Too many DD litters? Quality?

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Too many DD litters? Quality?

Postby randomnut » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:25 am

Duckman056 wrote:
Georgia Boy wrote:I have said it before and I'll say it again, if all someone wants is a bird-dog I do not understand why they would get a DD or similar "versatile dog."

So if someone wants to hunt both waterfowl and upland bird and most like not very often on fur if any at all. Would that not justify a persons want for a VDog. I have had labs all my life, but they don't do what I want as far as upland game that I now hunt. I still enjoy waterfowl as well. VDog seemed like the way to go. And for the fact of using it to blood track when needed.

Blood tracking? You know someone that's gonna shoot a deer?

In my area, I think a Draht makes as good of a bird dog as any. No need in a dog that hunts 400 yards each side when hunting woods.

I like mine within 200 yards each way here. Out west or in more open areas, I could see a EP or such doing a better job, but I think conditioning has more to do with that. I see quite a few out of shape Drahts. Not fat, but definitely not conditioned.

With waterfowl, in my limited exposure to other water dogs, I could see a Draht outperforming most labs and chessies. That being said, I've never hunted behind a good one, so my opinion could change.
randomnut
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby orhunter » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:11 am

More on the video. I'll admit, I didn't watch it closely but I did look at several dogs and they all appeared to do the same thing, going for a run. That isn't hunting and I'm sure in something other than a trail setup, I'd have seen different dogs. I just don't know. If while on a run, a dog accidentally stumbles upon birds, it still isn't hunting. I just don't think the video presents the dogs in a way I like to see a dog work. I want to see the dog indicate it knows why we're out here.

A few years back, KJ and I were out somewhere, doing something, could have been hunting or fishing, don't remember. He asked, what do you think of so and so's DD's? Told him, I have a little Griff that would make them look pretty bad. I've hunted my dog a few times with KJ and various member of his pack. Some of his dogs leave my girl in the dust, depending on the cover, other times they all hunted together, several times pointing or backing the same covey of birds. I will say, until any of you have hunted Chukars, Huns, Sharptails, etc., you really don't understand range or know what your dog is capable of. But, if your dogs handle the cover and the birds you do hunt effectively, you have a good dog. If you are leaving undiscovered birds in the field, maybe not? A good dog is always hunting 50 to 300 yards in front of it's nose, depending on wind and cover. A pup needs to be brought up with complete freedom to explore the world so it will hunt the same way as an adult. No check cords, no whistles, nothing, complete freedom. But, this is off topic.
Last edited by orhunter on Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby randomnut » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:39 am

Agreed 100% with the last three sentences above.
randomnut
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby carramrod » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:51 pm

randomnut wrote:Blood tracking? You know someone that's gonna shoot a deer?

I think blood tracking is one of the most interesting and useful parts of owning a DD. We found my brother's deer this year with only one drop of blood being seen (which my borhter found behind us while we were literally walking up to the deer). We probably would have lost all the meat because of the heat and most likely not being able to find it until the morning without him.

I will say that I don't necessarily target vermin specifically, but won't object if he engages them. This year he actually brought me more furbearers than waterfowl. Just didn't get out on them enough this year.
carramrod
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby STait » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:46 pm

randomnut wrote:Agreed 100% with the last three sentences above.

As do I. Good post orhunter.
STait
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:29 pm

randomnut wrote:
Blood tracking? You know someone that's gonna shoot a deer?

This deer was shot low and back by a relative on Wednesday morning, my usual day off. I offered to bring the dogs to help, but they declined as there were a couple experienced trackers and they figured it was a liver hit and they'd find him.

They did find him, bedded in a gully near water, head still up. They backed out.

Thursday the deer had moved, and a grid search did not find him. They found 2 beds within 10 yds of each other where the deer had been seen, no other sign. Friday a group did a grid search and were unable to locate the deer.

Saturday my dogs found the deer within 15 minutes. He was gut shot and went uphill away from water into thick multiflora rose. He died less than 50 yds from where he was last seen.

Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:38 pm

Terrible to have a deer go to waste when it could have been prevented. I found an elk one time with a similar hit. Arrow was still in it. Three inches lower it would have been a complete miss.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Duckman056 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:28 pm

Well Randomnut YOU know I'm on a 30 year dry spell. So it's not looking good, but here's to hoping! Lol we just got to get a turkey this year.
Duckman056
Started
Started

Postby hicntry » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:11 pm

I will never understand the fascination with blood tracking. Blood stinks. Hounds track game across counties with no blood trail to help them. My dogs track game for miles with no blood trail. Maybe someone here can enlighten me on why this is perceived to be such a great feat.
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:46 pm

hicntry wrote:I will never understand the fascination with blood tracking. Blood stinks. Hounds track game across counties with no blood trail to help them. My dogs track game for miles with no blood trail. Maybe someone here can enlighten me on why this is perceived to be such a great feat.

I'm not convinced they track blood unless it's a very old track and that's all that's left. They track whatever scent leads them to the game.

The cool part is recovering game that wouldn't be recovered without a dog. That's all.
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby randomnut » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:01 pm

hicntry wrote:I will never understand the fascination with blood tracking. Blood stinks. Hounds track game across counties with no blood trail to help them. My dogs track game for miles with no blood trail. Maybe someone here can enlighten me on why this is perceived to be such a great feat.

Obviously, hicntry, your dogs are a far superior breed than the lowly Draht. I'm sure you dogs can pick up a T Rex track and follow to the fossils.

But we're oblivious to the superior breeds, happy to plod along on silly blood tracks. Plum ridiculous, I know
randomnut
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby oldtimer » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:14 pm

Because you only want to recover an injured animal. You do not want your dog running deer that are healthy, or running deer when you are bird hunting.
oldtimer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby hicntry » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:03 pm

OT, your telling me that a DD won't run a deer that jumps up in front of them?
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:31 pm

hicntry wrote:OT, your telling me that a DD won't run a deer that jumps up in front of them?

Nope, will stand and watch... steady to "flush"
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:36 pm

But, they will pursue and bay hogs????

hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion