New To This Site , WPG Question

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

New To This Site , WPG Question

Postby Drahthaarducker » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:50 am

I am new to this site. I am in search of a new dog.

I have a Drahthaar, 11 years old and is retired from duck hunting although he still goes goose hunting with me in the field,

He is hands down the best hunting dog I've ever owned. His only drawbacks , he is a cat killer, and will snatch up a chihuahua size dog in a heart beat.
This has cost me a couple of grand in vet bills over the years.

I had a friend that owned a Wirehaired Pointing Griffon, nice dog but worthless in the field. I recently meet a guy that had one and his is an excellent hunter.
My guess is my friend didn't do his homework in finding a kennel that produced good hunting stock.

My life maybe changing, I am considering a travel position on the west coast. For the next few years I wont have the luxury of a fenced in yard and kennel.
I need a dog that can be trusted in a Dog park and around small animals.

My question/ questions are..
Can anyone with experience give me the Pro's and Con's of owning a WPG
and
Can anyone recommend a good Kennel for a puppy or preferably a started dog

Thank you
Drahthaarducker
Pup
Pup

Re: New To This Site , WPG Question

Postby Meridiandave » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:14 pm

I own a WPG and they are great dogs. Mine is an excellent hunter with good range and a tight coat. We routinely hunt with Pudelpointers and GWP. Mine holds her own with all the other dogs I hunt her with as far as range and bird finding ability. My recommendation is to find a dog from a breeder that is a little smaller and has a good line through the stomach area. The big over 60 lbs fluffy Griffons are were the weaker hunters hunters in my opinion. I would look for Griffons with strong ties to midwestern dogs and not so strong ties to the East Coast or Montana dogs. Despite not as many tested dogs out west you can find dogs from those lines. Make sure the owner hunts. I hunt a lot and have gotten a pretty good feel for the breeders that hunt in the Treasure Valley area.

My dog is a clown, which is typical of the breed. We have a Chihuahua Brussels Griffon mix that is maybe 5lbs. It is by far the more aggressive dog.

I do know of a couple of litters upcoming and can point you in the right direction.
Meridiandave
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby 3drahthaars » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:57 pm

Meridiandave wrote:I own a WPG and they are great dogs. Mine is an excellent hunter with good range and a tight coat. We routinely hunt with Pudelpointers and GWP. Mine holds her own with all the other dogs I hunt her with as far as range and bird finding ability. My recommendation is to find a dog from a breeder that is a little smaller and has a good line through the stomach area. The big over 60 lbs fluffy Griffons are were the weaker hunters hunters in my opinion. I would look for Griffons with strong ties to midwestern dogs and not so strong ties to the East Coast or Montana dogs. Despite not as many tested dogs out west you can find dogs from those lines. Make sure the owner hunts. I hunt a lot and have gotten a pretty good feel for the breeders that hunt in the Treasure Valley area.

My dog is a clown, which is typical of the breed. We have a Chihuahua Brussels Griffon mix that is maybe 5lbs. It is by far the more aggressive dog.

I do know of a couple of litters upcoming and can point you in the right direction.

Yup... for any breed... dogs from where the most hunting takes place.

There are 'test' dogs and there are hunting dogs that are "tested"... there's a difference!

I'd look for dogs out of kennels in the east that regularly hunt grouse (vs. preserves), and dogs from kennels in the Midwest that hunt quail and grouse.

And, I'd look for disposition first!!!!

3ds

3ds
3drahthaars
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:58 pm

Meridiandave is spot on....with one exception. There are a couple MT breeders worth considering.

I had a Griff like your Draht. She wanted to kill everything from Coyotes on down. I feel your pain. But, when it came to small dogs, she never just went after them. The problem is small dogs showing aggression that don't have the means to back it up. She never went after any dog that didn't growl at her first. She had kind of a hair trigger because she'd been jumped numerous times by other dogs when she was minding her own business. She just got tired of it.

Finding a started Griff is a lost cause, a waste of time. If you found a worthwhile prospect, consider yourself lucky.

Griffs are not kennel dogs, they are family dogs. Live in your house, go where you go, do what you do. They thrive on human companionship. Without it, they will rot in a very lonely environment. They need a fenced yard so they can dig up all your flowers and shrubs, a favorite pastime. A dog park isn't a reasonable substitute for a romp in the woods.

Be aware, the good breeders are very picky about who gets pups and who doesn't. Having the $$'s gets you nowhere, you gotta provide the right home.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby 3drahthaars » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:41 pm

orhunter wrote:Meridiandave is spot on....with one exception. There are a couple MT breeders worth considering.

I had a Griff like your Draht. She wanted to kill everything from Coyotes on down. I feel your pain. But, when it came to small dogs, she never just went after them. The problem is small dogs showing aggression that don't have the means to back it up. She never went after any dog that didn't growl at her first. She had kind of a hair trigger because she'd been jumped numerous times by other dogs when she was minding her own business. She just got tired of it.

Finding a started Griff is a lost cause, a waste of time. If you found a worthwhile prospect, consider yourself lucky.

