Best wild bird hunting

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Best wild bird hunting

Postby orhunter » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:27 am

One thing that makes western hunting so good for the dog is the number of bird contacts during a day's hunt which can be 200/300. A bag limit of eight birds doesn't hurt either plus quail and phez. Combine the bag limits the four species one could encounter in a single day here in Oregon, it's 20 birds. And we haven't hunted ducks or geese yet.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Willie T » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:06 am

Doc, I have an old lab that knows a thing or two about big geese and grouse.

JASmith, It is the same for me when I read about chuckar hunting. Definitely on my bucket list.
Willie
Last edited by Willie T on Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Willie T
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:18 pm

Beech wrote:Living in Wisconsin I am fortunate enough to hunt grouse 30 days a year and having work and family keeps me from any out of state travel. But I always say that "some day" I will be able to do more traveling westward. All this talk about chukars and quail is giving me an itch, something to look forward to. Grouse here are a lot of fun but hunting them in deep snow as I have for the past month is hard work. The grouse are also more difficult to find here in January and late December, just ask my dog. Though the dog will probably blame me claiming that I tire out too easily the deep snow. Anyway, I appreciate the ideas and something to look forward to - someday, always someday. 8)

Put on skis. With the ones Bean's sells, you can get around without killing yourself. Fun too!
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Beech » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:48 pm

Ive got 2 meter cross country skis but those wont do well once I go off the logging road and into the bush. Was thinking snow shoes.
Beech
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby EMK » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:43 am

Just my $.02 but its hard to beat SODAK in the late fall. The variety of birds to hunt in one day is unparalleled. Flocks of hundreds of ducks and geese in the early morning. Wild roosters noon till sun down. Plus the occasional sharp tail.
EMK
Started
Started

Postby Densa44 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:10 pm

I'm not an American and I'm getting the impression that you guys don't shoot that many ducks or geese.

You have never seen anything like our waterfowl on the prairies, Saskatchewan, Alberta and Manitoba. It doesn't cost much and you can shoot at flocks that have10,000 birds.

Your dollar will go a lot farther too. BTW where I live there are hardly any other hunters, last season I didn't see any.
Pine Ridges Ginnieve NA 112 UT pz 1 200
Camridge's Sienna NA 112 UT pz 1 204
Foothill Joce NA 112
Czarina Vom Oberland VJP 70 NA pz 112
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:49 pm

I did an early Saskatchewan waterfowl hunt a few years back. We were early for the horde of northern birds to show up but it was still fun. I've looked at outfitter hunts and they appear great on the outside but the additional costs that come along with trip they don't tell you about, puts it far outside what I'm willing to pay. $9 to clean and process a bird is outrageous. Don't like paying for something I could/should do myself. I forget the other costs but they are there, kinda depends on the outfitter and the actual hunt package. Still spendy no matter how a person looks at it. We're only allowed three limits of birds to bring home and if I went, I'd want to spend a week, maybe more.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Densa44 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:09 pm

As every one in the World knows all Americans are rich. If not, you can pluck your own birds, I don't recommend it, either filet the birds or use one of those bird processors that you put on the trailer hitch, I'm sure google will have a vendor. Second point only shoot Mallards and Pintails, leave the "brown ducks" try to put in a day or two goose hunting, you will need that trailer hitch bird cleaner for that.

I think you can shoot a WT Buck, if you are short of meat. For the wt hunt you either need a guide or a "hunter host" the hunter host is free but you need a Canadian Friend, that shouldn't be too hard to find among your doggy friends.
Foothill Joce NA 112
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby LongHammer » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:34 pm

Dove season 15 mourning doves and the rest of the day shooting unlimited eurasians.
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln
LongHammer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Doc E » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:30 pm

Densa44 wrote:I'm not an American and I'm getting the impression that you guys don't shoot that many ducks or geese.

You have never seen anything like our waterfowl on the prairies, Saskatchewan, Alberta and Manitoba. It doesn't cost much and you can shoot at flocks that have10,000 birds.

Your dollar will go a lot farther too. BTW where I live there are hardly any other hunters, last season I didn't see any.

For me (and most of us on this forum) it isn't about how many birds you kill -----
It's about the quality of the hunt.

Doc E
HR UH MHR WR SR Casey RIP my friend :(
HRCH HR UH Tucker 1270 HR Ch. points :D
HRCH HR UH Weezle 250 HR Ch. points :)
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby oldtimer » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:18 am

Longhammer,
Those Eurasian collards are GREAT!
oldtimer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Willie T » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:45 am

Densa44 wrote:
I'm not an American and I'm getting the impression that you guys don't shoot that many ducks or geese.

For me (and most of us on this forum) it isn't about how many birds you kill -----

Densa, nothing teaches a young dog to hold his water, like hunting amid the vast numbers that one encounters up north.

DocE, while "body count" is no longer important to me, the combination of sheer numbers of birds and lack of competition, place waterfowling up north firmly atop my list of quality waterfowl hunting.
Willie
Willie T
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby AverageGuy » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:49 am

Doc E wrote:
Densa44 wrote:I'm not an American and I'm getting the impression that you guys don't shoot that many ducks or geese.

For me the appeal of hunting waterfowl in Canada would have little to do with the larger limits, but rather the ability to easily find places and waterfowl that will work to the call and decoy spread.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby jlw034 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:35 am

AverageGuy wrote:
Doc E wrote:

For me the appeal of hunting waterfowl in Canada would have little to do with the larger limits, but rather the ability to easily find places and waterfowl that will work to the call and decoy spread.

I'm right with ya AG. That, and escaping crowds. Here in MN, everybody and their brother hunts ducks. Gotta get to spots early, and battle skybusters. North of the border, it felt like we had the entire land to ourselves.
jlw034
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Densa44 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:47 am

Gee I just read about things I had forgotten, skybusting, for geese there is a gun captain (it could be you) and you don't move let along shoot until you are told. I haven't used duck decoys for years, if I was younger I could I just haven't. We don't think that the limits are large, depends on where one is sitting I guess. After you shoot at a big flock, if there are birds on the water both dead and alive, many times some of the originals will circle back and you can have another go. The limit is 8 and that might be your day.

You are right about the dog! A day or two of swimming to pick up 20+ ducks in the slough does wonders for keeping her steady.

When she hears the wind through their wings she looks up at them, usually before I can see them and drools!

It would be great if you could come. Y'all come ya hear!
Foothill Joce NA 112
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion