Reyna

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Reyna

Postby hicntry » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:09 pm

About 22 months old. First season with novice trainer. Non sporting breed. 5/8 hunting line, 3/8 protection line with no hunting background heavily titled in bitework. Last pup in the litter so there was no choosing.

https://youtu.be/pv6leqbzzdk
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Reyna

Postby orhunter » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:28 pm

Pretty cool.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby woodboro » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:42 pm

That vid put the word 'service' into hunting (service dog) = WELL DONE.
lov that coat.
woodboro
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby JONOV » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:37 pm

Very neat.
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:28 pm

Nice to see a working Airedale still around.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:26 pm

AverageGuy wrote:Nice to see a working Airedale still around.

AG, I have always had working Airedales. Master Fur titles. International bitework titles against the malinois and GSD's....plus my own dogs on hogs for years.

The post I put up was a statement, surprise, surprise, to breeders. Along with what I mentioned in the original post. None of Reynas parents for two generations have ever been hunted. Her sire is Tucco, my couch potato. No hunting titles. How is this possible? Quit breeding for perceived talent and breed the leaders of the pups and not the second rate pups that are perceived to have more talent. You said you pick the hardest chargers when you pick your pups. Breeders could learn something from you. I never bred the second rate pups regardless of any perceived talent. I only bred the leaders and never the followers. All the versatile dogs have been around long enough that the hunt is there, no one should have to breed for talent.....breeding for a consistent coat would be a good start since none of the versatiles have one.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:01 pm

HC, it looked like the pup picked up the track, followed it over the hill, then POINTED the bird, looking like she was right on top of it? Do Airdale's naturally point or was that a flash point due to the closeness of the game?
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:49 pm

Looked like a hen retrieved?? Game farm birds??
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:35 pm

GONEHUNTIN' wrote:HC, it looked like the pup picked up the track, followed it over the hill, then POINTED the bird, looking like she was right on top of it? Do Airdale's naturally point or was that a flash point due to the closeness of the game?

I would say it is the natural stalking mode of a predator, which is my best guess as to where the point came from originally. I was surprised the handler could control it that well.

hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby randomnut » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:33 pm

I know I'm no breeder, but I didn't see much there to suggest that the dog in video had much to really look at.

I saw a dog flush a bird, and it kinda appeared the gunner knew it was there.

Maybe others saw something exciting, I saw an Airedale fetch a bird.
randomnut
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby fuzznut » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:52 am

My Border Terrier learned to find quail, sort of kinda point them, and then chase them down .Not much of a retriever however, and a weeee bit hard mouthed when she did get them. She learned by following the Wires around when we were training. She even learned to honor their points, to a degree.

I would never consider attempting to pass her off as a gun dog... it was exposure, not genetics. She was also one heck of a ground hog dog..... that hard mouth came in handy for that.

I think it's cool that the airdate is being used in the way it's owner wants to use her, and that she is adaptable enough to do it. They were meant to be all around farm dogs.
fuzznut
Started
Started

Postby JONOV » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:13 am

randomnut wrote:I know I'm no breeder, but I didn't see much there to suggest that the dog in video had much to really look at.

I saw the dog hold the point (albeit for a short period of time) until it was told to flush.
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:22 am

You have to read what HC said about the dog in his post, not just look at the video.
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby randomnut » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:12 am

JONOV wrote:
randomnut wrote:I know I'm no breeder, but I didn't see much there to suggest that the dog in video had much to really look at.

I saw the dog hold the point (albeit for a short period of time) until it was told to flush.

Ok. I couldn't see the point on my phone, and I keep my volume down.
randomnut
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby hicntry » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:10 pm

GONEHUNTIN' wrote:You have to read what HC said about the dog in his post, not just look at the video.

+!
What do you think GH? Am I wasting my time? :?: :?:

hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to General Discussion