Griffs are not kennel dogs, they are family dogs. Live in your house, go where you go, do what you do. They thrive on human companionship. Without it, they will rot in a very lonely environment. They need a fenced yard so they can dig up all your flowers and shrubs, a favorite pastime. A dog park isn't a reasonable substitute for a romp in the woods.

Be aware, the good breeders are very picky about who gets pups and who doesn't. Having the $$'s gets you nowhere, you gotta provide the right home.

One of the reasons I pick TEMPERAMENT!!!

I have a 75# female DD that behaves around ALL dogs, cats, etc. She NEVER picks a fight.

If another animal is aggressive she holds her own, but only applies the amount of force necessary. To date, at 5-yrs she's never had a severe altercation with another dog, regardless of size.

The mistaking small animals for vermin is pure BS!!!!! I had 3 of them, listened to all of the propaganda and finally found what I liked and where to look.

A well bred DD has the switches, all of the switches. If one doesn't, you may as well have a coyote.

This one, my 4th DD is an all-around winner... you can find them if you know where to go.

Why don't you talk to your first DD's breeder, I'm sure he/she'll know what you want and where to go... might have the perfect pup just waiting for you. :wink:

Good luck,

3ds
3drahthaars
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby SwitchGrassWPG » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:26 pm

You state you are considering taking a "travel position"...does this mean you will be traveling a lot and leaving the dog at home? If so, what will the dog's arrangements be while you are traveling?
Will someone be home with it or will it be boarded? A little more information of your potential future situation would be helpful.

Jay
The only thing worse than a bad dog, is no dog at all...
SwitchGrassWPG
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Drahthaarducker » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:47 am

I have a unique job that allows me to be with my dog 24/7, except in hot weather.

By travel position,I mean I change assignments every 13 weeks the dog/dogs and I move to different locations.

Summer months I was planning on using a "Doggie Daycare"

If I stay with my current Job, I have a fenced in back yard with a dog door to the house so they have the run of the house and yard.
Drahthaarducker
Pup
Pup

Postby Meridiandave » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:06 pm

orhunter wrote:Meridiandave is spot on....with one exception. There are a couple MT breeders worth considering.

Let me clarify here. This is nothing against any current breeders in Montana. It more has to do with history.

If you look at pictures of early WPG Griffons, they were leaner, shorter coated than many of the Griffons you see now. In the early the 20th century, Montana was a hotspot for the breed in the USA. I noticed from the pictures that starting in the 1940's these dogs started to get bigger and fluffier.

Meanwhile pictures of European dogs at the same time show a much leaner, shorter coated dog. The Montana dogs became the seed for a lot of Southern dogs and north west dogs. These dogs seem bigger and fluffier than the European dogs. What it appears happened is it appears some midwestern dogs infused some European blood into their lines. These dogs seemed to be closer to the original look of the breed.

It is very possible that Montana breeders have been infusing some of these genes back into their lines. I know some Idaho breeders have. So this is not against any Montana breeders per see, only the dogs that seemed to develop there a half century ago.

3 draahthars. I would agree, although I think Southwest Idaho and eastern Oregon provide some of the longest seasons, wild bird variety, and varied conditions to test a dog. Chukar hunting will "test" hunting dogs better than anything.
Meridiandave
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby orhunter » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:23 pm

MDave: There are a lot of crappy breeders in MT for sure, just as the rest of the country.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Meridiandave » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:57 pm

Orhunter,

That may be, but that is not what I am trying to say here. I have friends who are award winning breeders. I have hunted with their dogs. They are excellent breeders. Their dogs are bigger and slower. As breeders, they do everything right. The stock just seems to come from the woolly dog lines that the back to the Montana dogs. There just not my style of dogs even within the breed.
Meridiandave
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby orhunter » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:15 pm

MDave: We're on the same page. Test scores form NA to VC, tell us nothing about the dog. Those big, hairy, lumbering brutes just don't cut it.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Doc E » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:22 am

DratDucker
Welcome !
I thought you'd get some good info here.
Good folks on this site -- they even welcomed me a number of yeas ago with my PLs. :D

Doc E
HR UH MHR WR SR Casey RIP my friend :(
HRCH HR UH Tucker 1270 HR Ch. points :D
HRCH HR UH Weezle 250 HR Ch. points :)
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Drahthaarducker » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:24 pm

This is a very helpful site :D
Drahthaarducker
Pup
Pup

Postby Reddog » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:31 pm

Meridiandave,

I live in the treasure valley. In the past I had two AKC GWPs and was overall happy with them. However, since joining this board I have become pretty curious about WPGs and VDDs. I have talked to the VDD breeders in the area and like what they are saying.

I want to call a couple of WPG breeders but have been somewhat hesitant because some on this board have not had kind things to say about some Idaho lines. Basically some say many of the Idaho dogs are pets not hunters. I do not really want to get into a discussion about who/what to avoid because it is not productive. I would be curious to know more about the litters you mentioned. Any chance you could name names...

Reddog
Reddog
Pup
Pup

Postby Meridiandave » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:50 pm

I will send you a PM.
Meridiandave
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Next

Return to General Discussion