DD as family dogs

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

(Owners of DDs only) How would you rank your DD as a family dog? 1-10 10 being the best

No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
31%
8%
62%

Total votes : 13

DD as family dogs

Postby oldtimer » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:45 pm

I have only good things to say about DD temperaments, just curious as to what owners of DDs think. I am not interested in stories about other people's DDs, only your own, and only in the last 10 years.
oldtimer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: DD as family dogs

Postby stubblejumper » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:48 pm

My DD has a great personality, and he has never destroyed anything in the house, but an 80lb dog is on the large size for a house dog. As well, he does shed a fair bit, so I am vacuuming up hair on a regular basis. As well, an 80lb dog does leave a lot to be picked up in the yard, so as much as we like our DD, I won't give him a 10.
stubblejumper
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby jlw034 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:53 pm

stubblejumper wrote:My DD has a great personality, and he has never destroyed anything in the house, but an 80lb dog is on the large size for a house dog. As well, he does shed a fair bit, so I am vacuuming up hair on a regular basis. As well, an 80lb dog does leave a lot to be picked up in the yard, so as much as we like our DD, I won't give him a 10.

Does yours get free reign of the house?

No way could we leave Lena out all day. Way too mischievous.
jlw034
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby oldtimer » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:16 pm

My DD is the worst food stealer of all time. I have to kennel her when I am not home..I guess I overlooked that aspect. :);)
oldtimer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Calvinator » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:26 pm

Yes let's overlook and sweep under the rug the bad temperaments.
Calvinator
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby oldtimer » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:33 pm

Calvinator,
That is the point of this poll. That temperament stuff is "fake news". I have PP and a DD. The DD is a far better watchdog, other than that, they are both great family dogs. My DD is more fearless.
oldtimer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby jlw034 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:50 pm

Calvinator wrote:Yes let's overlook and sweep under the rug the bad temperaments.

Are you saying a dog that will swipe food or pull ornament off the tree has a bad temperament?
jlw034
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby stubblejumper » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:00 pm

jlw034 wrote:
stubblejumper wrote:My DD has a great personality, and he has never destroyed anything in the house, but an 80lb dog is on the large size for a house dog. As well, he does shed a fair bit, so I am vacuuming up hair on a regular basis. As well, an 80lb dog does leave a lot to be picked up in the yard, so as much as we like our DD, I won't give him a 10.

Does yours get free reign of the house?

No way could we leave Lena out all day. Way too mischievous.

We have left Butch for six hours and he had full reign of the kitchen and living room. I often leave him for two to three hours, when the Mrs is at work.
stubblejumper
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:09 pm

Vegas temperament is so phenomenal we've considered getting her tested as a therapy dog.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Constructeur » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:11 pm

oldtimer wrote:Calvinator,
That is the point of this poll.

The point of the poll is for you to gather the local (forums) DD/DK fanclub favorable opinions, then present it to yourself and others as hard fact.
Constructeur
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby oldtimer » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:25 pm

Constructeur wrote:
oldtimer wrote:Calvinator,
That is the point of this poll.

The point of the poll is for you to gather the local (forums) DD/DK fanclub favorable opinions, then present it to yourself and others as hard fact.

No, the point is to poll actual owners of dogs, not "My uncle's second cousin twice removed said DDs are mean" nonsense. I am tired of misinformed people who have never owned a DD giving their 2 cents about what they are like. If you want to know what a car is like, you poll those who own the vehicle. Simple logic.
oldtimer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:48 pm

First hand observations are not hearsay. Nor are they an attack on the breed as a whole.

I don't currently own a German Shepard but I most certainly know first hand that my neighbor's GS all but bit me when I got out of my truck at their farmstead. I had met the dog previously, knew its name, and misjudged my ability to win it over with a confident friendly approach and calling its name. I won't be making that mistake with that dog ever again. Ownership is not necessary to have a valid observation.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:57 pm

I have never met a DD with a bad temperament....but then again ...I have never met one so my observation is definitely not valid. LOL.
Last edited by hicntry on Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:21 am

I have a GWP, not a DD, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy a DD as a family dog.

But then, I would also want to talk to the breeder about his dogs. But, that's true for any dog. I don't know that I would buy a field trial labrador that's parents spent most of its life in a run.

Also, a dog might be fine as my family dog, but still be dog aggressive or whatever. My parents had a male Golden Retriever like that. He was a good dog around kids. He would cuddle with toddlers and let them crawl all over him, pull is hair, stick his fingers up his nose, etc...But another male dog and him were a bad recipe.

They are fine as family dogs assuming they get enough exercise except for maybe exuberance and small kids.
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby woodboro » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:41 am

10 years back to present:

Had three in the house , had no issues except when youngest try to step on middle boys toes ... maybe 1 fight a year, and my
old monarch would get in the mix , and pretty much break it up...
But saying that I am Alpha and would be immediately there, to break it up .
These were 3 boys..
----------------------
That youngest boy is now my 13 year old.
My 2nd youngest is 3 and that bum is a bad citizen / but probably my best all time hunter when its all said and done.
Have a 1 year old on board, and he is a goof ball.

I had only 1 dog in 30 years that chewed on furniture, and it was only one piece. (as a pup)
Once they are all house broke and know my system , they all fall in line .
Currently only one dog out of crate at a time... cause of the 3 year old.
Other than this one , they all behave , and are great watch dogs as well as telling me if a squirrel is in the bird feeder. .. .. huh

So for last 10 years :
6 dogs total.
4 I'll score at a 9.

1 ( 3 year old) 2 , but if he is by him self he is no trouble at all.
1 ( 1 year old) 4, just a full of energy type dog that hasn't found out he can settle.
woodboro
Master Poster
Master Poster

Next

Return to General Discussion