday and great pups. The next time the sire was flown to Calgary and I met the plane, and the last time the owner met me half way with his dog.

Trying to do the best we can for the breed has been hard, but we have met some great new friends and produced some awesome puppies. We haven't made a penny yet but at 72 years that hasn't been my biggest concern either.
Foothill Joce NA 112
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Mn John » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:14 am

There is the option of using frozen semen using a transcervical procedure, it is non-surgical using an endoscope. Find a qualified Repo-Vet, they would be able to outline the procedure.
Mn John
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Mn John » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:14 am

double post
Mn John
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby overit2 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:50 pm

bhennessy wrote:I've shipped my Griff twice in United with good results. PetSafe is United's in house company that ships animals. Full disclosure, I work for United and know we've killed some animals over the years, before PetSafe. It's much more controlled and procedurally oriented now, however.

Fellow industry worker here for DL and I can say the same for us. There's been some incidents that make me very nervous about it all.
overit2
Started
Started

Postby Densa44 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:58 pm

This is very rural Canada, the land that time forgot, all animal reproduction is on Cattle!

I don't know of any dog repo experts in Alberta, but thanks, it is good to know that it is possible. I heard before that you get smaller litters with frozen sperm. Is that still true?

Wife just came home with her new kennel.
Foothill Joce NA 112
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Densa44 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:04 pm

O.K. here is where we are now. I would have to go with her, rent a car in Baltimore. Problem 1. I'm 72 and no one will rent a car to any one over 70 (not a bad policy). Problem 2. I would drive the rental and follow the owner of the sire who would be driving her car, where I live you can often drive an hour on pavement and not see another car, I don't think that is the way large US cities work! This was a fatal error, this option is a no go.

AI is the winner, the U of Penn will collect the dog and we have found a Vet here in Edmonton who can do the procedure.

All good, Sienna is the best dog I've ever had and I've had some very good dogs but none like her. I figure that we will both "time out together" and this shipping her gave me a very bad feeling. So now no matter what happens all we can lose is money, that's not too bad.

If we get one or two less puppies, we can charge more if we want, maybe even keep a female. Lots of options and I'll be able to be there when my wife has her surgery.

To everyone who answered my plea, I really appreciate your efforts and as you can see we have adopted one of your suggestions. The members here have been a big help. Thanks.
Foothill Joce NA 112
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Calvinator » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:15 am

Shipping a dog is no big deal. It happens every day. If I were going to do an AI, which I have done three times, I would only do a surgical AI. Surgical AI has about a 96% success rate where TCI AI only has about a 75% success rate. Our first two AI's were surgical. First litter was 6 pups. Second litter was 9 pups. Third AI was a TCI, we got 0 pups.

Calvin
Calvinator
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:44 am

Densa44 wrote:O.K. here is where we are now. I would have to go with her, rent a car in Baltimore. Problem 1. I'm 72 and no one will rent a car to any one over 70 (not a bad policy). Problem 2. I would drive the rental and follow the owner of the sire who would be driving her car, where I live you can often drive an hour on pavement and not see another car, I don't think that is the way large US cities work! This was a fatal error, this option is a no go.

I think you are misinformed. There is no limit in the US on locations owned by the major national branches (such as you would find at an Airport.)

In any case, I think AI is probably the best solution and cheaper too when you factor in the costs involved in air travel. After flying a dog I would be worried about her being too stressed for the breeding to take.
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Calvinator » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:56 pm

Actually flying the female to the stud would most likely be cheaper depending on whether you choose surgical AI or TCI. You can ship the day her progesterone hits 5.0, then you know she has ovulated.
Calvinator
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to General Discussion