Astro vs Alpha?

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Astro vs Alpha?

Postby blue04 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:14 pm

Ahh. That makes a lot more sense. I missed the part about the "connector" in the middle.

I did a little reading on MURS, and I'm still not sure they aren't overstating the 9 miles claim. From what I've been able to find, the max distance under perfect conditions (perfectly flat terrain, no trees or foliage in the way, transmitter and receiver both held at 5' off the ground), the max range is around 5 miles. Which probably means that in practical hunting conditions, the effective range is 1 mile or less.

While this is a lot less than claimed, it's also way more than enough for most dog handling applications. The only situation I can think of where someone would need more range than that is possibly running hounds. I've seen hounds cover several miles in some cases.

Thanks ForestDump for the details.
blue04
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mtlhdr » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:25 pm

Just saw that cabelas has the 320/T5 bundle on sale for $450.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Garmin-A ... 863524.uts
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Tom in WI » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:19 pm

I have a tri-tronics G3 collar. Im apt to use it more for training than in the field although I will admit I put it on the dog occasionally if she needs a tune up during the season.

A couple years ago I bought a Garmin Astro because my wife told me how upset she would be if I lost the dog. We hunt the big woods in Northern Wisconsin. I still run a bell and prefer to keep the dog close, but I look at is as insurance.
Tom in WI
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Previous

Return to General Discussion