Elk kill

General Sporting Dog Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Elk kill

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:07 pm

I live on a farm in eastern Oregon and we've been under several feet of snow for weeks now. A herd of elk hung hung out for awhile eating my native grasses in the pasture out front, and when they left last week there was a calf left behind. Maybe it was too small to manage the snow drifts, don't know? Anyway, I've been feeding quail and turkey and this elk calk started coming in at night regularly for some hay and I recorded it on the trail camera. Then one morning a few days ago I was awakened to a torrent of coyotes howling and later saw bald eagles and numerous raven across the creek where there was a presumed kill. I managed to get over there and there was an elk carcass that had been picked clean in one night and day! Was it the calf?

I moved the camera from the feeding station over to the kill area that night. The following images show the elk herd in my front yard, then the elk calf at the feed station, and then turkey coming in. The next images were taken a day later at the kill site, 1/4 mile away. I first recorded a bobcat, then two coyote, then two deer investigating the kill, then four coyote more, and then an opossum. Last night I moved the camera back to the original spot and no elk calf was seen.

Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Elk kill

Postby AverageGuy » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:02 pm

Proof that nothing goes to waste in the Natural World. That camera you are using takes a lot better photos than the 6 Bushnells I am running on my place at the moment.
AverageGuy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mtlhdr » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:11 pm

They sure picked that thing clean in a hurry. Cool photos. What do you suppose those turkeys were doing around the carcass?
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Bruce Schwartz » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:21 pm

The whole animal was picked clean in 24 hours!

The photos come from two locations, the turkey picture and the picture of the elk feeding at night were at one location (where I was feeding some corn and hay) and the others were taken at the site of the kill, about a quarter mile away.
Bruce Schwartz
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Bigearl » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:59 pm

I've seen deer taken at night with a permit. Went back at dawn to remove the carcasses and there be nothing but a skeleton left. It doesn't take but a handful of coyotes to consume a smaller carcass like that in a few hours.
Bigearl
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby blue04 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:06 pm

I've seen several gut piles from deer completely consumed in less than 8 hours. I remember my cousin shooting a deer in the morning. I helped him gut it right next to his deer stand, then I went back through there about 5 hours later. I had to walk past his stand to get to one of mine. To my surprise, there were no guts left at all. In fact, it was just a few drops of blood. It looked like the coyotes had taken the time to lick almost all of the blood up from the surrounding sticks and leaves.

It's shocking how fast they can clean things up.
blue04
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Doc E » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:14 am

Are you sure it was Coyotes --- or could it have been Wolves ?
The wolves in my area are big time Elk eaters.

Doc E
HR UH MHR WR SR Casey RIP my friend :(
HRCH HR UH Tucker 1270 HR Ch. points :D
HRCH HR UH Weezle 250 HR Ch. points :)
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to General Discussion