Call to Action for Public Lands

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Call to Action for Public Lands

Postby Chadwick » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:15 am

From the article, "Representatives would revert BLM land-use planning back to an ineffective and outdated rule and prevent positive changes from being included in future revisions." This House of Representatives has already voted this through. Only the Senate can stop it.

http://www.trcp.org/2017/02/07/house-vo ... and-use-2/

Here is the form to contact your senator.

https://secure3.convio.net/trcp/site/Ad ... 8530D65FE6
Chadwick
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Call to Action for Public Lands

Postby woodboro » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:54 am

I just read an article about a week ago , that states like Wisconsin , are putting the majority of their forestry into harvestable resource'

I am a member of Conservation Forestry , so this creates a fine line of recycling woods , as well as creating habitat for game.
I drew up a plan for a National and State forest that recycled some woods as well as burned some seg areas , but also left some timber areas for heritage.

Fine line in deed when it comes to public lands.
woodboro
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:03 am

Done, Thanks for posting.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby bhennessy » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:26 am

Done, thanks for the heads-up. Senator Cassidy in Louisiana, for one, is a proponent of public lands (at least in his office's communications with me on the subject) and will oppose attempts to transfer them to the states. I don't know about Senator Kennedy as he is brand new to the job. He made the obligatory television add claiming to be a sportsman and holding a gun...so we've got that going for us.

It gave me a chuckle to watch Chaffe beat a hasty retreat on his support of the land transfer issue a couple weeks ago. We haven't heard the last of him though.
bhennessy
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Deuce » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:28 am

No we haven't... H.R. 622 (a bill he also introduced, still sits in the house). He is running a strong race towards sitting on the couch come next election.
Deuce
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Bigearl » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:48 pm

Bigearl
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Falk » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:51 pm

i've gt a bridge to sell you
Falk
Pup
Pup

Postby Bigearl » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:06 pm

http://www.capitalpress.com/Nation_Worl ... nning-rule

https://www.farm2ranch.com/articles/new ... ning-rule/

Well it's starting to look like there may be a legitimate reason for the house to overturn BLM planning rule 2.0...
Imagine that!
Bigearl
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Chadwick » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:04 am

Bigearl wrote:http://www.capitalpress.com/Nation_World/Nation/20161202/blm-issues-controversial-new-land-planning-rule

Well it's starting to look like there may be a legitimate reason for the house to overturn BLM planning rule 2.0...
Imagine that!

Bigearl,

Just so I understand, is it your position that if these lands were turned over to local control, then when I go there to hunt, there would be better upland bird habitat and less public lands that look like the surface of the moon due to heavy grazing? As it stands right now, I often have to drive to numerous spots to find one with decent habit.

If under local control, the public lands will look as nice as all the private ranch land I drive by, then I am all for letting public land get run on a local level.
Chadwick
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:06 am

One thing I observe way too much of. The cattle industry in general abuses grasslands by overgrazing. Too often it is the worst on public land that the BLM is supposed to be managing. Many times I have seen some reasonable stewardship of grasslands on their private land, but the Land we owned on the other side of the fence is grubbed to the ground by the same rancher.

There is a problem here. The solution is less obvious to me. I am sympathetic to people anywhere, including the West, being bullied by Federal Gov beauracrats in DC. But there is a problem to be addressed here. I guess I favor a mix of local and federal oversight vs solely one or the other.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Bigearl » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:12 pm

Chadwick wrote:
Bigearl wrote:http://www.capitalpress.com/Nation_World/Nation/20161202/blm-issues-controversial-new-land-planning-rule

Imagine that!

Bigearl,

Just so I understand, is it your position that if these lands were turned over to local control, then when I go there to hunt, there would be better upland bird habitat and less public lands that look like the surface of the moon due to heavy grazing? As it stands right now, I often have to drive to numerous spots to find one with decent habit.

If under local control, the public lands will look as nice as all the private ranch land I drive by, then I am all for letting public land get run on a local level.

No position is that more control should go to local and state governments. If grazing those acres is the best option at that moment for that local economy and its citizens then yes that's what should happen. If setting aside areas to manage for bird habit is the best option for that local community then that's what they should do. They don't necessarily need outside help from some fed agency to make those decisions.
This new planning rule 2.0 if you will is being sold on the premise that it wil speed up land managing procedures, but from what little research I've had time to do, it lacks the necessary language to tuely include and value the opinion and needs of the local community that it affects.
Bigearl
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby AverageGuy » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:21 pm

It is that local bias towards doing what is short term best for the local job market and economy vs the broader good for all concerned and the resource itself, that concerns me. Local politicians are as prone to abuse a resource for short term gain, as is a DC beauracrat is to bully a landowner from a desk 1000s of miles to the east. Informed, engaged and active voters are a critical control feature in the mix.
Last edited by AverageGuy on Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:49 pm

AverageGuy wrote:It is that local bias towards doing what is short term best for the local job market and economy vs the broader good for all concerned and the resource itself, that concerns me. Local politicians are as prone to abuse a resource for short term gain, as are a DC beauracrat is to bully a landowner from a desk 1000s of miles to the east. Informed, engaged and active voters are a critical control feature in the mix.

Well said. As ideal as it would be to let local interests decide what land use is best I, for one, will take the government's side every time. As little as the government is loved, still, they alone are assigned the task of looking out for all of our interests as well as being stewards of our land for future generations. Trout Unlimited's take on the proposal: http://www.tu.org/blog-posts/keep-the-p ... management

Bigearl wrote: If grazing those acres is the best option at that moment for that local economy and its citizens then yes that's what should happen

Here ya' go Bigearl: Guess which side of the fence the rancher felt was the best grazing option at that moment? And guess which side of the fence I found chukars? When local interests ruin land it can be ruined forever.

Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Bigearl » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:33 pm

I don't see anything wrong with that photo. Rancher grazed on one side and you found birds on the other. You both what you wanted that day. Does anyone currently involved in this thread farm for a living? I don't mean have a "hobby farm" either. I'm talking about farming to pay the bills and put food on the table, both yours and your neighbors.
Bigearl
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Deuce » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:42 pm

AverageGuy wrote:It is that local bias towards doing what is short term best for the local job market and economy vs the broader good for all concerned and the resource itself, that concerns me. Local politicians are as prone to abuse a resource for short term gain, as are a DC beauracrat is to bully a landowner from a desk 1000s of miles to the east. Informed, engaged and active voters are a critical control feature in the mix.

Nail on the head.

Short term gain for profit is the antithesis of public lands in the US.
Deuce
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Next

Return to General Discussion