Houndsmen

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Houndsmen

Postby jlw034 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:19 pm

For someone who knows diddly about running dogs on fur, this meat eater podcast was fascinating and eye opening.

Thought I would share:

http://www.themeateater.com/podcasts/episode-057-bart-george/
Last edited by jlw034 on Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
jlw034
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Houndsmen

Postby Deuce » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:02 am

I listened to it this weekend and really enjoyed it. Looking forward to the TV episode.
Deuce
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:17 am

Elk hunting lead me to a new friend in MT who invited me out for a cat hunt. We treed 3 adult lions in 3 straight days of hunting. 22 below zero actual temps running on snow mobiles. Mummify yourself when running on the sleds and then take most of it off as you sweated profusely struggling through thigh and waist deep snow drifts to the trees. Had 3 instances where the lions jumped out of the tree as we approached, and the hounds had to run and tree it again. One of my greatest adventures. The skill and grit of a good hound is equally admirable as our Vdogs.

The JRT is quite a dog. She has treed bobcat and lions on her own and done blood tracking recoveries on several elk. The big blanket back Walker hound was Moose, 12 years old at the time. We found a big track of Tom lion at 7 am. Were not able to turn out on it until 1:30 due to problems getting snow mobiles to run in the 22 below zero temps. Moose stuck his nose in the track, raised his head up to the sky, gave out a long loud bawl and away he went. He and Rowdy ran the Tom 3.8 miles and treed. A pup came off the tree as we approached and my Buddy yelled at the pup to get back on the tree, which caused the lion to bail out of the tree and away they went in full cry. We put all our clothes back on and ran the snowmobiles to the next tree which was a little over a mile and that was where these first photos were taken.

The 5 year old Male Lion they had treed.

Male in the foreground center was 15 years old. Had a huge Tom in the Tree. His last.

The huge Male Lion was treed in the largest Ponderosa Pine around mostly hidden by limbs. I took this photo of a modern day Mt Man in his early 70s who climbed the tree to see if he could get the lion to move out on a limb in clearer view. The red is his classic red/black flannel shirt.

A small glimpse of that huge Tom as he shifted in the tree just above the man climbing towards it from below. The Lion pee'd all over the man when he got just beneath it and started snarling and climbing down towards the man, instead of going out on a limb according to plan. The man climbing decided to climb back down at that point.

An Adult Female which had been nursing Kittens that year. She was not happy. She jumped out twice and stayed in the Tree the 3rd time the dogs treed her, but was obviously not happy to be there.

Ran an all girl pack the 2nd day and they were the dogs that treed the female in photo above.

Scenery was hard to beat.

Last edited by AverageGuy on Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby carramrod » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:56 am

That is definitely on my bucket list. That's a whole different level from running coons.
carramrod
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby STait » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:16 pm

Great post AG. This forum needs a "LIKE" button!
STait
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:12 pm

Thanks Steve, Glad you enjoyed it.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby jlw034 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:43 pm

Incredible story/pics AG
jlw034
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby hicntry » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:00 pm

Loved the pics of the walkers. Brought back years of memories of gathering them up under the trees. Spent a lot of time hunting behind the English dogs also and kind of preferred them over the walkers. The American hounds have no equals at what they are bred to do. They are the EP's of the fur world.
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Bigearl » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:18 pm

Seeing those pics makes me want to throw a nite light on and cut'em loose! Love seeing those walker dogs with their hooks in the timber! I've never had the pleasure of putting a cat up a pole, but I've knocked out my fair share of southern bandits.
Outstanding pics AG.
Bigearl
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby woodboro » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:50 am

Dec. 2017 I will be out there running a lion.
2016 my original destination never had enough snow.

Hound hunting is different than birds or ducks , but its the dogs work that drives my blood to flow...
their noses are really remarkable to watch.
* 2 bear taken by hounds, memories for a life time. This past year took a bobcat w/hounds,, just a 1st class hunt in my region.
woodboro
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby carramrod » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:11 pm

hesher123 wrote:It's interesting to hear how much Steve Rinella hates hunting dogs in all other capacities: bird dogs, retrievers, etc.

He doesn't like hunting with them or others who do hunt with them and it seems that he generally doesn't even really like being around dogs.

"Guys who like hunting with dogs like being around dogs more than they like hunting."

Listen to this podcast:

Good parts about dogs starts at about 18 minutes.

http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/the-hun ... r-40416404

You're cherry picking that comment to try to prove a point, and I would mostly agree with his comment. I wouldn't be out walking around a field without a dog. I've turned down pheasant hunting trips because I wouldn't be able to hunt with my dog. What you fail to bring up is the follow up where Ron explains the comments because he had so many emails and comments with that podcast. I can't link to the follow up, but it's literally the next episode and is 14 minutes long. With that said you're failing to bring the full story to the table, and shifting it to try to make a point.

To say he doesn't like guys who hunt with dogs is completely off base. He may not enjoy hunting with dogs like most of us here, but he's definitely good friends with Ron Boheim(sp) that runs the hunting dog podcast you linked to. He's had Ron on his show 4 or 5 times now with another one coming up this season on a sage grouse hunt.
carramrod
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby carramrod » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:27 pm

hesher123 wrote:
hesher123 wrote:You're cherry picking that comment to try to prove a point, and I would mostly agree with his comment. I wouldn't be out walking around a field without a dog. I've turned down pheasant hunting trips because I wouldn't be able to hunt with my dog. What you fail to bring up is the follow up where Ron explains the comments because he had so many emails and comments with that podcast. I can't link to the follow up, but it's literally the next episode and is 14 minutes long. With that said you're failing to bring the full story to the table, and shifting it to try to make a point.

IT IS LITERALLY HIS WORDS IN THE PODCAST. Don't get it conflated with me or accuse me of anything. You are an incredibly vitriolic person if that is your first instinct to respond to another on a friendly forum.

You know what. This is my last post on this toxic forum. Same 10 guys pumping up their own egos and vitriolically disagreeing with anyone on any matter (hunting, politics, life) I don't need this in my life.

Just trying to bring the full story to the table. Trying to make others aware as well that Ron did a full follow up to explain what Steve meant by his words. Obviously some people can take things the wrong way, since it required him to do a full follow up on.
carramrod
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Return to General Discussion