Best wild bird hunting

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Best wild bird hunting

Postby gwp4me2 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:54 pm

Densa44 wrote:Gee I just read about things I had forgotten, skybusting, for geese there is a gun captain (it could be you) and you don't move let along shoot until you are told. I haven't used duck decoys for years, if I was younger I could I just haven't. We don't think that the limits are large, depends on where one is sitting I guess. After you shoot at a big flock, if there are birds on the water both dead and alive, many times some of the originals will circle back and you can have another go. The limit is 8 and that might be your day.

You are right about the dog! A day or two of swimming to pick up 20+ ducks in the slough does wonders for keeping her steady.

When she hears the wind through their wings she looks up at them, usually before I can see them and drools!

It would be great if you could come. Y'all come ya hear!

Be careful..... You might get 100 new friends in the fall. Wouldn't that be fun, a vdoggers get-together for 3 or 4 days! Set the dates!
gwp4me2
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:15 pm

I'm in...... I don't care what's going on or where.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:11 am

Densa, we were in Man. A couple years ago for snows and had a great time until we were rained out. DIY hunt. Couldn't believe what the outfitters charged. If I remover right, three days was about $2,500.00 and didn't include food and lodging. They also wouldn't take just your group so you could end up with 8-10 guys in the set up. Too rich for this poor Yank.

Loved it up there though. People were great!
I just hate seeing birds die of natural causes unless I'm that natural cause.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:14 am

Beech wrote:Ive got 2 meter cross country skis but those wont do well once I go off the logging road and into the bush. Was thinking snow shoes.

Snow shoes tangle in the brush and are awkward. Take a look at the Atlai Hok ski is. They're only about 4' long and you can wear you're hunting boots while using them. I cross country as well but I don't use them hunting.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:13 am

"Rich Americans" I suppose everyone has their own idea as to what constitutes "rich." I don't see my wife and I as being part of that elite group. The wealth we've been able to accumulate has been through, saving, investing, living below our means, paying cash not living on credit, and work, the old fashioned way. Makes it lots harder to let go of, like paying $9 to process a bird. I believe in money well spent, not throwing it at the wind just because I can afford to. But, no one can ever accuse me of not paying my way. There's thrifty and there's the tightwad who's wallet never leaves his pocket when it's time to pay up.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Densa44 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:41 pm

I think I see the problem, some of them anyway, the outfitters want to make a "living" in just the 8 weeks more less when the hunting is good. I suppose it is supply and demand.

The other point made here already, and they don't get, is the desire for a nice peaceful day with you dog. There are so many people that it is tonnage that they want, pictures with piles of birds and smiling hunters. That's what they say here about "tourists" that is another word for Americans, behind their backs.

That's too bad really, I carry a gun about 50% of the time, the other 50% I just run my dogs and let the other people shoot.

Oh and I don't know any one out here that wants to pluck birds. I have an electric one but you need very hot water, the younger guys use that trailer hitch rig that looks like a shovel off of a cultivator.

I don't think that you need a guide. You can contact some of the counties in Sask or Alberta and to a lesser extend Manitoba and see if they are nice to you and what do they suggest. You will never be younger!
Pine Ridges Ginnieve NA 112 UT pz 1 200
Camridge's Sienna NA 112 UT pz 1 204
Foothill Joce NA 112
Czarina Vom Oberland VJP 70 NA pz 112
Densa44
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GONEHUNTIN' » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:40 am

We were never refused permission to hunt fields by a single farmer in Man. But there were quite a few other hunters around. People couldn't have been nicer to us. I've never hunted Sask. Or Alberta.
GONEHUNTIN'
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Scott Linden » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:22 am

orhunter wrote:Chukars and Huns because you get to mix hunting with gorgeous country. They are spooky birds so dogs get a real training experience in how to handle them. They are the best birds for a young dog.

Yes, head for NE and OK for these wily birds ... there are none in Oregon or Idaho.
www.scottlindenoutdoors.com
Follow the hunter with the longest nose!
Scott Linden
Master Poster
Master Poster

Previous

Return to General Discussion