E-collar advice needed

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

E-collar advice needed

Postby TarHeel » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:19 pm

Hope all is well. I will soon be in the market for a new e-collar and wanted to see which ones you guys liked best. I will be training, heavy waterfowl, and some upland. One I really like is the Garmin Sport Pro. http://www.gundogsupply.com/garmin-tri- ... t-pro.html
TarHeel
Started
Started

Re: E-collar advice needed

Postby stubblejumper » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:44 am

I like the Dogtra 2500, it works in all conditions, including down to -30., and battery life is great. I find the beeper very useful for locating my dog in heavy cover, but I only use it in the locate mode, I don't leave the beeper on full time.
stubblejumper
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Warrior372 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:04 pm

I agree as I also run a Dogtra 2500 T&B. I have used it daily for 5 months with no problems. The battery lasts a shocking amount of time between charges. I use the locate beep for recall as I also run a Garmin Astro for location. My dog has to run off leash daily to keep him sane, so the collar / handheld have seen blizzards, rain, sleet, etc. and I have never given me an issue. I do keep the handheld in my chest pocket to keep it warmer though.
Warrior372
Pup
Pup

Postby AverageGuy » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:35 pm

Tritronics Pro 550 here for training. An Alpha while hunting. It used to be pretty clear cut that TT was the best available. I do not know if that is still the case because I have not used other products. The TT rate of malfunctions and need for replace has definitely grown shorter over the 30 years I have been using them. Two recent failures were due to the lighter plastic on the collar breaking where the collar strap runs through the slot, as did the antenna on my Pro 500 leading to the Pro 550 a lot sooner than should have been necessary. My latest Mini T15 collar lasted only a year but my usage is pretty heavy. The features and functions of the TT products remain mostly excellent. The Alpha would be way better had they retained the dial wheel intensity adjustment of the 550 vs the horrible touch screen.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mtlhdr » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:15 pm

TarHeel wrote:One I really like is the Garmin Sport Pro.

I have the previous generation of this e-collar made by tri-tronics. I really like the availability of continuous, momentary, and tone buttons at once, along with the simplicity of the transmitter. What I don't like is the dial...at all. Over time, the dial loosened up and would rotate through normal hunting such that I had to unclip the transmitter and look at the dial to ensure that it's on the appropriate level. This is a deal-breaker for me and I recently purchased a lightly used pro 550. If garmin addressed the issue with the dial, then I think the Sport Pro probably would suit your needs as a basic e-collar. That said, you probably could find a lightly used pro 550 for a decent price like I did. Food for thought.

Edit: there's a 550 for sale on gundogforum right now, $275 OBO
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby TarHeel » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:03 pm

mtlhdr wrote:
TarHeel wrote:One I really like is the Garmin Sport Pro.

I have the previous generation of this e-collar made by tri-tronics. I really like the availability of continuous, momentary, and tone buttons at once, along with the simplicity of the transmitter. What I don't like is the dial...at all. Over time, the dial loosened up and would rotate through normal hunting such that I had to unclip the transmitter and look at the dial to ensure that it's on the appropriate level. This is a deal-breaker for me and I recently purchased a lightly used pro 550. If garmin addressed the issue with the dial, then I think the Sport Pro probably would suit your needs as a basic e-collar. That said, you probably could find a lightly used pro 550 for a decent price like I did. Food for thought.

Edit: there's a 550 for sale on gundogforum right now, $275 OBO

Thanks! I was concerned about the size of the transmitter on the 550. My son and I will both be using. They actually have them on Garmin with a $50 rebate right now also. Thoughts?
TarHeel
Started
Started

Postby aaronk » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:17 pm

If you're heavy waterfowl a collar light is invaluable, the collar light/beacon on my Alpha is awesome and it looks like the Sport Pro has the same light/beacon. I'll be picking up a Sport Pro this summer for waterfowling next year, I've been happy with my Garmin collars and so far they've held up to swimming very well.
aaronk
Started
Started

Postby mtlhdr » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:34 am

I haven't really used the 550 yet. I got it towards the end of the hunting season and didn't want to switch collars. I'll spend the off-season training and getting comfortable with it. From what I can tell people really like the 550. It also has the beacon light feature.
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby lpk_moe » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:42 am

I just recently bought a 550 and really like it. I love the beacon lights when we are outside at night. So far very pleased with it.
Thanks
Daniel
lpk_moe
Pup
Pup

Postby Calvinator » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:28 pm

Dogtra 3500NCP
Calvinator
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:32 pm

TT 550
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby LanceGwp » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:04 pm

You can't go wrong with a Garmin pro 550
Bone Point's Salty Gunner Mac UTI 198
LanceGwp
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby TarHeel » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:28 pm

Happy 4th everyone! Looking to buy an e-collar in the next few weeks and wanted to get your thoughts.

- I will only be training one dog.
- Upland and waterfowl

I need advice and how to really determine if I absolutely need a beeper option.

Collars I am looking at but open to others:
Dogtra 2500t&b
Garmin Pro 550 - beeper option?
Dogtra pathfinder
Garmin sport Pro - new one

Thanks in advance!
TarHeel
Started
Started

Postby gusto » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:40 pm

I have three collars. A 16 year old Dogtra 20002, and 15 year old Sportdog 2 dog unit, and a new 2500 t&b. No difference between reliability in all of them. For sure though Sportdog has had the best customer service. I would definitely consider that companies products. You want more range than anything.
gusto
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:46 pm

30 years using Tri-tronics. So far they have given me no reason to change brands.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Next

Return to General Discussion