Whistle commands

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Whistle commands

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:46 pm

Like Oldtimer, I don't often need a whistle while upland game hunting. But it is without doubt a great tool to direct the dog to an area I want hunted (and I don't want to go there) or when the dog is on a blind retrieve for downed game.

As an aside, mine is a shepherd's whistle that allows many different tones, pitches, and sounds. You can vary the pitch and it's loud. It takes some practice to be able to control it but I use it exclusively now. I use it for the common commands (sit, come, 'pay attention'), but I also use it to "steer" the dog to the left or right
while she's running. It's main use is for blind retrieves and is extremely effective and I hardly use hand signals any more unless the dog is way off course.
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby woodboro » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:52 am

Bruce Schwartz wrote:Like Oldtimer, I don't often need a whistle while upland game hunting. But it is without doubt a great tool to direct the dog to an area I want hunted (and I don't want to go there) or when the dog is on a blind retrieve for downed game.

As an aside, mine is a shepherd's whistle that allows many different tones, pitches, and sounds. You can vary the pitch and it's loud. It takes some practice to be able to control it but I use it exclusively now. I use it for the common commands (sit, come, 'pay attention'), but I also use it to "steer" the dog to the left or right
while she's running. It's main use is for blind retrieves and is extremely effective and I hardly use hand signals any more unless the dog is way off course.

Awesome , but can you tell us what whistle tot's you use ??????
woodboro
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:59 am

a sharp single blast for stop, a series of sharp single blasts for come, low to high whoosh to turn right and high to low whoosh to turn left (a long whoosh means to turn a few degrees but a couple of quick ones means to turn sharply).

Look on Youtube at sheep dog trials to get an idea of how it's used in that venue and I'll do a video in the next double of months with techniques and the steps to teach it. I will be using it in some retriever hunt tests this spring to see if it's applicable for that situation. It takes awhile to ingrain it into the dog but very exciting to see the fruits of your labor.

Certainly not needed for hunting in particular, but there are times when it's been very useful, like when you can't see your dog well enough to give hand signals or when the dog is swimming for a downed duck and you simply steer it instead of having to stop it, and have it turn around in order to take a cast.
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Previous

Return to General Discussion