How often do you exercise your dogs?

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

How often do you exercise your dogs?

Postby randomnut » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:44 pm

We try to get out 3-4 times a week for what ends up being 7-10 miles. I like roading but it got too hot to do much. Summertime we pretty much stay near water during exercise time, but the dogs only run for 10 minutes or so before they get back to the creek.
randomnut
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: How often do you exercise your dogs?

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:24 pm

4-5 times a week. I run them alongside my bicycle and go 5-6 miles a day. When I was younger I did 10 a day, but no more.
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby oldtimer » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:54 pm

In the winter very little. Starting in April/May I swim them 2-4 times a week. They swim a mile a piece per session. Starting about August 1st I run them 3 times a week for an hour or more. Once season starts I hunt them 3-5 times per week. Usually 2 hrs per hunt. (Upland) then waterfowl the rest of the day. I like to rest my dogs in Feb, March, and beginning of April. Like resting a pitchers arm.
oldtimer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby aaronk » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:21 pm

This time of year I manage 1/2 mile in the morning and 1/2 mile in the evenings 7 days a week with longer runs on weekends. Once we gain that extra hour of daylight I try and log at least 1 mile in the evenings. It's tough though with two young kids and working full time plus everything else that needs to get done around the house!
aaronk
Started
Started

Postby JONOV » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:52 pm

Every day. Because otherwise he turns into an arsehole around the house. And, the walks are good for me too. I consider it as or more important than other household chores. I want to stick a gps on him to figure how much he walks during our walks...I bet he moves two miles to my one.
JONOV
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby woodboro » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:34 pm

JONOV wrote:Every day. Because otherwise he turns into an arsehole around the house. And, the walks are good for me too. I consider it as or more important than other household chores. I want to stick a gps on him to figure how much he walks during our walks...I bet he moves two miles to my one.

rate that from 1-10 and aggression to other dogs as well as to your self... :lol:

I own 2 farms 1 in the Midwest and one out west.
On a daily bases I run them 2x a day morn/ evening.
*During the spring/summer they are run possibly 3x a day. (These are only 10-15 minute let your legs out)
I do not believe in huge runs as I did as a youth.
*one of those runs they get a line retrieve that is 130 yards... my 13 year old is so programed on this (they all lov it)
During the day they are in kennel runs , and during the early morn / evening they are in the house as well as at night.
During the spring and summer I will do retrieving work, that allows them as working dogs to play... I do not believe in toys for dogs.
Thru summer months they get to swim about 2-3 times a week for 5-8 bumper retrieves.
During the autumn/early winter they get their am/evening 10 minute runs around the farm.
But during that season , they are hunted 6 days a week with one day off unless its a rain day , then at least one dog is duck hunting.
woodboro
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby randomnut » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:41 pm

JONOV wrote:Every day. Because otherwise he turns into an arsehole around the house. And, the walks are good for me too. I consider it as or more important than other household chores. I want to stick a gps on him to figure how much he walks during our walks...I bet he moves two miles to my one.

Not sure about your dog, but mine go 5-6 miles for my 1 if they're running. I clocked my youngest dog a couple days ago roading at 24 mph the first mile, and went three miles averaging over 19.

Longer runs in hunting situations average 9-12 mph for 10-15 miles.
randomnut
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby TobyTx » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:11 pm

I don't, he has free run over 1.5 acres.
Cabo vom Sendero vjp 69 hzp np
TobyTx
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:10 am

randomnut wrote:

Not sure about your dog, but mine go 5-6 miles for my 1 if they're running.
I clocked my youngest dog a couple days ago roading at 24 mph the first mile, and went three miles averaging over 19.

Longer runs in hunting situations average 9-12 mph for 10-15 miles.

That doesn't surprise me one bit. I have no idea. He gets way ahead of me, I call him back, he gets a couple hundred yards into the woods, back and forth and all around, etc...

I should clarify, if I don't get him the exercise I need, he becomes a pest. Not destructive, but wants more attention from me, making noise jumping around throwing toys all around, etc. He gets his exercise and he's an extremely chill companion.
JONOV
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby JASmith » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:53 pm

Yeah my pup is in the same boat, she becomes a pest, not really destructive in the house, but outside she will dig up my sprinkler heads and gutter down spouts, or chew branches off my bushes, or spread my wood pile throughout the entire yard, etc. She just gets creative.
Rock Creek Gooseberry (Rebel)
JASmith
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby JONOV » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:08 pm

JASmith wrote:Yeah my pup is in the same boat, she becomes a pest, not really destructive in the house, but outside she will dig up my sprinkler heads and gutter down spouts, or chew branches off my bushes, or spread my wood pile throughout the entire yard, etc. She just gets creative.

Or find cardboard to chew up and spread around the house...
JONOV
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Warrior372 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:00 pm

We are fortunate enough to live a quick walk from foothills with quail and Huns all over them. I run my 9 month old French Brittany 5-6x per week off-leash in these areas. Usually 2 days are 1.5-2.5 hours and 3-4 days are 1-1.5 hours. If he does not get this amount of exercise he is very restless. I do not have a gps collar, so I am not sure how far he goes, but I average 3.5 miles per hour and he has to run 2-3x me depending on the day - if not more.
Warrior372
Pup
Pup

Postby stubblejumper » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:40 am

I live 150 yards from a 1/4 section of grass/alfalfa, and we go for a run every day, regardless of the weather. I walk around 2 miles, and the dog likely runs at least three times as far. So far, our coldest day was -32, but we both did just fine. When the snow is deep, I wear snowshoes, and I wear muck boots when it's wet and muddy. When spring training starts, we will be out even more.
stubblejumper
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Return to General Discussion