Male or female

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Male or female

Postby Fieldlab » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:57 pm

Hi all, I am picking up a DD pup this spring I currently have a 90lb black lab male intact and a 10lb female shihtzu fixed what do you think would be a better fit ? I am thinking female who will be fixed, thanks
Fieldlab
Started
Started

Re: Male or female

Postby orhunter » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:25 pm

Females tend to be a little more driven.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby 3drahthaars » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:27 pm

Fieldlab wrote:Hi all, I am picking up a DD pup this spring I currently have a 90lb black lab male intact and a 10lb female shihtzu fixed what do you think would be a better fit ? I am thinking female who will be fixed, thanks

What does your breeder say?

Is he confident that his pups will be stable, well dispositioned adults?

There's another thread from a DD guy looking for a WPG... based on his DD's disposition with cats and smaller dogs.

My reply to both... my 75lbs/ 5yr DD female is fine with EVERY dog, every size, sex, disposition...

Pick the right breeding and you're golden, I am.

Good luck,

3ds
3drahthaars
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:53 pm

Fieldlab wrote:Hi all, I am picking up a DD pup this spring I currently have a 90lb black lab male intact and a 10lb female shihtzu fixed what do you think would be a better fit ? I am thinking female who will be fixed, thanks

I'd probably go female, two intact males in the same house can be a PIA (or not) even if they don't go at it (which doesn't automatically happen by the way.) We've successfully run up to 6 intact male DDs of various ages in a field together without any issue. However one of those dogs was the dominant male and every other male recognized that fact immediately and acted accordingly. He was one of the studs from my friend's kennel. He had another stud in his kennel that was also a true dominant male. Those 2 dogs could never be run together because neither would present a submissive posture. My buddy's male and mine run together fine, they even wrestle together pretty darn hard with no issue. The PIA part is they mark everything over and over like two idiots. Good luck with whatever you choose.
Last edited by ryanr on Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby TobyTx » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:00 pm

Dont see how one couldnt or could be a better fit. Get what you want.
Cabo vom Sendero vjp 69 hzp np
TobyTx
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:08 am

3drahthaars wrote:

There's another thread from a DD guy looking for a WPG... based on his DD's disposition with cats and smaller dogs.

My reply to both... my 75lbs/ 5yr DD female is fine with EVERY dog, every size, sex, disposition...

Good luck,

3ds

Presumably if it's socialized around the little dog as a youngster, he should be fine either way. Same thing with cats. Mine leaves them alone, but he got swatted by the grandparents cat when he was a pup and now he ignores her.

Especially with DD lines, you have to socialize that early. A dog that has fur sharpness bred into him can't be expected to instinctually differentiate between a cat and a fox.
JONOV
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Fieldlab » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:14 am

Breeder says the sire has as perfect of temperment that you will find in this breed the dam works well with other dogs however she has a few cats under her belt and they both will kill varmit if they come across one in the field but they dont hunt them, both live in the house with other dogs and children, thanks for the imput I am a Lab guy so this will be my first dd I am very drawn to there prey drive and searching ability
Fieldlab
Started
Started

Postby 3drahthaars » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:35 am

JONOV wrote:
3drahthaars wrote:

Good luck,

3ds

Presumably if it's socialized around the little dog as a youngster, he should be fine either way. Same thing with cats. Mine leaves them alone, but he got swatted by the grandparents cat when he was a pup and now he ignores her.

Especially with DD lines, you have to socialize that early. A dog that has fur sharpness bred into him can't be expected to instinctually differentiate between a cat and a fox.

Yes! But, should between fox and small breed dog.

I'm not blowing smoke, had these dogs for 25 years. I've had a knife-sharp dog that came from a line of knife-sharp dogs and turned out knife-sharp pups. Tried to breed around it twice with no success and quit... had her spayed and stopped breeding, period.

Some CANNOT be socialized enough!

There's a few breeders that have the temperament down... one almost to a science.

Again, I emphasize due diligence.

3ds
3drahthaars
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby woodboro » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:36 am

whether you get a female or male , your Lab may be the monarch of the herd.
I have had 3 males in the same household for 2 decades , right now a 13, 3,1 year old.
Ironically the 3 year old is the alpha , but I just keep all three separate to keep my life simple, without complications

Prior to that I had a 5 year separation in dogs and ironically the oldest male was the monarch , all 3 were together in the house , and he
would break up all fights... (he was an excellent dog for pups , cause pups would get away with murder around him , but if he didn't like something ,
he would just growl and all was fine. )

I guess your current dogs are going to set the tone for what will happen.
My point having all Males isn't as big of an issue , depending on how you handle them all.
I have seen females worse than alpha males.
woodboro
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby orhunter » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:50 am

"I have seen females worse that alpha males." You can take this to the bank.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:57 pm

Which of your two dogs is more likely to have a disagreement with a new addition?? Get the opposite sex of that dog.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Fieldlab » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:34 pm

Both of my dogs are crated when we leave the house and both play and get along great no agression whats so ever I have never seen my lab do anything more then growl at a another dog that tried him, and belong to a club and test in the off season he cares more about birds that being said I do think he likes his space as far as the little one she only checks some dogs that get in her face but never goes any futher I dont want to leave the new pup outside but I will if I have too, thanks for the imput
Fieldlab
Started
Started

Postby ryanr » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:43 pm

3drahthaars wrote:
JONOV][quote="3drahthaars wrote:Presumably if it's socialized around the little dog as a youngster, he should be fine either way. Same thing with cats. Mine leaves them alone, but he got swatted by the grandparents cat when he was a pup and now he ignores her.

Yes! But, should between fox and small breed dog.

I'm not blowing smoke, had these dogs for 25 years. I've had a knife-sharp dog that came from a line of knife-sharp dogs and turned out knife-sharp pups. Tried to breed around it twice with no success and quit... had her spayed and stopped breeding, period.

Some CANNOT be socialized enough!

There's a few breeders that have the temperament down... one almost to a science.

Again, I emphasize due diligence.

3ds

I know I've not seen nearly the amount of DDs & GWPs that you have but I've yet to see one that confused little dogs with vermin. (I think that post in the WPG thread about a his dog & Chihuahuas was more an assumption than known fact. Reminds me of the wrongful assumption or worry over fur sharpness and small children. The cat part I have no doubts on.) If the dog has an issue with other dogs, I haven't seen size matter where the dog is fine with medium to large dogs but somehow confuses or only has issues with small dogs. Have you seen this though?

My buddy (or rather his wife & kids) has two little lap dogs, an extra tiny shi tzu and a Chihuahua/jack russell/ pekingese mix. My DD is fur sharp with several animals under his belt but the only issue between him & those two dogs is he kind of overwhelms them trying to play with them like he does with other dogs.
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Fieldlab » Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:21 pm

That's gd to hear cause if something happens to the shih tzu me and the dd will be leaving in the kennel
Fieldlab
Started
Started

Return to General Discussion