DD as family dogs

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

(Owners of DDs only) How would you rank your DD as a family dog? 1-10 10 being the best

No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
31%
8%
62%

Total votes : 13

Re: DD as family dogs

Postby JONOV » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:43 am

woodboro wrote:10 years back to present:

Had three in the house , had no issues except when youngest try to step on middle boys toes ... maybe 1 fight a year, and my
old monarch would get in the mix , and pretty much break it up...
But saying that I am Alpha and would be immediately there, to break it up .
These were 3 boys..
----------------------
That youngest boy is now my 13 year old.
My 2nd youngest is 3 and that bum is a bad citizen / but probably my best all time hunter when its all said and done.
Have a 1 year old on board, and he is a goof ball.

I had only 1 dog in 30 years that chewed on furniture, and it was only one piece. (as a pup)
Once they are all house broke and know my system , they all fall in line .
Currently only one dog out of crate at a time... cause of the 3 year old.
Other than this one , they all behave , and are great watch dogs as well as telling me if a squirrel is in the bird feeder. .. .. huh

So for last 10 years :
6 dogs total.
4 I'll score at a 9.

1 ( 3 year old) 2 , but if he is by him self he is no trouble at all.
1 ( 1 year old) 4, just a full of energy type dog that hasn't found out he can settle.
Perhaps the important question is, do you trust the 3 year old around other people? Would you allow kids around him?

Because Dog aggression and human aggression are different things.
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:51 pm

They are willing baby sitters.

AND WILLING TO DO TIME IN THE SLAMMER WITH THEIR COHORTS IN CRIME.

I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby TobyTx » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:21 pm

Mine will be 10 soon and i would rate him a 6 or 7. He is more hyper than most ive seen and also likes to get into stuff when your back is turned. Sheds quite a bit which i see someone else finally admits too. Very playful and happy go lucky, not a loof at all. Great with kids as long as he is not too hyper. I fairly recently gave him free run of the house when am gone. He is fine with other dogs as long as they are friendly. He had on little skirmish with my other male who was 3 years older the enitre time i had them.
Cabo vom Sendero vjp 69 hzp np
TobyTx
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby TobyTx » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:23 pm

Almost all 10s??!
Cabo vom Sendero vjp 69 hzp np
TobyTx
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Deuce » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:12 am

Gave an 8.

Goes in the kennel when we're not home. Swipes socks and tries to counter surf if she can get away with it.

In terms of aggression, my wife and I do not have children. I'd be interested to see what would happen if we did (it won't). She is afraid of young children. Tucks her tail, backs up, tries to get away. If she can't she growls. Never had her snap because I've had her on leash and removed her from the situation. Wholly untrustworthy around them.

Additionally, I do not look forward to getting another female puppy. I'll have to watch her like a hawk and ensure she knows her place in the pack order so she doesn't go after it. She is queen bee and any other female dog around with dominance will generate a fight. No questions asked.

Just being honest. Not bashing. I love the dog. She curls up right next to us on the couch and is a hell of a meat dog. But she has a few screws that could use some tightening.
Deuce
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:47 pm

Mine is exuberantly friendly, especially around kids. He is too much with all the kisses and face licking, even at the vet. Just like TobyTx describes, my can also be a little more hyper than just about any other DD I've seen and he has a knack for getting into things behind my back. And sometimes he likes to give me a little "backtalk" barking but I shut that down quick when he does. He's definitely more sweet than stubborn but that stubborn streak can try my patience at times. As a youngster he had a prey possessiveness issue that needed swift handling. If it wasn't for the extra hyperness, etc he'd be a solid 9 or maybe a 10. So I'll say he's a 7.
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Previous

Return to General Discussion