Goat's milk

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Goat's milk

Postby MTman » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:39 am

I did a quick search of the forum and didn't come up with anything about it so I thought I'd ask the experts here.

I have a friend that invited me to come to a talk a salesman was giving at the fancy dog store here in Bozeman last night. The salesman was from Answers dog food. He talked for a while and I wanted to see what the resident experts here thought. His talk was not on sporting breeds so I don't know how any of what he talked about translates here. Has anyone heard of feeding a dog only goat's milk? He claims it is a complete food. Pretty much all a dog needs for nutrients. But he wasn't advocating only feeding it always. Just in certain heath situations. Mainly used as a supplement. Putting it on kibble. Feeding it with their fish stock. Or with a raw diet. Does anyone feed their dog goat's milk?

Also, I know that a raw diet has been debated here before, so I'm not looking to open that can of worms. I just want to ask, he talked about the dangers of raw, but he said because they ferment their raw foods, it means they are putting good bacteria in to out-compete the other bacteria. Does this have validity?
MTman
Started
Started

Re: Goat's milk

Postby Chadwick » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:07 pm

Sounds like marketing to me.

The fermented thing is correct in the sense that fermenting sets up an environment for specific types of bacteria. I don't know how much that matters to a dog. Dogs and other canine's are predators and scavengers and their stomachs produce a very low ph to kill off bacteria, including the nasty bacteria from sick animals or rotting carcasses.
Chadwick
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:30 pm

I've had several clients come upon Duralactin and report it does help with arthritis.

A friend of mine had her dog on goats milk, felt it helped some, and Duralactin was even better.

Since there's no real science behind either product, I don't routinely recommend it.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Calvinator » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:38 pm

A friend that has raised German Shepherds for about 40 years always feeds his pups kibble soaked in goats milk. They also get hard boiled eggs. All of his dogs get hard boiled eggs, mostly due to an over abundance of eggs from the fowl he raises.

Calvin
Calvinator
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:27 pm

I know in humans goat's milk is far easier to digest than cow's milk because it has 2x the amount of beneficial fatty acids. It has many more health benefits too. It is indeed commonly looked at as a complete or almost super food. However, just like cow's milk it loses a lot of those benefits once it's pasteurized. That's because pasteurization kills ALL the bacteria, including all the beneficial bacteria you want in your gut. I'm actually a regular raw milk drinker and I know exactly where my milk comes from (I can go to the farm right now) and its tested far more than any other milk I can buy in the store. If you know where your raw milk is coming from and trust in the farm then there is very little risk in drinking raw and many more benefits. Pasteurization came about back in the day because of all the urban dairies that sprang up to produce milk en masse for school children. These dairies were not very sanitary and listeria was a real problem, so they had to come up with an easier and cost-effective way of making all that milk drinkable and that was Pasteurization. Today though there are many more products in supermarkets that are more likely to have listeria than milk (raw or pasteurized.)
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:33 am

MTman wrote: I just want to ask, he talked about the dangers of raw, but he said because they ferment their raw foods, it means they are putting good bacteria in to out-compete the other bacteria. Does this have validity?

I am not a scientist, but I always interpreted the dangers of the Raw diet to be on the human side. Meaning, if you have a dog shedding campylobacters from eating raw meat, it can be a danger to the elderly, compromised immune system, etc.

The fermentation would grow probiotics, which are good for GI health. But from what I know about campylobacters, they require the same anaerobic environment.
JONOV
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Return to General Discussion